Sticky BX...

/ Sticky BX... #1  

Henro

Tractor
Kubota B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini EX
Sticky as in sticks to the slopes... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seems like I spend most of my time on my B2910, and my BX has for the most part been on the "flat" ground most of its life. I said "flat" since this is Western PA...if we want flat where we live we have to make it ourselves...hence the tractors... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, the sewers went in behind my pond, where our two slopes converge into a ditch which carries rain run off from the road mostly. So now there is a bit of grass on the slope behind the pond, an area that I am gradually turning from overgrown weeds to something more usable. The steepest slope was about 20 degrees or a bit more when I measured it a couple years ago. This area where the sewer pipe came through was restored to grade more or less. I will have to measure it again one of these days.

I do know that it is too steep for me to feel in any way comfortable on it crossways on the B2910. That is just an assumption though, as the only way I would find out for sure is if I was willing to roll the tractor as the result of a side slope test drive...even though my gut tells me with four loaded tires the tractor should handle the slope...I trust the ROPS but the tractor cost too much for me to want to chance rolling it for the learning experience.

Getting back on track now, what I wanted to report is that for the first time I had the BX2200 on a cross slope that might be worth worrying about. The MMM was on, it has turf tires, and the tires are not loaded. I was amazed at how rock solid it felt on that slope. I went up turned across and back down cutting the grass for the first time just like I might if it was table-top flat.

It was even possible to stop sideways, and while backing up turn the tractor so it was pointing downhill, and then proceed down...I did not try Bob Skurka's figure eights... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ... I might have but the grass is just getting started...

So anyway, I thought I would report my experience since I had heard and honestly doubted that the BX tractor was more stable on side slopes...more stable that the B series anyway.

Now I don't know if it is true or not, but I do know it certainly feels to be true. Also the MMM hanging that low and being a pretty good weight, as a percentage of tractor weight, also is a confidence builder.

Just wanted to share this as it surprised me yesterday...

/ Sticky BX... #2  
Forget the experimentation!!!! Mow the slope top to bottom and bottom to top and avoid the possibility of a roll over. I had a friend killed while mowing his lawn. He had mowed it the same way for years and it was always across the slope. One day, the conditions of the grass must have been different and the tractor rolled over on him, killing him. This tractor was a older JD that didn't have a roll bar. He had been cutting this same lawn for the 20 years that I knew him, and since he was older than me and had lived in the same home for many years before, I am certain that he had done this mowing thousands of times. It only took one accident to take his life. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Sticky BX... #3  
Henro....I completely agree. The BX is certainly more stable than my old B7500. It's not that I purposely test the limits, but what we all call "Pucker factor" that is when your body and inner ear realize you are not quite "right" is much less on the BX than on the taller CUTS.

/ Sticky BX... #4  
Henro
I agree with Junkman. My yard has a grade like you mention and I go up and down. And with a grade like that I don't care if it's pristine anyway because I can't do much with it.
Besides we'd like to read your posts for many years to come /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Don't tempt fate

/ Sticky BX...
Well I got curious and measured the slope I was talking about yesterday...

The steepest part measured 21 degrees, and an average would probably be 15 degrees...

So I wasn't mountain climbing and we now know about what my wimp factor level is. I don't like that much slope sideways on my B2910, even though it would probably handle it. The bx with the mower under it does feel VERY stable though.

Reflecting on the original post, I hope it is not worded in a way that would encourage anyone to mow across a dangerous slope! We all should remember that anything greater than about 15 degrees is a risk.

Up and down is the way I do that slope with my B2910/rotary cutter and is the way I will nomally cut it in the future with the bx, as I get more grass growing and the "up and down" becomes longer than the "side to side"...

I still remain impressed by how much more stable the BX feels over the B2910... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Sticky BX... #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I still remain impressed by how much more stable the BX feels over the B2910 )</font>

Of course I do believe the BX would be more stable than the B2910, but I also suspect that it feels much more stable in part because you are sitting lower and closer to the ground.