BX-23 Frequent FEL/Backhoe Removal

/ BX-23 Frequent FEL/Backhoe Removal #1  

mrgries

Tractor
Kubota BX-23
I use my BX-23 primarily for mowing (60" MMM), with frequent use of the FEL and occasional use of the backhoe. It is much easier/faster/less bumpy to mow my yard (well, moderately tamed 5 acre field really) with the FEL and backhoe removed. Unfortunately, I have no good place to store the FEL/backhoe once removed and therefore wind up removing them and re-attaching them each time I mow, which may be multiple times per week if the weather doesn't cooperate and I can't get it all done on the weekend. My question is this: would it be better to leave them off and subject to the weather (covered with tarps), or continue the detach/reattach cycle (with accompanying slight loss of hydro fluid and any associated wear and tear) and store the entire unit in the shed?

Thanks for any insight.

Mike

/ BX-23 Frequent FEL/Backhoe Removal #2  
For me it's all about the time element. The loss of hyd. fluid is insignificant as is any wear and tear associated with the repeated install/removal cycles. I got my hoe lightly used and it had sat outside at the dealer for a couple of years so I'm not too worried about it sitting out some more. If I know I'm going to be using it again, I'll leave it on. If not, I park it outside. If I had more than one tractor, like some of our other members, I'd surely have one set up permanently as a TLB.

Your main question has to do with the outside storage of the hoe. I think you have nothing to worry about there, particularly if you tarp it. To be extra safe, you could wipe a light coat of grease or oil on the exposed cylinder rods and don't let the tarp touch those areas (condensation).

Eventually, I'll have a barn big enough to not worry about such things /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ BX-23 Frequent FEL/Backhoe Removal #3  
I don't see any problems leaving it off the tractor in the warmer months, however I would acquire some pallets to keep them off the ground. I also don't like covering things with tarps, but rather prefer to have them "tented" with a frame work keeping the material off the equipment. This will allow air circulation over, around, and under the equipment. I would also give it a coat of wax before storing them and spray the exposed chrome rods of the cylinders with WD40. This will help to prevent any rusting of the cylinder rods. Where ever possible, connect the hoses together rather than using the rubber caps. This will keep the hydraulic system sanitary with the least possibility of contamination from dirt. Wipe everything off with clean cloths when you are ready to reinstall and you should be set for the summer months. In the winter, I would like to see them under cover in a garage if possible. If not, consider purchasing a portable building such as a "CoverIt"...

/ BX-23 Frequent FEL/Backhoe Removal #4  
My BH stays off the BX22 unless I'm actually going to use it or it's winter and I'm using it for ballast in the back for plowing. It's parked on a flat spot on the hill behind my shop and is not covered. No issues after two years. The FEL remains with the machine whenever I'm not mowing so that Dr. SWMBO can use it whenever she needs to...she's not comfortable installing and removing it. Since the FEL takes about two minutes total to install and remove, I don't find that cumbersome.

/ BX-23 Frequent FEL/Backhoe Removal #5  
Dr. SWMBO /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ BX-23 Frequent FEL/Backhoe Removal #6  
She Who Must Be Obeyed /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif John

/ BX-23 Frequent FEL/Backhoe Removal #7  
Might have missed something, but when I take my FEL off my 2200, I have a neat little "parking" area for the tractor between the attachment arms of the loader. If you can park the whole unit, with loader in the shed, why not just "park" the tractor as if you had the loader on? I know if the wife wants to put the truck in the shed, I have to do this so that she does not dent the Bota with her truck............she would be in lots of trouble for that /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ BX-23 Frequent FEL/Backhoe Removal
DannyD,

good suggestion, but my shed is really just that - a 12' x 24' shed with plywood flooring. It could be my inexperience showing, but repeatedly attaching/removing the FEL in the shed would booger up the floor something awful. I suppose I could put down an extra sheet of plywood to absorb the damage. That would still leave the backhoe though, but it comes off even easier (for me, anyway) that the FEL. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike

P.S. - can someone please tell me how to include some/all of a post to which I am replying? I've looked through the basic instructions and I'm not seeing what I'm sure has got to be an easy way of doing this. Thanks again.

/ BX-23 Frequent FEL/Backhoe Removal #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Dr. SWMBO /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif )</font>

John is correct. The "Dr" part is because SWMBO has that title and it's good to honor the supreme being... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ BX-23 Frequent FEL/Backhoe Removal #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( P.S. - can someone please tell me how to include some/all of a post to which I am replying? I've looked through the basic instructions and I'm not seeing what I'm sure has got to be an easy way of doing this. Thanks again. )</font>

Click on "Quote" rather than "Reply" and the previous text will be supplied.