B8200 engine oil light ?

/ B8200 engine oil light ? #1  

IRedMan2

Just purchased a 8200 w/D950 3cyl diesel engine. Drove it home ~ 1.5 hr @ 2600rpm over roads, shut it down and came back later that evening to do work with the FE loader. I noticed the engine oil light on. Parked it. Changed out the oil sensor with new, oil and filter. Same problem. Oil light is on when engine is running ~ 1000rpm but is dim. No where near as bright as when the key is just on. Say about half that. As rpm are increased the light gets dimmer. Have not run the rpm up past 2k yet but at that point the light is very dim.
Will I hurt the engine if I continue to operate it like this? Do I need to change out the oil pump? Help, it's my first diesel engine. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ B8200 engine oil light ? #2  
before you can know what to do, you need to remove the oil pressure sender and install a analog gauge in there so you know exactly what the oil pressure is. Without that information, you are just guessing in the dark. When you have that figure, compare it to what the shop manual says it should be and we can go from there. Is this a new machine or a used? If used, how many hours on the engine???

/ B8200 engine oil light ? #3  
The B8200 owner and shop manual provide no useful engine data. They show how to seperate the tractor, tranny, hydraulic, front axle type info. The D950 engine is left out of the manuals, except for air, fuel, and oil change info.

The B8200 was a mid-80's machine(mine is an '87). It is the forerunner to the B2150, B2710, and B2910 in that order.

That 19hp was a monster machine in the 80's. It is nice having the 3-range setup, with the HST.

/ B8200 engine oil light ? #4  
I have found on my B8200 that if the radiator screen is not clean, it will overheat, bog, and show low oil pressure signs(no air through radiator, runs hot!).

Check that screen(in front of the radiator. Check the radiator fluid and level.

Owner and service manual call for 10-30w oil.

Owners manual was about $16 a couple years ago. I think the service manual was about $50-75.

/ B8200 engine oil light ?
Used. 877 hours on the engine

/ B8200 engine oil light ? #6  
If you don't have access to a proper oil pressure gauge and fittings...
Take the old sensor and "gut it". You are going to make an adaptor out of the old pressure sensor. Braze or silver solder a fitting into the old sensor. The fitting will be whatever you need to connect to a hose or whatever to get you to a pressure gauge. Even a guage off a air compressor will work.
This will be accurate enough to see if it's low oil pressure or not.
The light getting dim does not sound right. The oil pressure sensor is a switch - either on or off.
Try taking the wire off the sensor and grounding the wire. Should light up the light bright.
Check the battery voltage as you run the engine to make sure it's constant and at least 13.5 volts.

Rich

/ B8200 engine oil light ? #7  
45-80 psi is probably the range I'd expect to see on that engine. You can pick up an oil pressure gauge fairly cheap at most auto parts stores. Most of them will screw directly in to the hole the oil pressure swich screws in to. I'ts 1/8"npt thread. That, to me, is the only next step to be taking.
When the oil pressure is low/below spec. the pressure switch creates a path to ground for the oil light on the dash. Note when the engine is not running the light should be normal bright when the key is turned to the on position.

/ B8200 engine oil light ?
First I would like to thank all who responded.
I hooked up a pressure gage - the hole is not a true 1/8npt it's metric. You can only get about a thread deep into it but enough to seal and get a reading.
Pressure came right up to 50psi @ 950rpm. Went to 54@2k. So, that to me, is well within operating range.
Just for grins I hooked the pressure switch to the wire and ran up the rpm. Damndest thing, the oil light was on (expected) but then got dimmer as rpm increased. There must be something crossed under the dash.
Again, thanks for all your help. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif