Oil & Fuel BX 2360 run with no oil.....

/ BX 2360 run with no oil..... #1  

csr0831

Silver Member
HI Folks......Ok...I feel like a REAL idiot here. I was changing the oil in my BX and my Gravely Saturday. Finished the Gravely and put it away. Went back to the BX to start it and move it to level ground so I could check the oil. Started it....the oil light did not go out and from the sound of the engine you could tell it had not picked up pressure yet. Revved it up to maybe 200rpm a couple of times really quick, just up and down to se iff the pump would pick up oil. Light was still on. so I drive it to level ground slowly. Total run time was maybe....a minute....or a minute thirty. Cut it off and then I remembered I never put the **** plug back in....grrrrrrrrrrr. I was on the grass so I never heard it coming back out like I would have if I have been on concrete. After hurling profanities at myself for the next 30 minutes I went and got more oil, PUT THE PLUG BACK IN, and filled it to the proper level. The motor started and picked up pressure with in a second or two. No unusual sounds and I drive it about 300 feet to the shed and parked it. The question is, how likely is it that I caused any significant damage? My feeling is that it's probably fine, but I thought I would ask those that are more knowledgeable then I about it. Thanks everyone!

/ BX 2360 run with no oil..... #2  
For that short a period of time - I doubt any damage was done. It didn't get that hot and for that short period of time had adequate lube in the critical areas.

However - I wouldn't recommend this as a normal procedure.

/ BX 2360 run with no oil.....
For that short a period of time - I doubt any damage was done. It didn't get that hot and for that short period of time had adequate lube in the critical areas.

However - I wouldn't recommend this as a normal procedure.

Thanks' for taking the time to respond.....no, it wont happen to me again.......not a crime to be stupid, but it sure can be inconvenient.......

/ BX 2360 run with no oil..... #4  
As long as the bearings held a little oil, you might be OK. It’s probable that you may have shortened the life of the engine, but no way to tell without looking at the bottom end.

Hope everything works out.

/ BX 2360 run with no oil..... #5  
I'd say as long as the engine didn't start making bad sounds, you're probably ok. Having said that, when the oil light comes on, shut it down!!!!!!! Someone on another forum just did the same thing, ran it for two minutes after the oil light came on and probably ruined the engine. Seems to be a run on this type of thing lately. Nevertheless, I think you should be ok. Best of luck!!

Last edited:
   / BX 2360 run with no oil..... #6  
If I take the engine oil plug out, the key comes out of the ignition switch and they are next to each other on the floorboard.

David

/ BX 2360 run with no oil.....
All excellent comments guys and very much appreciated. I have learned my lesion! The thing that really REALLY pisses me off is that I am normally so **** careful about that kind of thing. @#)$((#@#_)

/ BX 2360 run with no oil..... #8  
Several years ago we had a Chrysler 300M that I put the drain plug back in but didn't add any oil. It probably ran for about 20 seconds though, I caught it right away. Also did a lot of work on a car once and forgot to put anti freeze or water in it. It happens to the best of us.

What did it do to your engine? It sure didn't help it any. If you said a minute or less I'd say it did no damage it all, but when you said for a minute or more and you upped the rpm's, it probably did some damage to the bearings. How much who knows without a tear down but I wouldn't do anything about it. If it starts having problems you will know why but my guess is it will be fine unless you get thousands of hours on it.

/ BX 2360 run with no oil..... #9  
Probably didn't hurt it at all. There was no load on the engine. Just don't do it every time you change the oil!

/ BX 2360 run with no oil..... #10  
Old Ford pickup with a straight 6, my brother and his pal ran it all over town doing one wheel burn outs with no oil it in and it refused to stop running they eventually gave up trying to blow the motor, teenagers.