L2550dt front axle problems

/ L2550dt front axle problems #1  

Groo

Platinum Member
So I noticed a oily disc on the ground while loading up some gravel. After looking at it closer I realized it was an oil seal of some sort that match the drive-line color of the Kubota. I pulled it into the garage and began looking around for where it goes. It turns out to be the plug at the bottom of the turning shaft on one side of the front axle.
There wasn't tons of oil in the area of the plug, so I guessing there is some damage.
any pointers on what to look for and what to replace regardless?
how likely is it that the other side is fine?
Any Kubota junk yards out there in case I need a whole front axle?

/ L2550dt front axle problems #2  
Is it the round approximately 3" plug that is leaking? I have a L2550DT and have worked on the front end quite a bit over the first 5500 hours.

/ L2550dt front axle problems
I don't know if it was leaking before, but I found it on the ground and there wasn't much oil in the area. Wild guess is heat from running relatively dry built up pressure and popped it out.

I am thinking maybe all bearings and seals? I am hoping the gears weren't too damaged.

/ L2550dt front axle problems #4  
My 2550 had no vent to the axle. I drilled and tapped a barbed fitting in the fill plug and ran a hose up to the engine compartment.

well, prices all bearings and seals and it came out to about $400. I guess about what I expected, but still some sticker shock. I think I'll do some more investigating before I place the order.

/ L2550dt front axle problems #6  
I would agree. Be absolutely sure where the leak is coming from. I worked for some time trying to cure leaks in the front end and after replacement of seals, I discovered hairline cracks in the bevel gear housings just above where the housing rotates on the axle. The casting at that point was only about 1/8" thick. That was the point where I set my wheels to the narrow position as opposed to the wide position. These housing were about $600 each 15 years ago. I have cracked no housings since. With the wheels in the narrow position, the wheels are centered over the housing as opposed to leveraging against the housings in the wider position.

Where do you live?

I would agree. Be absolutely sure where the leak is coming from. I worked for some time trying to cure leaks in the front end and after replacement of seals, I discovered hairline cracks in the bevel gear housings just above where the housing rotates on the axle. The casting at that point was only about 1/8" thick. That was the point where I set my wheels to the narrow position as opposed to the wide position. These housing were about $600 each 15 years ago. I have cracked no housings since. With the wheels in the narrow position, the wheels are centered over the housing as opposed to leveraging against the housings in the wider position.

Where do you live?

these front wheels look like they would not allow a wide-set. 20180415_171155.jpg

I live on the MI/WI boarder

there is a great deal of grit sitting on top of the bearing exposed by the loss of the plug. Looks like a mix of dirt, burnt oil and metal bits.
The outer stub bearings feel good.
the two gear I could see look worn, but good enough for an old tractor.

I need some more tools to dig in deeper. I'll spend the rest of the day messing with snow.20180415_171155.jpg

/ L2550dt front axle problems #8  
You can drain the center of the axle. I would be curious to see how that grease looks.

Do you have the snap ring pliers for the ring to drop the bearing out and check it?

I finally got the upper opened up. It was fine. The other side was full of oil when I opened it up. I didn't open up the center, but I suspect it is fine too.
I couldn't get the pivoting section off the upper, even after removing the snap-ring. Not sure If I missed something, but I don't really need to get it off. looks like I got off easy; just the lower bearing on the one side.

Think the cap that popped out on its own is reusable? I'm not sure I can easily get a replacement.

/ L2550dt front axle problems #10  
I finally got the upper opened up. It was fine. The other side was full of oil when I opened it up. I didn't open up the center, but I suspect it is fine too.
I couldn't get the pivoting section off the upper, even after removing the snap-ring. Not sure If I missed something, but I don't really need to get it off. looks like I got off easy; just the lower bearing on the one side.

Think the cap that popped out on its own is reusable? I'm not sure I can easily get a replacement.

I have reused the caps many times. Are there any shims or washers that may have slid into the groove where the retainer ring sits?