mowing speed

/ mowing speed #1  

majorwager

Veteran Member
Tractor
kubota mx 5100 IH 484 ford 1620 lull 844b
Recently noted a FL member reference 1-3/4 to 2-1/2 mph mowing speed. Mower type wasn't indicated but thread dealt w/ finish mowing. The reference was 48" and 60" cutting deck width.

My befco C-70 is factory rated @ 8 mph, 3 point finish style. I mow @ max pedal in med HST range.

Do folks actually mow around 2 mph?

/ mowing speed #2  
I'm faster than 2mph most of the time, but well less than 8. My house lot is not that big, and slower gives a cleaner cut for me.

Ron

/ mowing speed #3  
I just finished mowing the 6 acres around my house. It took 2 hours using my L6060 and LandPride 84" 3 pt mower. I mostly mow at 8 to 8.5 MPH, a bit slower in spots. At 2 MPH, it would have taken all day.

The mower does cut better at slower speeds but my time is worth more to me than having a manicured lawn.

/ mowing speed #4  
I have about 6 acres that I mow. Most of that ground is rougher than a cob. Being hard packed clay there is not much I can do with it, other than till it and start over. Rolling the ground every spring has not made much difference in it. So in my case I mow as fast as I can without cracking my teeth or giving myself a hemorrhiod. Probably about 3-4 MPH.

Everyone will be different depending on hills, obstacles, and roughness of the terrain.

Joe

/ mowing speed #5  
I have a BX and mow flat out in low range or even a little slower. I bet it isn't much faster than 3 mph. My yard is rough enough that is about all I can take for speed in terms of bouncing around.

/ mowing speed #6  
Everyone will be different depending on hills, obstacles, and roughness of the terrain.

And the height of the grass being mowed and how short it is being mowed, dull or sharp blades, etc, etc. Just like the selection of tractors and equipment, there are so many different variables according to everyones situation.

I could not tell you how fast I mow (MPH), I have never payed the slightest attention to the speedometer. I do know what my RPM my PTO is set at (540) and what gear I do most of my mowing in (Kubota GST). But even the gear selection varies whether I am mowing in my orchard or in an old open hay field which looks more like a lawn after a couple of years of using the finishing mower on.

/ mowing speed #7  
I have a BX and mow flat out in low range or even a little slower. I bet it isn't much faster than 3 mph. My yard is rough enough that is about all I can take for speed in terms of bouncing around.

Here is a reply in context with subcompact tractor under discussion here:
LINK TO OTHER THREAD: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...395897-looking-first-tractor-sub-compact.html

DODGE MAN mows his yard. Implement unspecified.

JERIK mows pasture. Considering purchase of a Flail Mower.

Pasture maintained, or NOT maintained, by others for twenty years. A Flail mower, which JERIK is considering, will require more power from the subcompact tractor than a 48" Finish Mower. A Flail is heavier than a Finish Mower and it will bounce the light subcompact tractor more mowing pasture.

I believe 1-3/4 mph mowing speed for a subcompact tractor with two-range HST, operating a 48" Flail mower, mowing old pasture, is a likely prospect.

Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower

I bought a 9 acres spread 20 years ago as a retirement home. We rented out the house and paid someone to bush-hog the half of the fields twice a year for $500 a pop. Two other fields were being hayed by a neighbor, and another neighbor fenced in another pasture for their cow. But now the cow is gone, the first neighbor is talking about moving further south, and we are in the house. I figure it is time for me to do the mowing.

Any comments, advice, and/or suggestions would all be appreciated.

Unless your pastures are rut, bump and hole free, the dinky wheels on a subcompact tractor will give you a bucking bronco ride which will slow your mowing.

Here is a mowing calculator. I hate mowing in hot months. With a 48" mower, nine acres at 1-3/4 mph will take more than ELEVEN uncomfortable hours. With larger wheels 2-1/2 mph is reasonable with a 60" mower = 6.5 hours mowing time.

Mowing Calcuator | How many acres can I mow in an hour

The diversity of opinions offered on T-B-N is its strength.

Last edited:
   / mowing speed #8  
I mow as fast as the ground conditions and thickness of pasture allows. If I can mow 8-10 and stay in the seat without tearing my stuff up and maintain a good cut I’d be happy to. If it’s thick and dragging the tractor down I’m limited by that.

Brett

/ mowing speed #9  
Recently noted a FL member reference 1-3/4 to 2-1/2 mph mowing speed. Mower type wasn't indicated but thread dealt w/ finish mowing. The reference was 48" and 60" cutting deck width.

My befco C-70 is factory rated @ 8 mph, 3 point finish style. I mow @ max pedal in med HST range.

Do folks actually mow around 2 mph?
Only my 85 year old neighbor mows at 2MPH or less. He has an old tractor type mower with 3 speed transmission and only goes in 1st gear. He as a 1/4 acre lot with house and 3 sheds on it. I can mow my 6 acre yard, starting after he does and finish before he does. I mow at full speed mostly as long as the ground isn't too rough to stay on the mower with the seat belt fastened.
The only time I have to go slower is if I use the mower to mow the cow pasture. It is just too rough to hang on at 9.9 MPH.

/ mowing speed #10  
I do understand why Jeff said 2 MPH when using a flail mower with a BX tractor. He likely wont have the power to go much faster in high grass.
I recommended the OP in the original post to ditch the tractor since he didn't want an FEL and just considered it for mowing. Get a Zero Turn mower which is designed strictly for cutting grass and he will get the job done much faster