M59 backhoe hook operation

/ M59 backhoe hook operation #21  
Ok, I'm working alone, so can't get to the controls and push on the boom far enough out to get leverage. I'll give it another try when the kids get home.

Can you still get it to power swing in one direction? If so, that's exactly what mine did & why I raised one side of the tractor with the stabilizer leg - so I could sit in the seat and work the swing lever while gravity did the swinging in the unpowered direction.

Just so you know you can do it yourself with gravity - but I agree that's no reason to deprive the kids of the fun.
rScotty

Last edited:
   / M59 backhoe hook operation
Had my daughter hold the controls while I pushed. Once it got past about the 1 o'clock position I didn't have to push anymore, gravity took it all the way to the left extent. Still wouldn't work despite me running all the controls and running high and low RPM but the very moment the tractor was leveled it worked. Like immediately. I don't know it it was being level that mattered or the jarring when the big rear wheel hit the ground, but it came back like nothing was ever wrong.

So thank you very much for the great tip and if any future operator has the same problem maybe this extra data point will be helpful.

/ M59 backhoe hook operation #23  
Had my daughter hold the controls while I pushed. Once it got past about the 1 o'clock position I didn't have to push anymore, gravity took it all the way to the left extent. Still wouldn't work despite me running all the controls and running high and low RPM but the very moment the tractor was leveled it worked. Like immediately. I don't know it it was being level that mattered or the jarring when the big rear wheel hit the ground, but it came back like nothing was ever wrong.

So thank you very much for the great tip and if any future operator has the same problem maybe this extra data point will be helpful.

Glad it worked for you. And welcome to the club.

/ M59 backhoe hook operation #24  
I have never experienced that issue with my B26, I wonder what Kubota did differently with the M59 that causes that problem.

/ M59 backhoe hook operation #25  
I have never experienced that issue with my B26, I wonder what Kubota did differently with the M59 that causes that problem.

Just to be clear, the problem we are talking about is a temporary erratic backhoe valve operation. It responds to cleaning, and sometimes spontaneously clears up. The speculation is that the cause is some sort of debris - often rubber bits - that get caught in one of the valves in the backhoe circuit and causes the problem.

It doesn't happen very often. Mine seems to be typical. It happened once about 5 years ago and not since.

It's not just the M59. Although I've not seen anyone going through the various model posts and comparing numbers,
I do recall that we have several threads that have the same thing happeningsome of the L45/48 series and I believe an L39 as well. I don't know if it has happened on a B26, but don't know that it hasn't. For that matter, I wonder if it is a known problem with other makes of backhoe as well?

We do know it's not a problem for every Kubota TLB, or even every M59. My suspicion is that it is valve and hose problem that affects other models and other makes too. Who knows how many spontaneously clear up? Back in 2012 we had 35 M59s on TBN and probably as many today. Of these, maybe 4 or 5 have reported the problem. A couple of them were able to tell which valve was affected and reported that after cleaning some rubber bits out of the valve it worked again.

So where did the rubber come from? Since nothing else about the backhoe or hydraulics, HST, or oil seems to be affected even years later, my guess is that the rubber particles came from the insides of hydraulic hoses which had been replaced and not properly cleaned out when the hose was cut and the ends put on.
That's just a guess, but it fits the facts. Next time I replace a hose you can bet I'm going to clean it out good before it goes on the tractor.

Maybe a hydraulic shopowner will chime in. And it would help if someone better than I am at cutting and pasting would put this valve problem portion of this "M59 backhoe hook operation" into a form where it can be more easily found by subject when someone is searching.

rScotty

Last edited:
   / M59 backhoe hook operation
So second major day on the M59 helping the neighbors fill some potholes in the road and it happened again. Within 30 minutes, actually. Same deal to fix it. Tilted, got someone to hold controls while I pushed over, revved up engine, dropped wheels, worked.

So I'm going to call a Kubota dealer and have them come out and look at it. I'm also going to have them look at the thumb because the pedal seems very sloppy. It also stalled on me while I was going up a hill, which I thought the HST+ wasn't supposed to do, so I will have them drive it around and grab some dirt from the pile and do a sanity check for me. I just don't know enough about what a 600 hour M59 should feel like. At this point a few hundred to figure out if I got bum deal is the least of my worries.

rScotty, interesting bit about rubber, I DID have 4 pairs of hydraulic lines added after purchase. Maybe the backhoe was fine until very recently?

/ M59 backhoe hook operation #27  
So I'm going to call a Kubota dealer and have them come out and look at it. I'm also going to have them look at the thumb because the pedal seems very sloppy. It also stalled on me while I was going up a hill, which I thought the HST+ wasn't supposed to do, so I will have them drive it around and grab some dirt from the pile and do a sanity check for me. I just don't know enough about what a 600 hour M59 should feel like.

There is a stall guard function (at least on my L4060) that will prevent stalling if you have it enabled in the computer. Might want to poke around in the intellipannel to make sure its enabled. You can enable auto-throttle to link the go pedal & throttle as well as auto-shift for the 2 speed HST+ in there as well.

I've stalled mine a handful of times, but I was either using the PTO hard, or in drastically the wrong gear. Chat with your dealer if stall guard was enabled.

/ M59 backhoe hook operation #28  
Oops. Posted in wrong thread lol

Last edited: