Screwed up big time :mad

/ Screwed up big time :mad #51  
I used to get my '71 Toyota Landcruiser stuck in the mud quit often while playing. I didnt' have a winch, but friends with chains and winches were usually around and it was an easy out. Once, however, I was too far out for them to get me, and had to call a tow truck. When at the garage to pay my bill, I saw a roll of 5/8" wrecker cable leaning against the wall. It was an old cable with frayed ends that they were replacing. I bought it for something like $20. Took it home and trimmed off the ends. It's still about 100' long and over the years, I've used it for getting unstuck, pulling people out, pulling me out, pulling fallen hanging trees, etc... with great success.

It's a great tool to have around. Even if there are no anchors nearby, you can dig a few post holes at an angle leaning away from the stuck item, about 8' apart in line with the direction you want to pull, slip in some logs or posts, chain them together, and use them as an anchor point to pull with a cable or chains.

Or you can bury a deadman log perpendicular to the pull path and anchor to that.

Lots of ways to make anchors when there's no trees or friends around. ;)

Then you can use a come-along or hi-lift jack as a winch if you have one.

/ Screwed up big time :mad #52  
I have a large cylinder with about a five foot stroke with shackles at each end. Great for helping yourself out of a stuck situation, provided you have something to hook onto to.

I am always amazed that more tractors don't getted pulled apart, seeing Youtube videos of several rescue vehicles chained in tandem.

Sounds like a hydraulic hi lift jack! :thumbsup:

/ Screwed up big time :mad
This is exactly my point. It is very important to know your limitations and walk away when its time.

And BTW, I am in Mishawaka. :)

I recall a news story just a few months ago where someone was killed unsticking their tractor using that method.... the log caught them and that was that.

As with anything, things can go wrong, so think it out.

/ Screwed up big time :mad #56  
The main reason I walked away from the situation is, the exhaust is deep in the mud, radiator fan is splashing water like crazy just few inches from air box suction pipe, and air box itself is just few inches above water.

I do not feel safe to start the engine, until tractor is pulled out and thorough inspection is made to air filters, fluids and submerged electricals.

I didn't say to start it. I didn't start mine until I had it free. No way in heck I would start it at this point. Best of luck to you!

/ Screwed up big time :mad #59  
I have worked on a lot of stuff I know nothing about. But my number one rule is "do no harm". Good policy to just quit (no macho crap) when you are in over your head or haven't a clue, and go to plan B after a good nights sleep.

/ Screwed up big time :mad #60  
I have worked on a lot of stuff I know nothing about. But my number one rule is "do no harm". Good policy to just quit (no macho crap) when you are in over your head or haven't a clue, and go to plan B after a good nights sleep.

Heck, sometimes it's better to step back and watch it burn, too. If you're brain says hmmmm, it's telling you something.