Kubota L3940

/ Kubota L3940 #1  

eddieirvine

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L 3940
Anyone have a problem lifting with the bucket when you have a full load of dirt, If i go into a load of dirt I have to back up and go forward a couple times and then it will lift with no problem. Is this normal or is there a hyd adjustment to increase the lift? I don't want to ruin anything by changing it, It is not a big deal just wondered if anyone else has this problem, if it is a problem?

/ Kubota L3940 #2  
On my L4060 with the medium loader I can't lift the loader after digging into the bottom of a pile of loose material (pea gravel recently). Need to back out from under the pile on top of the bucket a bit to lift. Mine will lift 1,890lbs or so + pallet forks (maybe 200lbs), which is somewhere around what its rates to, if I could remember what that was offhand. Plenty for as heaped as I can get anything in my bucket heaped as high as I can fill it, as long as there isnt a pile I'm digging in supporting even more than would fit in a heaped bucket.

Get a hydraulic pressure gauge rated to 3,000psi or so & a Quick Disconnect to fit somewhere. A rear remote is the easiest to plug into & see if you have one, if not a loader QD will work. Actuate the appropriate valve for a few seconds to see what it makes out at (don't hold it for to long, but you won't cause any issues unless you hold it for a while). I dont recall quite what mine, much less yours maxes out as according to the specs, but it will be pretty close to 2,500psi.

If it's off, you probably want to adjust it to the top end of the spec range. That usually involves adding some shim washers to the relief valve. I'd highly recommend getting a workshop manual. They are a couple hundred bucks from the dealer, or can often be found lurking around as .pdfs online if you look. Not cheap for the legitimate ones, but very worth it. Gives you all the details on adjusting the relief valve or pretty much anything you or your dealer would need to do to maintain or repair your machine.

/ Kubota L3940 #3  
Anyone have a problem lifting with the bucket when you have a full load of dirt?

If i go into a load of dirt I have to back up and go forward a couple times and then it will lift with no problem. Is this normal or is there a hyd adjustment to increase the lift?

Do you have 4-WD engaged, pushing into the dirt?

If you curl the bucket up as it enters the pile it will tend to spill off excess material weight above the bucket, which bucket cannot contain anyhow. Without curl, you are probably attempting to lift 150% of bucket volume capacity.

Your L3940 Owner's Manaul recommends this technique. Read it?

Last edited:
   / Kubota L3940 #4  
jeff9366 is correct.

I think what you are describing is normal. I've never owned a tractor that would lift a full bucket of heavy material without curling and lifting at the same time. If I was to just ram into a pile and try to lift while continuing forward motion, the loader will stall.

Last edited:
   / Kubota L3940 #5  
Yep, same situation was recently discussed in a similar thread a few days ago. You can not expect a loader to lift a full bucket of heavy material while buried into the pile. It is trying to lift the bucket full plus more material from the pile on top of it.

/ Kubota L3940
Thanks guys, I had some time today and slowed down and used curling the bucket better and did much better, I know in the past it turned out to be the guy on the seat ME that needed to think about what I was doing! can't push a hill of dirt it won't work Thankyou