Rebuilt Starter

/ Rebuilt Starter #1  
Tractor
Kubota L3430
I have a L295 with a starter that has been weak despite a new battery for a while. It has finally begun to be very rough when trying to start the tractor and even smokes. Is there a source for rebuilt starters that anyone knows of?

/ Rebuilt Starter #2  
Do a www.Google.com search for rebuilt starters. I bought a new starter from a reseller in N.Y. for my 18 hp B&S for less than half the local dealers price.

/ Rebuilt Starter #3  
You may want to try looking for a Alternator and Starter re-builder in the Yellow pages.

/ Rebuilt Starter #4  
I have a friend who owns a Starter & Alternator business. You'd be surprised what they can do as far as rebuilding things. I also recommend you find a business in your area and call them to talk about it. My buddy will diagnose a starter and see whats involved and track down parts if you can get them. It's worth 30 mins on the phone before buying a new one. They bench test them before you get them back.

Brushes wear out in starters. But if they go too long you ruin the armature. Once that happens it's pointless to repair it and your buying a new one. If you clutch was going bad it would just spin out and you couldn't start the tractor at all. To me it sounds like your brushes are worn to the point where it's just too weak to spin the armature fast enough to get the umph up to crank the motor over.

Either way you should look into this soon.

/ Rebuilt Starter #5  
I have had a couple rebuilt for pickup trucks I used to have. They did a great job. And, I got my starter back, which I knew about. If you by just any rebuilt, who knows how it was treated before. Probably not a big deal, but it was nice havining my own stuff back.

/ Rebuilt Starter #6  
Many times the starter can be restored to like new condition by just replacing the end bushings at both the drive end and the armature end and new brushes. DON'T ever hit the starter with a hammer hoping to get it spinning. Many of the newer starters have ceramic magnets in them and these magnets will be broken by the shock of the blow to the housing. When the bushings get worn, the armature is pulled too close to the fields (magnets) and then it can't spin very fast. I would look for a local re-builder and ask if they will work on this unit. Many re-builders don't want to work on anything that is out of the usual, because of parts scarcity. I suggest that you check with a large trucking fleet or truck stop for names. Also, try the local auto parts stores. They usually will recommend someone if they don't have a replacement unit to sell...