Default BX23 fuel tankwill only fill with 3.5 gallons

Ran out of diesel in my BX23, had just filled it up the day before. Used most of the day but it runs quite a while on a tank. Thought it might be a filter, disconnected the line into the bottom filter and no diesel. Inserted a long piece of stiff wire into tank and it came out wet. Filled up tank and it only took 3.5 gallons more or less. Any ideas?

Beaver Dam Wisconsin then to Hohenwald, TN
    Tractor
    John Deere 3720

Default Re: BX23 fuel tankwill only fill with 3.5 gallons

Filter plugged?
    JD 3720 with R4s and bulldozer capabilities.
    X740

13 Millimeter = 1/2"--------25 Milimeters=1"-----------100 Millimeter = 4"----------1 Meter = 40---------1 Kilometer = 3300' or 5:8 ratio

A 13mm will but will be just slightly larger than a 1/2" nut.

Tractor
    Kubota X 4

Sounds like the crossover vent hose is plugged. Tip tractor over on to left side and fill.

David
    Grand L3130GST LA723 Loader, ATI grapple, ATI grapple bucket, WR Long front remote, Kubota rear remotes, Bradco 408 Backhoe with thumb, 60"KK brush hog, 60" RM Finish Mower, Speeco Post Auger, 72" KK rear blade, 60" box blade
    BX2230 LA211, RCK60, GCK60 Bagger,42"Land Pride Tiller, XB BB, XB RB, rake, Fimco 3PT sprayer
    G2160 RCK60 Mower
    RTV1100 Orange, Work Lights, Front Rear Winch,Rear Screen, High Mount air cleaner, water seperator
    2010 Polaris RZR 800 S
    2007 CAN AM Outlander 800 LTD

Tractor
    MF 2660 LP, Kubota B2150, Kubota BX2200, MH Pacer, Gravely 5660, etc.

I'm not 100% sure of the differences or sameness of my BX2200 with your BX23. I have experience with a BX2230 and another BX2200 besides mine. I never did get more than about 3.5 gal of fuel into mine when it appeared empty. Partly because if I fill it totally full it will leak.

These machines all HAD a known defect where the tanks leaked if they were totally filled. Not sure when or if that defect was corrected, recalled or fixed. I am not up on exactly the final answer as to the cause. Some say it was a vent that was poorly located, a poor reverse flow vent protection, etc. Regardless I just know not to completely fill it in the sense of being to the top of the filler. I do fill it to where the gauge reads very close to full.

The tank is a contorted odd shaped thing to begin with and I never dug into it. I know of dealers who have pulled the tanks off (to try to cure a "shuts down when hot" issue) and hints that "the older ones had a leaking issue." Way too much sheet metal and nuisance job to remove and investigate for me.

Anyway, my point is that 3.5 gal usually fills mine when near empty and there is reason in my case at least not to fill it completely to the filler opening.
    jwr
    ------------------------------------------------------
    MF2660 LowProfile, 7', 5' and 4' BushHogs, Orsi Articulated boom hydraulic rotary cutter, Lane Shark FEL-mounted hyd cutter, Landpride 6' finish mower, Kubota BX2200, Two Kubota B2150's, 5' snowblower, 6' blade, scraper box, Gravely 1983 w/sulky, mower & snow blower, misc. attachments. Pequea 1018 deckover trailer, half interest in Massey Harris Pacer family heirloom... and a lot of junk...

Tractor
    Kubota X 4

If you look at the parts breakdown, there is a vent line going from engine to left side of tank and one going from left side to right side, a large amount of capacity is in the rleft side above the low point under the seat and can become airlocked. Parking the tractor on a slope with the right side higher usually will allow the tank to take more fuel.

David
    Grand L3130GST LA723 Loader, ATI grapple, ATI grapple bucket, WR Long front remote, Kubota rear remotes, Bradco 408 Backhoe with thumb, 60"KK brush hog, 60" RM Finish Mower, Speeco Post Auger, 72" KK rear blade, 60" box blade
    BX2230 LA211, RCK60, GCK60 Bagger,42"Land Pride Tiller, XB BB, XB RB, rake, Fimco 3PT sprayer
    G2160 RCK60 Mower
    RTV1100 Orange, Work Lights, Front Rear Winch,Rear Screen, High Mount air cleaner, water seperator
    2010 Polaris RZR 800 S

Tractor
    MF 2660 LP, Kubota B2150, Kubota BX2200, MH Pacer, Gravely 5660, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by David_Kb7uns View Post
    If you look at the parts breakdown, there is a vent line going from engine to left side of tank and one going from left side to right side, a large amount of capacity is in the rleft side above the low point under the seat and can become airlocked. Parking the tractor on a slope with the right side higher usually will allow the tank to take more fuel.

David
    Hey David, that is great info. Do you know how this plays in to the leaking problem people have had over the years ?
    jwr
    ------------------------------------------------------
    MF2660 LowProfile, 7', 5' and 4' BushHogs, Orsi Articulated boom hydraulic rotary cutter, Lane Shark FEL-mounted hyd cutter, Landpride 6' finish mower, Kubota BX2200, Two Kubota B2150's, 5' snowblower, 6' blade, scraper box, Gravely 1983 w/sulky, mower & snow blower, misc. attachments. Pequea 1018 deckover trailer, half interest in Massey Harris Pacer family heirloom... and a lot of junk...

Tractor
    Kubota X 4

I know some of the models had a leak in the gasket of fuel sending unit.

The BX has a main tank and then below it there is a second fuel tank that has a couple of vents to main and the fuel return from the engine and is also fed from the main tank. I am guessing that this is so that if you are on a hill the fuel will not slosh around and allow air to get sucked in by the lift pump. With all the vents and fuel lines there are quite a few places where you can get a leak.

I have already replaced sections of fuel line by the engine when I upgraded the fuel filter and use the Gates Barricade fuel line and it resists the Bio Diesel pretty good.

David
    G2160 RCK60 Mower
    2010 Polaris RZR 800 S

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Early 22/23s either leaked fuel around the sending unit, or the tank got a crack in it up high. Problem seemed to occur when tanks were nearly full. At least, that's my recollection.

My BX2200 will hold nearly 5 gallons when tank is about empty.
    Ron