Did I kill it? 2016 L4701 HST stopped moving while mowing. PTO Dead too

/ Did I kill it? 2016 L4701 HST stopped moving while mowing. PTO Dead too #1  

Nilesw

Bronze Member
I have a 2016 4701 HST with 87 hours and use it primarily for bush hogging. Today while bush hogging on some hills in 90 degree weather, the tractor started to bog in M while going up a hill. I swapped to L and made it to the top of the hill turned around to come back down and the tractor lost power coming down the hill in L. I turned the tractor off and restarted it, starts right up but the HST pedal does nothing at all, no change in RPMs or anything. Also the PTO will not engage. Loader moves and the mower can bee raised and lowered. No warning lights are on and I have tried all 3 different settings LMH same result.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a tractor newbie and this is a total bummer for me.

/ Did I kill it? 2016 L4701 HST stopped moving while mowing. PTO Dead too #2  
I would start by checking the hydraulic fluid level. If low then find the leak.

On more then one occasion while bushhogging I have had a stick loosen up the hydraulic lines near the filter. Under the floorboards.

/ Did I kill it? 2016 L4701 HST stopped moving while mowing. PTO Dead too #3  
Check the simplest things first. For as fast as your problem started, I would check to see if any linkage between the pedal and the transmission became lose or completely disconnected.

Like wagne suggested, check underneath the floor boards. A lot of things happen under there.

/ Did I kill it? 2016 L4701 HST stopped moving while mowing. PTO Dead too
I went back out to see if I could figure out any more symptoms. The output PTO shaft does turn when the switch is in the on position but it must not have enough power to turn the blades of the bush hog so I thought it was not engaging, but it is, just with almost no power. No hydraulic fluid leak found so far, but I am still looking.

/ Did I kill it? 2016 L4701 HST stopped moving while mowing. PTO Dead too #5  
How does the hydraulic fluid level look on the dipstick. If it up and full - then looking for a leak is chasing a wild goose.

/ Did I kill it? 2016 L4701 HST stopped moving while mowing. PTO Dead too #6  
I would check the clutch linkage, when the clutch is depressed the tractor and pto will stop, but hydraulics will still work since the pump is connected to the engine.

/ Did I kill it? 2016 L4701 HST stopped moving while mowing. PTO Dead too
Hydraulic fluid level looks good as far as I can tell. The fluid is so clear that it is hard to see on the dipstick but appears normal.

/ Did I kill it? 2016 L4701 HST stopped moving while mowing. PTO Dead too #8  
Hydraulic fluid level looks good as far as I can tell. The fluid is so clear that it is hard to see on the dipstick but appears normal.

Buy some John Deere ,hydraulic dye,about $7.00,makes it easy to see your hydraulic fluid(make sure to tell your servicing dealer).Mine thought I had put automatic trans fluid in it!

/ Did I kill it? 2016 L4701 HST stopped moving while mowing. PTO Dead too #9  
Wondering if something didn't get plugged. I would try changing out the hydro filters and seeing if you find anything in them.
Have you tired putting the transmission in neutral and seeing if the PTO gets power (and will turn the brush hog)
Also does the brush hog turn freely when unconnected?

/ Did I kill it? 2016 L4701 HST stopped moving while mowing. PTO Dead too #10  
My M59 did the same thing a few years ago. The HST pedal was completely unresponsive. Cause was a broken cable that connects the HST pedal to some sort of rotating 6" drum back about a foot from the pedal and underneath the floorboard. I couldn't see the break because it was inside the armored cable....but I could see that the drum should rotate when the pedal was moved and it didn't. Easy fix, but a bummer. Scary too.
rScotty