Kubota L2800DT observations

/ Kubota L2800DT observations #1  

familyman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800HST
I recently took delivery of a new L2800 with an LA463 fel and a Bush Hog BH650 bh /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. The machine is well made and very strong (especially the loader) but I would like some feedback on the only two negatives I have observed so far: first, the engine vibrates noticeably more than the JD 790 /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif (I test drove two of those); second, the rear end is quite loud /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif and makes a variety of mechanical noises, which my dealer assures me is normal for a geared machine /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I'd welcome any comments, as well as experiences other readers have. Also, any recommendations on break-in procedures? Thanks!

/ Kubota L2800DT observations #2  
Family man . Congratulations on your new machine!
I'm not familiar with your machine ,so I can't address your questions concerning noise and vibration .
As for breaking in ... Follow the owners manual and you'll have a long lasting machine . When you start it cold , don't let it sit at low idle very long . I start my machine , and as soon as I get oil pressure I bump the idle up tp around 1000,or so rpm . When I put it away after working it I let it idle at about the same rpm to cool down . ( for about the time it takes to fold my ROPs (when I remember to fold it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )
John

/ Kubota L2800DT observations
Hey John! Thanks for the info.
Why do you bump up the idle to 1000 so early? Are you concerned about carbon build-up? Also, the manual instructs to let the motor warm up for 5 minutes without loading it -- does this "load" also include just driving?
Charley

/ Kubota L2800DT observations #4  
Charley
Actually it's not all that early . I start the machine ,Belt in , check that I have oil pressure . 3-5 seconds depending on my coffee level /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The machine isn't under a load at that point . and a few extra rpm's help to keep up oil flow to the top of the engine . I doubt if driving it ( no load ) will hurt it .
I tend not to work my machine until I see the temp guage start to climb . When it's really cold ,a drive down the drive way does the trick . for me and the tractor /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif John

/ Kubota L2800DT observations #5  
Charley, my '99 B2710 was delivered new with the idle set at 1200 RPM, but I adjusted it down around 800-900. However, if I remember right, the manual said to warm it up at around 1500. At any rate, I always started it at the lowest idle, then within a few seconds, as soon as the oil pressure was up, I raised it to somewhere between 1200 and 1500.

Yes, the manual does say to warm up the engine at about 1/2 the rated speed, so 12-1400 rpm is in the ballpark. In freezing weather I'll let her idle for a few minutes before upping the idle speed.

I'm still curious about the noise at the rear diff. It's sort of a whining-clattering-rattle like something's half engaged. At the dealers' suggestion I tried moving the 3pt. position lever slightly to make a change, but got none. There is a backhoe currently mounted to the 3pt. (a subframe is "on the way"). Could the BH have anything to do with this noise--perhaps the way it's mounted?

/ Kubota L2800DT observations #8  
the machine has a sliding gear trans,witch is old and trusted as a farmall or johnny popper,however with the diesel it does rattel a bit,and the winning is from strait cut gears,all more noticable as the oil gets warmer,the thinner oil now compared to 90wt for the older tractors doesent create as thick a buffer for the noise.

It's good to know that the sound is normal. Now when I hear it I'll think "Wow, that's the sound of a tried and true technology!". Thanks!

Charley