MX5200 vs. MX5800

/ MX5200 vs. MX5800 #1  

coolbrze

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800
Got it narrowed down to these 2 tractors. When does the turbo on the MX5800 shine & when would I be better staying w/ a MX5200? Work will consist of a steep mountain property - clearing trees, downed debris, moving rocks, bush hogging a little, property is steep & 1,500' elevation. Other property is 65 acres of farmland 300' elevation that I'll be bush hogging & clearing trails. Will eventually add a grapple to the front for brush & logs but prob. not for a year or two.

/ MX5200 vs. MX5800 #2  
Got it narrowed down to these 2 tractors. When does the turbo on the MX5800 shine & when would I be better staying w/ a MX5200? Work will consist of a steep mountain property - clearing trees, downed debris, moving rocks, bush hogging a little, property is steep & 1,500' elevation. Other property is 65 acres of farmland 300' elevation that I'll be bush hogging & clearing trails. Will eventually add a grapple to the front for brush & logs but prob. not for a year or two.

Im sure you do but... You know they are both turbo charged right?

/ MX5200 vs. MX5800 #3  
If you bought extra hp then tried to save fuel by lowering rpm you could be in for trouble. With CUTs if rpms aren't kept up (say upper teens vs at 'PTO rpm' far above it) you might end up in 'regen' more often than you'd like. Don't know that size would make that much different. Remember that tractor specs typically refer to the full rpm range as 'idling' speed. ("let 'er rip!")

If o'all size and engine displacement of the different models is the same I would be less hesitant to spring for the extra power. I'd also say the width of your BH would deserve the most consideration among your proposed uses. t o g

/ MX5200 vs. MX5800 #4  
You'd like the extra hp when bush hogging thick grass, unless you're only gonna run a 5' mower, in which case it won't matter. Those machines would be good with a heavier duty 6' or if you're mowing pasture a twin spindle 8'. There's grass that would make the extra power appreciated with either of those mowers. Otherwise you'd notice it in high range going up hill, or maybe pulling a substantial trailer up a hill in medium. Beyond that, for what you describe, it won't make much difference. You'd never notice it during loader work.

/ MX5200 vs. MX5800 #5  
Shuttle, not HST?

/ MX5200 vs. MX5800 #6  
Got it narrowed down to these 2 tractors. When does the turbo on the MX5800 shine & when would I be better staying w/ a MX5200?

Both MX5200 and MX5800 have turbocharged engines.

The extra 6-1/2 horsepower of the MX5800 may allow you to operate an increment wider/heavier Rotary Cutter.

Tractor horsepower relates primarily to what size/type of PTO powered implements you wish to operate.

/ MX5200 vs. MX5800 #8  
I often wish my MX5100 had an extra 6 or 7 HP.

Bushogging as others mention....more power may allow you to go a little faster.

Road gear....and/or hills. IF HST trans.....you may find yourself having to shift from M to Low without the extra power....or if gear you may need a downshift that wouldnt have been needed with more power.

And for me, Plowing and discing. I have a 3-14 plow, and a big disc. Really would be nice to do it in M range.....but bogs down the machine to the point I am going no faster than just running Low range. Which is hard on the machine leaving it in M range and letting it lug. So I put it in low. And Low is SLOOOWWWW for turning around or backing up to make the next pass. Its like the size disc and plow I have are caught right between the gearing I have. M is too fast for the power, and Low is too slow for my liking.

IF not a huge jump in price, I'd look at the MX5800

/ MX5200 vs. MX5800 #9  
If the transmission is a factor, the MX5800 is only available with HST.

/ MX5200 vs. MX5800 #10  
We opted for the MX5800 over the MX5200 for the increase in hp at not a huge cost. Although we can't compare with the 5200, we are very happy with the 5800.