Mowing Travel Speed: What range is everyone using?

/ Mowing Travel Speed: What range is everyone using? #1  

moship

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 HST 4x4 Kubota L4740-3 HST
About a year ago, I purchased a used B3030 Cab tractor with 72" mid mower, FEL and front snowblower for my 77 year old Dad to replace his BX2200.

The B3030 has 3 speed ranges while the BX2200 only had 2. According to the published travel speeds, High range on the BX2200 is very close to the Medium range on the B3030.

He cuts 5 acres of his own plus 2 other neighbors for about 8 acres total. None of these are manicured lawns and more like closely mowed fields. (Both neighbors have health issues)

I'm a bit concerned about the speed he is cutting as it seems way to fast when viewed from the outside. The concern is from a durability standpoint. IE: Rough on the mower deck and tractor itself. I'm not in a position to replace if major repair is needed. For the record he runs in High range and only knows one position of the hydrostatic pedal... On the floor board.

I don't want to say anything, as I don't have any experience with the B-Size tractors. High range on my L4740 is too fast when using any implement and is only used when going down the road.

B3030 is very similar in size to the B2650/3350 tractors for reference.

So what range do you run your B-size tractors when mowing?

Thanks in advance for your sharing your experience/recommendation.

/ Mowing Travel Speed: What range is everyone using? #2  
About a year ago, I purchased a used B3030 Cab tractor with 72" mid mower, FEL and front snowblower for my 77 year old Dad to replace his BX2200.

The B3030 has 3 speed ranges while the BX2200 only had 2. According to the published travel speeds, High range on the BX2200 is very close to the Medium range on the B3030.

He cuts 5 acres of his own plus 2 other neighbors for about 8 acres total. None of these are manicured lawns and more like closely mowed fields. (Both neighbors have health issues)

I'm a bit concerned about the speed he is cutting as it seems way to fast when viewed from the outside. The concern is from a durability standpoint. IE: Rough on the mower deck and tractor itself. I'm not in a position to replace if major repair is needed. For the record he runs in High range and only knows one position of the hydrostatic pedal... On the floor board.

I don't want to say anything, as I don't have any experience with the B-Size tractors. High range on my L4740 is too fast when using any implement and is only used when going down the road.

B3030 is very similar in size to the B2650/3350 tractors for reference.

So what range do you run your B-size tractors when mowing?

Thanks in advance for your sharing your experience/recommendation.

I have a B2650 with mmm. I always mow in medium range. I would never mow in high range. Too fast, to hard on the hst. High range for me is strictly a road gear.

/ Mowing Travel Speed: What range is everyone using? #3  
I mow with medium range on both the B2620 and the B2650. That's fast enough to do a good job....with the rpm at about 2500. The high range on the transmission is for road transport. And I seldom need the 4 wheel drive engaged.

/ Mowing Travel Speed: What range is everyone using? #4  
I mowed with a BX 2200. I used H range, but never floored the pedal-just took advantage of the hydro to vary speed based ground conditions and growth. When I had a B2620, it was M, again using the pedal to vary the speed.
With my new L3560, it is M low range, set the cruise wide open (probably 4mph) sit back in the nice seat and let it rip!

Will

/ Mowing Travel Speed: What range is everyone using? #5  
With my GL3940, pulling 6' finish mower, I use Middle range (out of 3), low speed on high/low, and full speed on HST pedal or cruise control. That probably does not help you, but I do know my ground speed is 4.5 mph. Philip.

/ Mowing Travel Speed: What range is everyone using? #6  
I have a bx2200 and will mow in high range as fast as the terrain/grass height will allow. My wife used to mow the lawn with it and she only knows stop and full speed. I used to joke that she was power sliding around the corners. 16 years later and the bx is still chugging happily along. I also have a b2650 and the equivalent speed is the medium range. I'd say as long as your dad isn't lugging the engine and he keeps the tractor maintained and mower greased, like a squirt in every zerk before each use, the tractor and deck should last a long time. It will probably outlast both you and your dad.

/ Mowing Travel Speed: What range is everyone using?
Thanks for the input so far!

BX2200 High Range:____8.1 MPH (Turf)
B3030 High Range:____13.8 MPH (R4 tires)
B3030 Med Range:_____5.8 MPH (R4 tires)

Look forward to hearing from other users.

/ Mowing Travel Speed: What range is everyone using? #8  
On a 3 speed I mow in medium. On a 2 speed I mow in high.

/ Mowing Travel Speed: What range is everyone using? #9  
3 speed tractor
mow in Medium
if grass is high or there are small trees and bushes (clearing an overgrown field) - full speed @ Low

High is only to transport the tractor on a paved road

/ Mowing Travel Speed: What range is everyone using? #10  
Medium on the L6060 and B3350.

High on the B1750.

SDT