3 PT Hitch

/ 3 PT Hitch #1  

Rainbow6

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 2518-48
I have read several posts saying that the 3 Pt hitch on the BX2230 are "limited" and not true Cat 1. Can someone explain what this refers too?

/ 3 PT Hitch #2  
It is limited in the amount of hight that you can obtain as a result of design by Kubota. The BX series is actually a downsized version of a larger tractor and it has its limitations of power to lift a loader bucket or operate some cat 1 implements. This is why some of the manufacturers have started to make implements that are "sized" for the BX and other "sub compact" tractors. As an example, a standard PHD (post hole digger) is too long for the BX tractor. To accommodate this, some manufacturers have designed a PHD that has a shorter auger. It all has to do with the size of the BX tractors lower stance. This lower stance is a result of smaller tires to keep the tractor in proper prospective to its overall dimensions. It wouldn't look or function correctly with larger tires, and given the fact that it isn't very long, it also would look even stranger having large rear tires spaced very close to the large front tires of a standard sized tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif It was designed to fit a particular market segment that wasn't being address by any other manufacture at the time and that is what has led to its success. I think of the BX series tractors in the same relationship as the VW Beetle.... the right tractor at the right time for the next generation of tractor owners. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 3 PT Hitch
Well hey, that all makes sense. It works fine with my 4' boxblade but would not accept the PHD that I used to place my deck foundation. Its a true 3 pt hitch, just limited in its application. ( So, I guess I'll keep it after all! ) Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ 3 PT Hitch
So, what type of implements can the NH and MF handle that the BX cannot? If they can handle much larger then are they true subcompacts, or are they closer to compacts such as the B2410 by Kubota ect.. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ 3 PT Hitch #5  
I went to my dealer yesterday and got another adjustable lift arm for the 3ph. They come with an adjustable lift arm on the right, but the left is a solid arm. My balast box would not raise high enough (on the stationary ancors) without both arms adjusted up all the way. Second adj. arm solved the problem. This may also help with using other implements, but I am sure the shaft linkage also has to be the correct length.

/ 3 PT Hitch #6  
<font color="blue">So, what type of implements can the NH and MF handle that the BX cannot? If
</font>

Well this is just a guess, since I don't have a MF or NH...

I have a 6' landscape rake and rear blade that would not lift high enough on the BX to swing around 180 degrees. I had to modify the lift rods by drilling a hole higher, as there is space. There are several threads here on that modification.

My Post Hole digger that works fine on my B2910 will not work on the BX...not a chance. Maybe if I could make some kind of adapter, but it is easier for me to just use it on the larger tractor...

My guess that there are other things as well. A second guess would be that some things that need rotated sometimes are more of a problem than things that don't need rotated. I have never tried using my 5' box blade on the bx because it is really to large anyay...

/ 3 PT Hitch
Having just downsized from a L3010 I understand the limitations of the hitch on my BX2230. I was wondering why it seems to be a factor when people are shopping for a subcompact and choosing between the Kubota, NH, MF ect..
Is the Kubota hitch inferior to the others?

/ 3 PT Hitch #8  
Woods' makes a complete line of implements just for sub compacts called the "estates series".......they all work great on the Bx2200 and Bx2230...

/ 3 PT Hitch
King Kutter makes em also, I plan to get a few as years go by.

/ 3 PT Hitch #10  
I can't say, because I am not an expert on implements, tractors, or the different brands of tractors. There are some here that believe that they are and have all the answers to this and other questions. Instead of the BX being accepted as its own class of tractor, there are always those certain few that believe that it should be compared to other larger tractors that also have Cat 1 set ups. The truth be told, there are some implements that even the "compact" tractors can't handle and require a larger tractor with the Cat 1 set up. I have two landscape rakes and they are both fine on the BX tractor. The tractor hasn't any problem pulling them, however occasionally a root will grab the rake and the tractor will stop. Possibly if I had a larger tractor, this wouldn't happen, because either the tine or the rood would sub-come to the pressure. I look at the BX the same way that I look at a pick up truck. It is designed to do a certain job within its limitations and no more. If I want or need a large truck than a pick up, then I will purchase a larger model. If the pick up fulfills my needs 95% of the time, I am satisfied. Some will demand 100% of the time, but for me that isn't realistic. I just want to enjoy my tractor doing what it is designed to do best and leave the rest to its bigger brothers that I will bring home when the need arises.