Backhoe Wondering what I might expect from my new backhoe?

/ Wondering what I might expect from my new backhoe? #1  

nykyfyr

Tractor
Kubota B2710
Hi all! New to the forum and new to Kubota! Just bought a used B2710HDT w/a 4690 backhoe. Regarding the BH, I'm hoping that someone might be able to give me a few pointers on use and/or things I should be aware of and careful about. The BH is not sub-frame mounted but uses the three point hitch. Anything I should be aware of to prevent abusing/over stressing it? I'm doing some grading and will be cutting a bank. Really bony where I live. Rocks from pebbles to three or four feet in diameter. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

/ Wondering what I might expect from my new backhoe? #2  
I wouldent try to smash rocks with the backhoe bucket or anything like that, Take small bites with the hoe if you are not use to operating one. its easy to pull yourself into the ditch you are digging if youre not careful, can happen before you know it. and just use common sense. remember the solid rear axel when on uneven ground,and dig traveling down hill when using the hoe.

Attachments

• 472420-stump1.JPG
    472420-stump1.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 135
   / Wondering what I might expect from my new backhoe? #3  
Hi,
Welcome , I just posted this on another form hope this helps you and feel free to ask questions!!
Dean

Just purchased A B7510HST with a 302FEL and it's matched B4672A BH, have not taken it off yet and have no plans to do so in the near future. The main reason I bought this Matched rig is to work around the lake front and put in a small landscaped water pond out back and misc. digging chores.
I have a TG 186 w/54"deck to maintain 2+ acres of lawn, lots of trees and sloped front to lake.
I am not new to back hoe's having owned two much larger, having said that I can tell you this hoe is very well balanced and equally smooth and strong (the trick to any BH is a smooth application of force and allowing the machine to work up to the task at hand) NOT BRUTE FORCE...
The separate hyd. pump that runs off the back PTO at 540 RPM'S with not much more than 1500 engine RPM'S just dug out two stumps about 18' in dia. she never broke a sweat...
1.Price will vary and a better deal wold be made buying as a package but at least you probably will do well going back to your original dealer.
2.Make sure to install a sub frame and Kubotas does not lower the original ground clearance.
Hope this helps you and I will be happy to ans. any questions you have!
Dean
tractor1.jpg

/ Wondering what I might expect from my new backhoe? #4  
Congratulations on your purchase.

I've got a B7610 with a B4672A backhoe. I've also operated a few small tractor rental units.

There has been a hot debate on and off here a few times about the speed at which to operate your engine at while running the backhoe. It comes down to experience and speed.

For a beginning backhoe operator, the backhoe will be jerky to operate at first. Try the first ten or so hours of use at ~75% of PTO speed, which in my case is around 2,000 rpm. This is just to keep the bucking down as you learn. What happens is at first you tend to operate only one spool/valve/cylinder at a time and all the pump power goes to that one cylinder and it operates real fast--too fast--especially in swing and boom lift. So, running at slower speed, things slow down and you get used to feathering the valves and doing multiple operations simultaneously.

As experience comes you begin to do multiple operations simultaneously and the 'hoe will seem too slow. It actually will be slower as the pump power is spread across several functions. You can now speed up the engine and get faster cycle times. When you can "rake" the ground level toward you with the bucket teeth, you've gotten the feel of how to feather the valves and multiple valve operation down.

Always put down the stabalizer arms when digging. Even though I'm on a 3 pt, like you, I raise the back wheels of the tractor ever so slightly off the ground. I also put the front loader bucket edge down and take some weight off the front end with the loader. This will be necessary when digging in rocky soil to keep the bucking bronco put in one spot.

You can dig up and move immense boulders with the hoe. Bigger than you can pick up. Just dig around and clear the edges then use the bucket curl to work it up. My manual warns against using the side of the bucket and swing to move debris and rocks, you'll be tempted but try not to.

The greatest power of the hoe is in the bucket curl. And it's best applied closer to the tractor when the curl is comming up out of the hole, this pulls down the back end of the tractor against the outriggers and exerts great force. Running the curl at the arm extension will try to drag the tractor backwards--and it will succeed most of the time.

You will be tempted to operate the curl and boom or dipper simultaneously in hard to dig situations. This actually decreases the power available as the boom or dipper will stall and open the pressure relief valve, dumping hydraulic fluid and power. The bucket curl is the most powerful of the controls, use it alone in tough dig situations.

Things will likely get a lot smoother for you after 20 or so hours of back hoe time. I've seen 'hoe operators on big equipment, I've hired for my shop construction, get jerky on swing and boom movements. So, nobody is perfect. Have a good time with your new tools.

/ Wondering what I might expect from my new backhoe? #5  
When you can "rake" the ground level toward you with the bucket teeth, you've gotten the feel of how to feather the valves and multiple valve operation down.>>>>>>>

One of my buddies at work told me this is when you can call yourself a backhoe operator. He used to work in dirt for his living.

I have to dig a ditch, and this is what I have to learn to do to make the bottom of it square. Working on it, but it does take some practice, but then that is seat time and any seat time is good time! I am still in my first 50 hours on this tractor, so dont even get to spice it up at full yet, but that again goes back to seat time and practice.

Notice how us amateur tractor/backhoe guys have all the excuses for seat time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Wondering what I might expect from my new backhoe? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When you can "rake" the ground level toward you with the bucket teeth, you've gotten the feel of how to feather the valves and multiple valve operation down )</font>

I have read somewhere /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif where they suggested filling the backhoe bucket with water. Once you can move the bucket around to various up/down/around positions WITHOUT spilling water, you then have the finesse of feathering down.

I've never tried it with water. I'm sure you can imagine how water could slosh around in the bucket. That said, I've had bucket fulls of DIRT before, and been so jerky, the DIRT sloshed around lilke you would expect the water to /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I slowed down after that happened.

/ Wondering what I might expect from my new backhoe?
Ha, I know the feeling. Sometimes the bucket gets so jerky the it's empty by time I get to where I want to dump it. I'm getting better everyday!

Thanks for the pointers everyone. Now for some seat time to put them to work. Thanks!