Brake Left On

/ Brake Left On #1  

rwsr50

I'm SICK! I just came home from work to find my Son ran the brand new 2230, with only 25 hrs. on it, all day with the brake locked on! This included a 2 mile round trip over the road to neighbor's house to use the loader all day to help them out.

What did this hurt? Isn't the brake in the hydro? Would it overheat the hydro and screw it up? What measures should I take?

Typical case of not wanting to take the time to read the manuals and learn how to use a piece of equipment properly, but just jump on it and have fun. When I came in he was just putting it away and asked me "how does the parking brake work on this thing?" I always apply the brake when I park it. I looked and it was still on!

/ Brake Left On #2  
He isn't the first one to do this and he won't be the last. Seems that in most all of the previous cases, there was no damage to the machine and the only damage to the owner was hurt pride for not knowing better. A few people have suggested that Kubota should put a brake warning light on the machines, but I don't see a need for that. I just never use the parking brake unless there is a incline to be considered. On level ground, the bucket seems to keep it planted just where I leave it. In the garage, with the bucket down, I can't even push it. In fact, when it is in the garage, I leave the key in the ignition. I have seen too many garage fires where the vehicles couldn't be moved out because the ignition was locked. Lock the garage, not the tractor.

/ Brake Left On #3  
The brake probably wasn’t on very tight or it would have been obvious by the response of the hydro pedal and by the whining sound in the hydro. If there is evidence of the HDT fluid overheating because of this you could always do the 50 hour hydro service now.

I think the parking brake light would be a great idea evidenced by the number of people who post about being upset after driving with the brake on. It is pretty common on a lot of vehicles and wouldn’t add too much to the cost. Even better would be a parking brake similar to an automatic transmission in a car. My Ariens had a setup like that and it was very effective and impossible to leave on when moving the tractor and a more positive lock for the wheels than brakes. Since neither a light nor a parking pawl is available on the BXs, I suggest putting the parking brake on very firmly, that way you won't likely drive off with it partially on.

Unfortunately my BX1500 doesn’t have a bucket or a hoe to lower for a brake. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I used to just leave it in 'turtle mode' with the brake off on my very slightly inclined driveway till I came out one day and found it had rolled backwards almost to the street. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I do pull the key out at the end of the day just to inconvenience a thief and hopefully he would have to push it down the road or up on a trailer rather than just cranking it up. Mine rolls so easily I regularly shift it into neutral, release the parking brake and roll it out on the driveway when I just need to get it out of the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Brake Left On #4  
There was another post recently from someone who has a B2910 who's son did exactly the same thing, but for only five hours...but the brake was set hard enough to cause the hydraulic fluid to overheat and smell pretty bad.

There may have been a follow up post titled something like "brakes for life."

Anyway, it might be wise to change the transmission fluid just in case.

Don't come down on the kid too hard...we all have run our tractors with the parking brake set for some period of time...it happens..I forgot the sh... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif AND he did not do it on purpose...

I do know that my BX brake when set fully really does hold, so your brade was not set that hard I would suspect.

Change the hydraulic fluid and feel better...that is what I would do... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Brake Left On #5  
Howdy,

I'd be the guy who's B2710 ran 5 hours with the brake set. Changed the fluid (it was burnt pretty bad) and filters and tore the brakes down. Lots of blue and purple in there, but I'm pleased to tell you there was no warping, and (I still can't believe it) the pads were still within factory spec. Haven't had any trouble since. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And I agree. Don't go too hard on the young man. Occasionally the mist clears and I recall some things I did as a youngster... JD7810 up to the axles in mud, that kind of thing. Oh wait, that was only a couple of years ago. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Slim

/ Brake Left On #6  
Change the fluid and do a brake service.
You don't say how old your son is, but mine is 13 and can't operate my tractor unless;
1) I give him permission
2) I'm present
3) I give him explicit directions on where and how to run the machine
There's no way I'd let him have access to the key when I'm not around. No, he's not a bad kid at all, in fact he's really great. I just remember myself at that age and I'm sure I passed on the "I can do this by myself" gene.
To my way of thinking, a tractor is no different than any other piece of heavy equipment and requires a level of maturity and responsibility much higher than required for a lawn mower. Sorry for the lecture, but if your son didn't know how to work something simple like the parking brake, you really lucky nothing worse happened to him or someone else.
Please understand, all this comes out of my mouth out of concern, even though I don't know you personally.

Charley

/ Brake Left On #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( There was another post recently from someone who has a B2910 who's son did exactly the same thing, but for only five hours...but the brake was set hard enough to cause the hydraulic fluid to overheat and smell pretty bad.

There may have been a follow up post titled something like "brakes for life."

Anyway, it might be wise to change the transmission fluid just in case.

Don't come down on the kid too hard...we all have run our tractors with the parking brake set for some period of time...it happens..I forgot the sh... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif AND he did not do it on purpose...

I do know that my BX brake when set fully really does hold, so your brade was not set that hard I would suspect.

Change the hydraulic fluid and feel better...that is what I would do... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

Man, what kind of moron would do something stupid like that? (see my post "What would ou tell a moron". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

I drained mine after doing something similar and the hydro fluid (in the rear diff only) was milky and didn't look quite right. No impact on operation though. Per some advice in that thread I adusted my brakes such that when I set them firmly the tractor won't even move. That seems to be the best way to prevent it from happening in the future.

Have a good one,
Dave

/ Brake Left On #8  
I’ve driven off with the brake locked on myself. Try this next time. When you do lock the brake on – ALWAYS push them on as hard as you can. If you try driving of and forget, the engine will let you know. It has worked for me for some time nowl.

/ Brake Left On #9  
I would imagine that the brake pads were holding it but not terribly hard. After the pads wore down even just a little, they would not hold it back any more nor would they wear any more since no one reset them harder. The fluid should smell burned and be discolored if it got damaged. Its not like stepping on the brake pedal and driving that way until the brakes are worn out. I would guess that once a couple milimeters of pad wore off, nothing more would happen to them in being in fluid. Good luck either way.

/ Brake Left On #10  
Bubba, did you notice that you were responding to a thread from 8 years ago?:D I've done the same thing; failing to look at the dates.:laughing: