Damaged gearbox seal surface

/ Damaged gearbox seal surface #1  

Zick

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX 2350
So I had the mower gearbox seals replaced by the dealership a few years ago because it was leaking and just last week it started leaking again. This time I had time to try and repair it my self so I took it apart and found this. There is a small gouge along the surface right where the lower seal sits. :mad:
What would you guys do, put the seal in a pray or try and repair this somehow?

Attachments

• 20180524_184735a.jpg
    20180524_184735a.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 20180524_184620b.jpg
    20180524_184620b.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 151
   / Damaged gearbox seal surface #2  
JB weld and sand or a smidge of silicone. It's not under pressure so that's what I would try.

/ Damaged gearbox seal surface
Thanks, I managed to sand it down the rough edge sightly. Tough to get in there without disassembling the whole gearbox.
I'll try adding some silicone, add suggested type that will stick or hold up to the gear lube?
Wonder if this would have any negative effects w/ the rubber seal? Permatex(R) Gear Oil RTV Gasket Maker - Permatex

/ Damaged gearbox seal surface #4  
Rub some of that permatex on both surfaces. It should seal up just fine

/ Damaged gearbox seal surface #5  
Let us know how it turns out. I've done similar repairs successfully and that one looks like it will work. I'm glad to know about the Permatex product. I've never used it, but have seen lubs do weird things to silicone sealers.
In general, if I don't have a sealer made for the particular job I'll use Dow Corning 3145 gray. About $30.00 per 3 oz. tube on Amazon. Expensive goo, but good in environments where all other sealers fail. It uses a different catalyst from othe silicones. No acetic acid smell.
rScotty

Well during the tear down I obviously did not pay enough attention and now I don't know which way this seal goes?
The seal has a metal washer on one side. I'm thinking I put it in backwards as it sits right against the boss spline.
The new seal is in and the old one is on the table.

Attachments

• 20180529_185153.jpg
    20180529_185153.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 90
   / Damaged gearbox seal surface #7  
Check the other spindles, which way are the seals installed?

/ Damaged gearbox seal surface #8  
an old T shirt stretched over the hole and seal tamped in will work on worn housings

Check the other spindles, which way are the seals installed?

Good thinking!
The two outer spindles are slightly different setup than the middle but hopefully the seals are all facing the same way.

Thanks

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 55
Mowed about 2hrs yesterday and so far no leaks that I can see. :)