Loader 3rd Function kit intallation issue on a L4740 with a backhoe

/ 3rd Function kit intallation issue on a L4740 with a backhoe #1  

Danc

Tractor
L4740
Hi,

I am posting here to seek information from people who might have got a similar issue.

Long story short I had my Kubota dealer install a Kubota 3rd funtcion kit on my L4740 hoping this would be an easy thing for them to do.

Boy was I ever wrong.

1st time they came, the Valve was missing from the kit.

2nd time they came with the wrong kit, they had the one for the Cabin model (L2227). The mechanic proceeded with the installation, stating that the pipes and connections were the same. Eventually when he got to the joystick.... he finally found out it was not the same thing.

3rd time he came back with the joystick and attached everything and left.

I went to try it out and to my surprise (or not that much really) the loader would not raise, the only way I could do this was by activating curl/tip at the same time and then the loader would lift or lower bucket..... doesn't make any sense.

They were supposed to come back today but when I called, the rep was sorry and said the mechanic had an issue with a previous appointment and they will come only next friday.

I checked my QD and they don t seem to be blocked.

Any idea what might be the problem? (else than my wonderful Kubota dealer.....).

Sorry for my English, it s not my primary language and honestly all this adventure over a 3 weeks span is really getting to me :(

Thanks in advance

-Dan

/ 3rd Function kit intallation issue on a L4740 with a backhoe #2  
You mean to say they didn't fire up the tractor and check out the operation of the bucket and 3rd function system before they left? Unbelievable on their part!

I really can't help you out, but I would guess they had the hydraulic plumbing wrong.

/ 3rd Function kit intallation issue on a L4740 with a backhoe #3  
When my dealer installed the 3rd function on my l6060hstc back in December they said the backhoe stopped working. It delayed my delivery but they figured it out. Something was plumbed incorrect but I didn’t get specifics unfortunately. I think the salesperson told me they had to call Kubota corporate who I think led them through troubleshooting to find the issue.

I agree with the last post, I am also surprised they didn’t test all functions for you. Next time they come be prepared to have an implement you can test the third function with and test all other functions before they leave. Likely they hopefully learned their lesson leaving like that.

I would be cautious about running it in the current condition without consulting the dealer. If something is plumbed badly incorrect it could cause other issues. Likely not the case but you definitely don’t want to be responsible for anything if so.

Matt

/ 3rd Function kit intallation issue on a L4740 with a backhoe
Thanks to both of you.

I was working when they came in so I wasn`t there.....(big mistake it seems). I also was surprised that the mechanic did not check it before leaving. Fortunately I am off friday and if he comes I ll be watching for sure, ans they are not leaving until they test everything.

My assumption is also that something is incorrectly plumbed, I checked the assembly manual of my loader (fortunately I kept it since I bought the tractor) and the plumbing looks correct, however the manual doesn`t show the backhoe

plumber to the PB port of the loader valve.

The 3rd function is plumbed from the 'P' port to the hydraulic pump and the discharge (5 I believe) to the tank.

I ll try to take some pictures tomorrow and post them here.

Attachments

• FEL valve.JPG
    FEL valve.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 147
   / 3rd Function kit intallation issue on a L4740 with a backhoe #5  
When they fix things, make sure the leaskdown rate on the valves is acceptable. They can be pretty bad. My L4060 has had chronic leak down problems on my TnT cylinders. It's actually in the shop now for that while I'm out of town.

Problem solved...... now I feel a little stupid.

The fender is still off the tractor and the problem was caused by the 3 point lever being pulled back too far (beyond the normal limit set by the slot when the cover is on the fender).

When I pushed it to it`s normal limit everything came back to normal. No leak down problem either it seems.

Thanks to you guys for hinting me in that direction.

I called my Kubota dealer and let them know about the solution so if another of their customer runs into a similar problem, they will be able to let them know....

Now if my EA wicked grapple can be cleared by the Customs...... the fun will begin. :)

-Dan

/ 3rd Function kit intallation issue on a L4740 with a backhoe #7  
Problem solved...... now I feel a little stupid.

Now if my EA wicked grapple can be cleared by the Customs...... the fun will begin. :)

And my jealousy starts. I have my kit installed but am having to wait to order my grapple...

I hope you have fun with your grapple.

/ 3rd Function kit intallation issue on a L4740 with a backhoe #8  
Good luck with your L4740;my L4240 has been really good.My three point lift is a little out of adjustment and if I fully raise it the rear the hydraulics go bonkers.

And my jealousy starts. I have my kit installed but am having to wait to order my grapple...

I hope you have fun with your grapple.

I installed it this weekend, smooth operation, strong and light. Unfortunately had to put it away, snowstorm hit us again..

All I can say is that they are worth every dollar and waiting time.

EA are doing their best to provide them as fast as possible but without neglecting the quality.... I had to wait almost 4 weeks for mine, which is not that long.

/ 3rd Function kit intallation issue on a L4740 with a backhoe #10  
where are you in quebec. I have plans for an ea grapple when I upgrade my tractor. Glad you got things sorted out. I was under the impression position control would not create that problem.

Your english is pretty good.