HST reliability...

/ HST reliability... #1  

ZackaryMac

Silver Member
Tractor
B6100 HST-E, T1600, Case 1818
I realize the HST vs manual subject is a hotly debated subject here, and likely for good reason. Since Kubota are such great machines, there has to be SOMETHING to debate! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
As a mechanic for 20 years, I can honestly say I have zero experience with HST, until I bought my B1600 3 weeks ago, and I love it for mowing. Of course I am inquisitive about it, so today I had a chance to question a hydraulics mechanic about the hydrostatic pumps sitting in the back of his truck. He works on lots of equipment that uses it - dozers, excavators, processors, etc. He tells me most gear today uses hydroststic with very little problems. Clean fluid is the key, and so is keeping it cool. While none of this is new, I was interested to hear that he says there is lots of equipment he works on with many hours on them, and there is one HST system with 21000 hours on it with 100% reliability. No failures, and worked hard. Only maintenance was done to this unit. Of course this isn't the same unit on the Kubota, but it was confidence-inspiring to hear that HST units can go a long time, worked hard, with no problems.

You'll notice this post stays neutral about which is better, though. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'm not looking to "flare the fire", so to speak. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ HST reliability... #2  
I had a HST in my old power trac. Right foot foward, left foot reverse. I would abuse that HST like crazy going from right foot to ltleft foot and back again making the wheels spin and me lurching back and forth. Never had a bit of problem with it, love it.
Now I have it again on my BX23 like you with just about 10 hrs on. Love it, it makes me lurch back and forth just like my old power trac. Hope it can take the abuse.
Someday us BX23 owners should get together, have a picnic and tractor racers /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Eric P.

/ HST reliability... #3  
My relatively limited experience with HST on my Kubota L48 and L3830 for a combined total of about 450 hours has proven to me just how valuable they can be. My time on manuals, especially shuttles goes well over the thousand hour mark. I still enjoy the shuttles and still consider them a great alternative to HST. While I still have a very quick shifting manual with my International, it sits and gathers leaves, almost sad as I put a lot of heart into that beast. In the end, my L3830 HST just does so much more with far less power. I have confidence the HST will endure the tough work I pour on it. I boxblade in reverse, yes, thats right, in REVERSE. I have dug ditches for my 24" culvert with the loader, something they say you cannot do, moved rocks that dwarfed the L3830's weight. I guess in the end, you would not want to buy a used L3830 from me, I don't baby it. The HST has proven invaluable, something I was quite skeptical of at first. I thought it was one of them there new fangled dope smokin long haired hippie maggot infested yuppie things. Boy was I wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ HST reliability... #4  
It is a non issue, get which ever you like. J

/ HST reliability... #6  
Well, I've seen a completely worn out HST unit in a well-maintained Cub Cadet GT, yet in a 1970's vintage Ford GT, with the blades all broken off the cooling fan, the fins all plugged with crap, burt fluid and what appeared to be the original filter.. the HST trans was operating fine. I'm guessing a modern commercial grade HST is pretty darn tough and durable. The only negative is the increased maintenance, but this is really nothing compared to the increased usability.

- P

/ HST reliability... #7  
I think you own a T1600 instead of a B1600. HST failures are common on that model. Kubota offers a replacement kit with a newer style HST, but it is expensive. Get your ser# and check with your dealer.

/ HST reliability...
That could be the case, but I'm not going to worry about it until it becomes a problem.
After 3 major snowstorms in one week so far this winter, the HST still proves to be so versitile to me. With a 4' blower on the back, I can inch in to the snow (which was a foot or more in some places over the top of the blower) slow enough not to drag down the engine too much. I also adapted a 4' ATV plow for the front, and HST makes it great for small areas that require frequent forward/reverse.
I had a few weeks with my father's MF 165 diesel last spring, and is a great tractor, gave me a chance to compare the two transmission types. For my small tractor, and for what I do, I'm still pleased with HST.

/ HST reliability... #9  
<font color="blue"> I think you own a T1600 instead of a B1600. </font>

But ZackaryMac said B6100...

Now I'm /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Edit: I'm more confused now because I looked back and see the orginal post did say B1600....but the sig line says B6100...Yikes! Must be time for bed now... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif more than ever... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ HST reliability...
Oops!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Henro, you're absolutely correct! I never noticed my goof-up till I just read your post. Sorry about that guys.

Yes, it is a B6100. So...is there a b1600?

It looks like a slight case of digit-dyslexia.

Well, it seems like my fingers are another part of my body that doesn't always work as I'd like it to..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif