Modify BX2200 for hand controls

/ Modify BX2200 for hand controls #1  

DrDan

Gold Member
Tractor
G1800 & BX2200
I am considering the purchase of a BX2200 and am a paraplegic (Fell out a tree 17 years ago). Anyhow I have no use of legs so I need to run everything with my hands. Currently I have Kubota G1800 which has a hand lever called a cruise control which I use to run the HST. The BX2200 has no such device so I am wondering how hard it would be to attach some sort of a hand lever (I'm thinking like a hydraulic clutch master/slave cylinder mechanism). Also what other foot controls are there that I would need to modify? Any mechanical engineers out there to help with my quest for digging, dozing, mowing, etc. LOL Boys never quit liking to dig do they? The sandbox just keeps getting bigger... (and more expensive).

Thanks,

DrDan

/ Modify BX2200 for hand controls #2  
DrDan, I am not sure how much use of your arms and hands you have but it seems to me that a long aluminum tube about 3 feet give or take, about 1inch diameter, or thin wall 4130 steel welded or such as building a bracket to replace the footpedal and in it's place install the tube or possibly have it clamp to the foot pedal so your wife can also use the tractor with it removed? Is this practical, I do not see a down side, it could even be extended a bit to the side and the tube bent back so as to place the handle end in a convienient location. Hope this sparks some ideas for you. J

/ Modify BX2200 for hand controls
Yes an extension rod from the pedel sounds reasonable and much easier than hydraulics, but....

I don't want to have to keep my hand on it all the time. I believe the pedel returns to neutral when you take pressure off right? Hmmmmm Any other suggestions will be helpful. Somehow I will adapt it. LOL After 17 years in a wheelchair I have become a master at adaptation. I once drove a car <in a pinch> with two broom sticks with holes bored through the end and wired to the brake and gas pedels and lived to tell about it.

Differently Able - Not Disabled

DrDan

/ Modify BX2200 for hand controls #4  
DrDan, be patient on this one! There was a thread last year where another TBN member modified a Kubota for hand controls. It seems that Carvers did the work, but I am not positive on that one. Bird, Von, or one of the guys with a good memory will pin it down sometime later today I'm sure.
Best of luck with it, and I am sure the answer is here but we just gotta dig it out!

/ Modify BX2200 for hand controls #5  
Yes, Scruffy is correct, there was thread…. But it may have been on the old forum. We may have to get Muhammad's help to resurrect it.

DrDan; In addition to the right-side HST pedal, there is also the break. On the left side, the differential lock and parking break are foot controlled..

Roy

/ Modify BX2200 for hand controls #6  
Scruffy, I don't remember just when, or which model Kubota it was, but I think you're right. I think Carver rigged one with hand controls for someone within the last year or so.

DrDan, an e-mail to Steve Carver would probably be a good place to start.

Bird

/ Modify BX2200 for hand controls #7  
DrDan, look down under general topics under Attachments and Carver has a post there about hand controls/special apparatus. It seems they have done this before so maybe you need to get in touch with him for this "special apparatus" needs for your new tractor. Good luck. J

/ Modify BX2200 for hand controls #8  
DrDan,

I built an airplane several years ago. My hangar partner has a simple philosophy: "Anything can be built". That doesn't mean there might not be challenges.

That said, I think that it would be relatively easy to attach a bellcrank to the HST control (where the pedal attaches now), and run a push rod up alongside of the throttle (or where you prefer). Once that's done, there are several ways to set it up for "cruise control" or whatever. I'm actually thinking of some sort of fricton lock that can be disabled with a lever or something.... That way you could "lock" the HST at a certain speed, and if need be flip the lever to let it return to neutral. Likewise you would need to rig up something for the brakes.

Does the BX have a differential lock? If so, that would be a little easier. Just a simple rod/lever running up under the seat.

Do you have any hills to negotiate?

BTW - My former boss is also in a wheelchair. He had a motorcycle accident when he was 18. Doctors told him he would be lucky to live to 30. Well he's 50 now and still going strong.

The GlueGuy

/ Modify BX2200 for hand controls #9  
Yes, the BX has a differential lock just like the other Kubota tractors. It is located on the left floor just outboard of the brake lock. Hope you are getting some good ideas. J