Pucker factor alert

/ Pucker factor alert
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Alert? or "education" ?)</font>

Well, I posted this so that everyone could benefit from my close call.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Looks to be no ballast on the 3pt? Why not? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)</font>

That's a pretty good question. I thought about ballast but I guess not really hard enough because I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't help keep the tractor from tipping on a slope since it would be applied evenly on both back wheels. In my mind I thought that the added weight above the axle line could even exacerbate the problem. Henro gave a pretty good explanation of how it works in a later post.

I guess I was the victim of "overthinking". Next time I'll just add ballast and not try to reason out whether I need it or not!

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Certain things about gravity that we cannot deny. Play safe, IMO. )</font>

I have a great quote about gravity but I'm afraid it would be censored here! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Pucker factor alert
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Are your tires filled? Today I transversed a 17 degree slop with the FEL filled with wet mulch and wet dirt carrying at about 2 - 3 feet high with my BX23, also had the BH on. No problems.
Was the mower deck swinging?

Eric P. )</font>

Nope, and nope! I was careful not to got fast enough for the deck to swing. I think if I had a BH on I might have been okay because of the extra weight.

/ Pucker factor alert
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you push the mower in the bucket as far as it will fit, you can rig your chain to the end (of the mower) furtherest out. Get the chain as taut as you can. )</font>

Great suggestion, wish I'd thought of it!

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The ballast helps...the brain working helps more. )</font>

I guess I had that coming... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Pucker factor alert #14  
I think we owe you a bit of thanks for this post.
It makes us all think for a bit. Maybe next time someone else will
think a little bit more when crossing that slope. 60 seconds of making it safer or at least thinking about it to see if you are approaching the task safely is better that a week or more in the hospital or worse. !!!!!!!!!

Thanks again,

Eric P.

/ Pucker factor alert #15  
Robert,

I wouldn't feel so bad if I were you. I almost tipped over my BX22 with the BH on it, and by merely turning on to the edge of a driveway that was only an inch and a half higher than grade. I was carrying an 8' pine tree in the same manner you were moving your deck. That's why I'm investing in bucket forks real soon.

Oh my gosh! I just had a coupla flashbacks! (Hence the edit.) My dad was a weekend farmer and he would haul all of us out there (we lived in the suburbs) to work\play. We had a mini bike with a sidecar on it to haul tools\stuff around. Well, since the sidecar was on the right, it didn't steer too well to the right. I was riding it down a hill and had to turn right to go over a bridge. I went over the bridge alright -- as in over the side. Did a Peter Pan head first into a mighty prickly thorn bush 4' below and bent the snot out of the front wheel fork. Dad was not happy.

Another time I was driving our big ole backhoe out of a gully and about tipped that thing over then too. Hard to believe my Dad still let me run the bulldozer after these monumental lapses in my judgment.

These things can happen to anyone and fast! That's why your post is so valuable to all of us. It keeps these kinds of near misses fresh in our memories so that we can avoid them later (hopefully). Thanks again !

/ Pucker factor alert #16  
This is a great example of a thread that belongs either in the General Operating forum or the General Safety forum since it's not Kubota specific. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Pucker factor alert #17  
I had a good one the other day . I removed the FEL and Backhoe and for a change did it in that order.

When I went to move the tractor around to take the hoe off it didn't want to steer. The front end was so light it would pull the front wheels off the ground when I moved.

The manual says don't operate a BH without the front FEL.
I sure wouldn't want to.

Sometimes experience is a great teacher and really makes you think about counter weight for the front or back.

I am glad all went well for you, and all we both got was a education.

Dave in NH

/ Pucker factor alert #18  
I usually just turn the 2 wheels opposite the front guide wheel back to normal and drag it to where I want it.....manual labor /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

Being one that is not into this sort of thing, your bucket idea is cool, and if I had to move the MMM very far, I would have another reason to get a welder, buy some hooks, learn to weld, put on the hooks, buy some chain..............thanks for the lesson in how to not work so hard, and have a ball doing it. Funny how the dag gummed simplest things elude us. Also to help in clearance, I usually will raise the front wheels some with the FEL when taking the MMM off.......duh! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Pucker factor alert #19  
"I guess I had that coming... "

Please don't take offense...that was a generalized comment for the forum, not directed toward you or anyone else...

/ Pucker factor alert #20  
Bob whenever I use the FEL to lift any load I only lift as far a necessary to clear the ground. I also keep one hand on the joystick when in forward or reverse motion. If I feel the tractor is getting unstable I quickly hit the float position lowering the load immediately. It may be a bit bumpy but it keeps the tires on the ground instead of pointed at the sky. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif