Pucker factor alert

/ Pucker factor alert #1  

rbarker

Veteran Member
Tractor
BX 25
While preparing for maintenance on my 60" mowing deck I needed to transport the deck from the paved driveway (where it is easier to remove the deck) to the rear of the house where the workshop and air tools are. I have a loader and some chain, so no problem, right? I figured go slow and watch the tilt meter and no worries!

Well at 7 or 8 degrees on the tilt meter the tractor started to roll to the right. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifI quickly dropped the loader down until the weight of the deck was mostly on the ground and stopped forward motion. This stopped the roll but left me kind of stuck so I decided to back up and drag the deck until I reached flatter ground. I couldn't even back up because the left rear wheel was not quite touching the ground. I had to use 4WD to move back. I had the loader up at about 2 or 3 feet at this point. Once I reached flat ground I picked the deck back up and took another route which was flatter with no problem. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I have attached some pictures to help illustrate the situation. In the picture you will note that there was no weight on the 3PH. Do you think this would have helped?

Here is an overall picture....

/ Pucker factor alert
Here is the set up from the front...

Attachments

• 470988-tipsy 003.jpg
    470988-tipsy 003.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 597
   / Pucker factor alert
Here is the area that I ran into trouble. You can see the tire tracks to the right of the picnic table where I was trying to traverse. As you can see, it's not very steep.

Attachments

• 470991-tipsy 004.jpg
    470991-tipsy 004.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 570
   / Pucker factor alert
The first one didn't post for some reason so here it is...

Attachments

• 470992-tipsy 002.jpg
    470992-tipsy 002.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 493
   / Pucker factor alert #5  
Yep... that is 250 pounds that you a hauling with a high center of gravity. Rear ballast would help stabilize the tractor but the height and weight are the biggest factors.

John

/ Pucker factor alert #6  
Are your tires filled? Today I transversed a 17 degree slop with the FEL filled with wet mulch and wet dirt carrying at about 2 - 3 feet high with my BX23, also had the BH on. No problems.
Was the mower deck swinging?

Eric P.

/ Pucker factor alert #7  
Alert? or "education" ?
Looks to be no ballast on the 3pt? Why not? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
I try to put an equal amount of weight on the rear that I am picking up in FEL, especially if there is slope to traverse and carrying the load that high, relative to the size of the tractor. I almost always do loader work in 4wd for better traction, to save on the grass. You are learning too. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Certain things about gravity that we cannot deny. Play safe, IMO.

/ Pucker factor alert #8  
As beenthere said, it was probably a lack of ballast on the rear that resulted in the pucker...

What happens is first the rear starts to lift and when this happens the tractor pivots on the front axle mid point, until the end stop is reached. At that point you either keep going over, or you stop. Yes this is experience speaking and I have stopped at that point, with my heart in my mouth... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Not a good feeling... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

What you want to do is always have enough weight on the back to keep the rear wheels on the ground. Then you stay a four-wheeler instead of three wheeler...and your heart stays in your chest where it belongs... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Pucker factor alert #9  
I'd also consider the way you've got the mower rigged. That hookup requires you lifting the mower quite high...at least the width or length on the mower.
If you push the mower in the bucket as far as it will fit, you can rig your chain to the end (of the mower) furtherest out. Get the chain as taut as you can. If you're concerned about the chain abrading the paint, use a few rags or a section of fire hose...anything you've got handy.
That will allow you to lift the mower horizontally so you can keep your load low.

As others have said, rear ballast is essential. But if that ballast isn't available, think of the best methof to keep your load low. The ballast helps...the brain working helps more.

/ Pucker factor alert #10  
Why pick the mower deck off the ground??? That's kinda like asking for trouble. When I need to move mine, I just chain it to the bucket, lift one set of wheels 6" or so off the ground, and drag it in reverse to wherever it needs to go. No risk of tipping over, that way.