Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Default pot holes

I have a dirt drive. Of course, every year it grows a new litter of pot holes. In the past I have filled them with garden rocks and wet mortar, concrete and brick debris from other projects. Just got my 22oo today with back blade and FEL. What is the best way to keep my driveway up to speed? And with what implement?
    TIA,
    Sooty Bob

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3240HST, KX-121-3S

Default Re: pot holes

Bob -- I have both similar and opposite issues with my driveway and road. Gotta keep the driveway smooth, so I basically angle and slightly tilt the rear blade and crown the drive a couple of times each year.

I do the same with the road past my home...until the first speeding tourist sends a cloud of dust into my home. Then I go up and down the road raising and lowering the blade every five feet or so. The official purpose of this is to create waterbars to divert the runoff into the ditches. Unofficially, and to my great delight, they are very effective speedbumps. I cherish the sight of a BMW speeding up that eight foot wide road and slamming on the brakes as the driver sees the first bump. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Pete

www.GatewayToVermont.com

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7500

In my experience, potholes are permanent unless you "make them equal" to the road around them. I used to do what you did (fill them with rocks and stuff), but they kept coming back.

Now that I have the 'bota, I use the scarifiers to tear up the road around the potholes, then grade it smooth. I use a box blade, not a regular blade.

The GlueGuy

Tractor
    Kubota B7100HST & Kubota L4610HST w/FEL

SootyBob
    I have a very long drive that never gets potholes. We pull a cultipacker (sp?) over it after it rains. Stays very smooth. Ever tried that?
    regards
    Mutt

Tractor
    None (at present)

SootyBob
    DON'T let them kid you! The ones claiming no pot holes have just found a unique way to pay off the PotHole Fairy! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

What is a cultipeper?
    TIA,
    BOb

Tractor
    Kubota B7100HST & Kubota L4610HST w/FEL

OK,OK, I CONFESS!!! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif[/img] I got one(tiny)
    at the top of a hill. Whew! coming clean ain't so tough after all. Turning off computer now and going out to fix it...
    regards
    Mutt

Veteran Member
    Cambridge New York (north of Albany, next to Vermont)
    Tractor
    Kubota L4630, with cab and loader, 1951 Ferguson TO-20, 1967 Oliver 1550 with fel

I have about a quarter mile long, steep circular dirt driveway. After all the melting snow it was pretty rutted and had a few shallow pot holes. I went up and down each half with a york rake (aka rock rake, landscape rake) for about an hour and a half each. Its real smooth now! I guess I'll have to do that periodically to keep it smooth. if you keep up on it, you should be able to prevent pot holes.

Tractor
    JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer

GlueGuy I do my road the same way. The only way to get rid of potholes that I've found is that way. If you just fill them in the fill never meshes with the existing road and the holes just come back. Like you said though if you rip it up and then regrade and compact it they don't come back.