Paint quality, various brands

/ Paint quality, various brands #1  

napabavarian

Silver Member
Tractor
2006 Kubota L3830
I've seen rustoleum and paint in tractor supply in kubota orange, I wondered if anyone has experience with these long term, I'd like to avoid paints that will oxadize and become chalky.

/ Paint quality, various brands #2  
I've seen rustoleum and paint in tractor supply in kubota orange, I wondered if anyone has experience with these long term, I'd like to avoid paints that will oxadize and become chalky.

IMO Rustoleum is a quality product and I have always gotten excellent long lasting results...as long as the instructions were followed...especially on the primer...

Good Luck...

/ Paint quality, various brands
I have found the professional line of rustoleum in rattle can great and long lasting, the less expensive line would oxadize, I'd like to see that the can's of paint are longer lasting.

/ Paint quality, various brands #4  
I have used rust oleum with very good results but don't use the other brand they sell. It does not hold the color good is like water to put it on

/ Paint quality, various brands #5  
Not all Kubota Orange looking paints are equal!!!

I have places on equipment that were touched up when new by dealer and matched that have now aged and have faded to a beige/tan leaning tint. These were done on the mower decks and non Kubota backhoe subframes with spray cans.

The Kubota rear wheels were done with the non spray touchup paint with the brush and bottle match closer with a fade towards the red/orange side.

If its the tractor I would lean towards the Kubota spray cans and Van Sickle for implements for a good quality match. Use Rustoleum or other cheap ones on box blades and buckets and others with high wear.

David

/ Paint quality, various brands #6  
I've used rustoleum in gallons and spray with Wagner air-less paint sprayer, goes on thicker and holds color better. Spray cans will leave a decent later of paint and hold some gloss, but do fade faster, no matter the brand.

Prep work is key no matter what the top coat is.... paint is the easy part. Good prep = good job.

/ Paint quality, various brands #7  
I liked the large PRO cans of Tremclad Gloss Black. I used to buy it on sale at Canadian Tire. I have not seen it for a long time on sale.

I was at a liquidation store. He had cases of WorkDay Paint. Gloss Black, Alkalyd. It was two bucks a can so I bought a case. Looked on line and found it for 2.75. I felt ripped off. Supposed to be a cheap paint for stencils and other temporary stuff.

Then I spoke with a friend that says they use that paint at their shop for everything. Thought it must be the same brand, but a higher quality paint. I was there and looked. Same paint!

/ Paint quality, various brands #8  
If you're painting a Kubota, their spray paint in rattle cans is very good- covers well, holds up well. I have used other brands of Kubota orange and not been impressed. I also used a quart can of Kubota enamel, sprayed over epoxy primer, and was pleased with the results of that, as well. A bit pricey, but good quality.

/ Paint quality, various brands #9  
Store bought are not commercial paints and Kubota brand paint is a synthetic enamel, In the auto paint world. Synthetic enamel would have been something like Dulux in the 80's, Its the lowest of the qualities in auto paint, up from that is acrylic enamel (Dupont Centari was an example) then you get into single stage urethane then polyurethanes (aircraft) Imron etc. Look at AIC by Sherwin Williams.its an acrylic enamel. its hard to get reducer and hardener for these paints though. for a small job. ask the paint supplier who does small jobs in the area. you might be able to buy enough from them. The hardener will harden with time, so you want to use it .

/ Paint quality, various brands
Any experience with valspar? I found it on amazon for $20-23 / qt and hf sells their top end gravity feed spray gun for $70 min a 20% coupon.