Not taking grease,how to resolve?

/ Not taking grease,how to resolve? #1  

davedj1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
I decided to grease the Kubota 2850 loader this afternoon, wouldn't you know the very first zerk I hooked the grease gun to would not take grease, just built up pressure and I had all I could do to get the tip off the zerk. This it the top of the lift cylinder and it's doing the same thing on both sides :( I removed the zerk and I can squirt grease through it so it must be clogged up internally. Any quick cure? Or should I just pull the pin and clean everything up? The loader looks to have been greased regularly but they are the only two that won't take grease. I'm going to have to pull the lower bucket pins as both of those zerks are AWOL ...LOL
Thanks.

/ Not taking grease,how to resolve? #2  
Best to pull the pins and clean out the opening on the pin. After cleaning it out try to put grease in before you put the pin back in.

/ Not taking grease,how to resolve? #3  
With the zerk removed you can try using a piece of soft wire to clean the old grease out and then flush with brake clean, reinstall and try greasing again or one of the impact cleaners with light oil in it. Then grease.

/ Not taking grease,how to resolve? #4  
I've found on several occasions that "jiggling" the joystick relieved pressure and allowed zerks to take grease on my TN 55's FEL.

Steve

/ Not taking grease,how to resolve? #5  
Best to do just what you plan to remedy the situation.

Two won't take grease, two other points with grease zerks missing? Doesn't appear to me that it had been greased regularly. :confused3:

/ Not taking grease,how to resolve?
Best to do just what you plan to remedy the situation.

Two won't take grease, two other points with grease zerks missing? Doesn't appear to me that it had been greased regularly. :confused3:

Thanks everybody
By "it looks like it was greased" I meant there is grease remnants all over the zerks and around the sides of the pin. I will pull them one by one and clean and get them working.

/ Not taking grease,how to resolve? #7  
Thanks everybody
By "it looks like it was greased" I meant there is grease remnants all over the zerks and around the sides of the pin. I will pull them one by one and clean and get them working.

If you want to buy a lifetime tool for quick/easy zerk clean out, you could get a "Grease Buster" from LockNLube Grease Coupler | End Greasing Frustration.
You do not need to remove the zerk.

I do not have one, but it looks like a great concept.
Cost is $42.95, but it should last a lifetime.

I am already 77, so "lifetime" is not long enough for me.

/ Not taking grease,how to resolve? #8  
If the pin is rotated just right and the loader has pressure on it you cannot get grease to do in it until you relieve the pressure from the loader

/ Not taking grease,how to resolve? #9  
As others have said...

Lock 'n Lube makes unhooking the grease gun easy. It's stupid overpriced costing as much as a grease gun, but worth it.

Try moving the hydraulics. The pin might be pushing up against the grease passage. Moving the loader or bucket (or whatever) can sometimes fix this.

If a Zerk itself has issues just throw it out. A lifetime supply for a home gamer (box of 100 assorted sizes & angles) is $10. Not worth it to mess with cleaning them.

If those options dont help, probably best to remove the affected pin & clean things. There are tools you put over the zerk & hit with a hammer to try & hydraulically force grease in at higher pressure than a grease gun. Personally I find them a great way to take the heads off a zerk forcing you to pay penance for your stupidity by then needing to remove a broken zerk with no head to get a wrench on.

/ Not taking grease,how to resolve? #10  
If you want to buy a lifetime tool for quick/easy zerk clean out, you could get a "Grease Buster" from LockNLube Grease Coupler | End Greasing Frustration.
You do not need to remove the zerk.

I do not have one, but it looks like a great concept.
Cost is $42.95, but it should last a lifetime.

I am already 77, so "lifetime" is not long enough for me.

I wondered how well these work in actual situations like this. They sell another brand I think I saw at TSC or RK called a grease rejuvenatior or something along those lines. Supposed to whack it with a hammer and it cleans things out. I run into these situations every once in a while and always wondered if those tools would be worth the money spent to alleviate the headache :)