The 7610 is down

/ The 7610 is down #1  

Yankee

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610
Hit a bump yesterday, stalled, and wouldn't re-start.

I finally discovered a blown solenoid fuse, replaced it, and it promptly blew out again as soon as I hit the starter. Well, OK, I may have tried 3-4 fuses of various amperages (all equal or less than the original - even I'm not that stupid) before it dawned on me that there was a pattern ...

I didn't see any obvious bare wires, shorts, etc., (nor do I have the knowledge or equipment to test electrically) so on one final try I separated the wiring in the immediate vicinity of the solenoid, making sure they weren't touching other wires, the frame, or the solenoid, replaced the fuse, the tractor actually fired up and I got to the driveway.

Having already called the dealer and scheduled a warranty call, I thought (a mistake, I know ...) that perhaps I could isolate the short (see also comments above on knowledge and equipment), so armed with a pencil (!) with which to fiddle wires about, I opened the hood on the running tractor, which, no doubt aware of what was about to happen to it, promptly stalled again - with blown fuse. Intelligent little tractor, isn't it?

The dealer's serviceman is due at 9:00 AM tomorrow!

Bill

/ The 7610 is down #2  
Sorry about your problem. Keep us informed. There are several TBN members that have the same tractor and we want to know what the problem is in case it happens to us. There is nothing worse than a tractor that won't run when you need it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Good luck.

/ The 7610 is down #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Sorry about your problem. Keep us informed. There are several TBN members that have the same tractor and we want to know what the problem is in case it happens to us. There is nothing worse than a tractor that won't run when you need it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Good luck. )</font>

Yep, there are several--including me. In a way it was good that the problem didn't cure itself before the service call. You never quite trust a problem/solution that fixed itself.

I'd be interested to see if there are any bare wires at a connector or a wear through on a wire bundle. It may give us a tip where to tie wrap the wiring in our 7610s as a preventative measure.

Dave

/ The 7610 is down
"a way it was good that the problem didn't cure itself before the service call. "

Yes - after getting it started again, my biggest concern was making sure the problem could be found. I didn't want to get stuck again.

"I'd be interested to see if there are any bare wires at a connector or a wear through on a wire bundle. It may give us a tip where to tie wrap the wiring in our 7610s as a preventative measure."

I'll let you know what they find.

Bill

/ The 7610 is down
Problem fixed - the rear worklight (dealer-installed at purchase) was wired incorrectly and into the ignition circuit. The tech rewired it into the headlight circuit. He found the problem in a couple of minutes. I guess I had the new guy the day the tractor was prepped, though someone should have checked his work. That was #2, the first being the FEL pins not being greased, which was caught at delivery by the more senior tech who brought the tractor.

Sidenote - I asked about putting in a 12v connection somewhere in the rear of the tractor. He said not to tap into the tractor's wiring harness, but to run a new circuit from the battery, fused close to the battery and in a wire loom. He said some of the more common problems stem from people installing electrical accessories and screwing up the factory wiring, which is normally pretty bulletproof.

Bill

/ The 7610 is down #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Sidenote - I asked about putting in a 12v connection somewhere in the rear of the tractor. He said not to tap into the tractor's wiring harness, but to run a new circuit from the battery, fused close to the battery and in a wire loom. He said some of the more common problems stem from people installing electrical accessories and screwing up the factory wiring, which is normally pretty bulletproof.

Bill )</font>

Seems the point is proved since the dealer wired up the light wrong...now if they would have followed their own advice...

/ The 7610 is down
"Seems the point is proved since the dealer wired up the light wrong...now if they would have followed their own advice..."

Yep.

Bill