I think I'm Removing the Foldable ROPS...

/ I think I'm Removing the Foldable ROPS... #11  
Re: I think I\'m Removing the Foldable ROPS...

Nope. Would not do that.

If your getting into areas that would be better served by a lawn mower, get a lawn mower.

What happens when someone calls on you to move something off thier lot?

What happens when you do any lifting with the FEL?
Run at high speed?
Sharp turns?

Your worried about running into something? How about running OVER something to change your angle?

What about someone plowing into you, while on your tractor?

What about pulling stuff?

Too many whats.....

Sorry, but IMHO, not a good idea. This equipment has this for YOUR safety in mind.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ I think I'm Removing the Foldable ROPS... #12  

Bill, you might be thinking of an old post of mine where I told of moving a large rock in the bucket of my old Minneapolis Moline Big Mo. The front wheel dropped down into a soft spot on the ground and the whole tractor went over on its side. The area was level, but the machine had enough forward motion that was suddenly stopped and that the energy had to go somewhere. The forward momentum flipped the machine. I was thrown off of it in the process, but could have been crushed under it also, if I wasn't thrown. A ROPS wasn't necessary in this instance to stop it from rolling over 180 degrees, because the large hoe boom prevented that, but a seat belt would have kept me on the tractor. If it wasn't for the fact that I landed on a pile of weeds, I would have been hurt more. I could have landed on a stump or a rock. That machine weighed about 8000 pounds and it was flipped like a coin in the air in seconds. Too fast to even react. That was the deciding factor to selling it.... Too big and newer machines are safer. Seat belt and ROPS are the only way to go today. Life is too short, and to make it even shorter by a tractor accident, isn't in the cards for me... I hope.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ I think I'm Removing the Foldable ROPS...

O.K. I get the point.

I will use ROPS with the implements and take it off for lawn mowing.

I am going to replace the bolts and castle nuts with removable pins.

Now I am going to go put on my Nomex fire suit while I wait for the flames. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But seriously, thanks for your opinions and safety concerns. I am all about safety, but also consider risk.

/ I think I'm Removing the Foldable ROPS... #14  

I don't think anyone here wants to flame anybody -- just want to keep as many TBN'ers around as possible. I have a BX22 and almost tipped it over carrying an 8' pine tree with the FEL too high. All it took was turning on to a driveway that had a 1 1/2" lip on it. My BX quickly became the most expensive laxative I ever had.

/ I think I'm Removing the Foldable ROPS... #15  

I posted something about almost tipping my 2200 also. I was moving a boat trailer by hooking a chain to the boat hitch and one side of the bucket. I lifted the hitch, which was already high to let the boat drain.

I was backing up (looking backward) and turning, when unknown to me, the long bolts for the rear trailer roller sunk in the ground. This stopped the trailer, which tightened the chain. As the chain tightened, the loader started tipping the tractor.

ONLY because I was in 2WD, when the right rear wheel came off the ground, the tractor momentum stopped.

I sat there a couple of minutes and contemplated life. Had I been in 4WD, I don't know how much more it would have tipped. I'd like to think the trailer would have pulled free, but maybe not............................. I've since built a hitch mount for my bucket that allows me to pick the trailer up on a ball, I make sure I'm in 2WD, and I go slow when moving that trailer.

My ROPS will stay on ALWAYS. (But I do plan to either build one that will fold or I plan to mod mine to fold--I need it to fit in a building on a trailer. I know, I know, this violates all the rules about not doing it.......)

/ I think I'm Removing the Foldable ROPS... #16  

Please don't remove it...banging other objects is much better than banging your own head.....

stumper

/ I think I'm Removing the Foldable ROPS... #17  

My neighbor is the medical examiner for Multnomah County in Portland, Oregon. She says that tractor deaths are caused by rollovers. NO surprise here. She also says if you have the ROPS in the upright right position then you must wear your seat belt of it can cut you in half. She knows. If you have the ROPS in the down position you must not wear your seat belt or the tractor will kill you when it rolls over. She knows that as well…
I have the retractable ROPS but I have never had it in the down position. I really do not know why I bought it? Sure I hit branches all the time. I have a pear orchard and they are viable targets as far as I am concerned.
Safety comes first. I put the seat belt on before I even leave the garage.

/ I think I'm Removing the Foldable ROPS... #18  

two words: Pole saw. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ I think I'm Removing the Foldable ROPS... #19  

I was listening to the scanner yesterday when they called out the fire and ambulance to the scene of a tractor rollover. The guy was in his field. Someone else called 911 and they said that he was pinned underneath. I don't know how it flipped because all the land around here is flat, but as far as I know, he died. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ I think I'm Removing the Foldable ROPS... #20  

From what I understand the reason why people have foldable ROPS is to get their tractors in and out of the garage. I also figured resale it may be worth something?
I seriously thought I may be using mine in the down position more often, but no way Jose! For safety reasons it is up 100% of the time.
I have a rather large garage with 9 foot doors so this helps...