Backhoe Backhoe Removal

/ Backhoe Removal #1  

DSM

Tractor
Kubota BX22
The BX-22 instructions for backhoe removal specify curling the bucket fully, and lowering the boom to slightly raise the back end of the tractor. The back of the bucket supposedly rests on the ground, but actually when I do this the load is taken by the link connection at the end of the hydraulic cylinder, which seems like it may apply a bending force to the piston rod. I usually keep the bucket somewhat un-curled to prevent this. Has anyone else noticed this? Also, when raising the boom to disconnect the upper connections, the instructions say to hold the top position for 5 seconds. to complete the process Huh? My backhoe begins to roll off the connections as I raise the boom, and is a foot away by the time I reach the top position. Is this just poor instructions. I am refering to the sticker on the backhoe. I haven't looked at the manual for a while. I do the removal on a reasonably level concrete floor.

/ Backhoe Removal #2  
I took off the backhoe on my BX23 for the first time yesterday. As you stated, the directions are not very clear, though it gave me enough information for me to figure out what needed to occur. With a little playing around, I was able to separate the backhoe and place it on the ground.

I was lost on the 5 sec instruction as well. Let's see if I can get them back on today! Wish me luck.

/ Backhoe Removal #3  
Raise the tractor with the bucket on the ground, Pull the pins, to release the catches. Lower the stabilizers to raise the bucket out of the bottom holders, activate the bucket to make the whole bucket and all go away from the tractor. I believe this is to raise the bucket, done it a bunch never paid attention to the stickers. Drive the tractor forward to clear the bottom catches. Lower the whole assembly to the gound, and disconnect the hoses. Be sure you leave enough room for the hoses when pulling the tractor out, just past the catch on the bottom is enough. I find this easier than the FEL that comes with the BX23. Couple of minutes and it is off. I take mine off and on and leave it on a peice of plywood on a gravel floor, level enough. My only concern is the fenders and the little piece between them, if you are not right on, they will be bent some......the dealer bent the ones on his show machine teaching me.

/ Backhoe Removal #4  
Well, just put the loader and the backhoe back on. You are correct about watching the metal between the rear of the fenders. It is a very tight fit. Didn't bend the metal, though the backhoe rubbed tightly against it. I had minor problems until I realized the bottom was not seated firmly at the bottom mounting bracket. Once I got that in firmly, the top rotated right in.

Once you see how the pieces rotate in and out, it is a breeze. Also, I too removed mine on our gravel driveway, and I certainly wouldn't consider it level. You can use your stabilizers to level out the hoe.

/ Backhoe Removal #5  
I too am puzzled by the 5 sec. rule. However I find that after the boom is at it's max. position that nothing more happens and you could hold it for 10 minutes and it would not matter. I think that they say 5 sec. just to make sure you have it where they want it. Though all this is moot once ya get use to doing it, then it's all second nature. I haven't read the 'structions the last 3 times I've removed it. You'll get to the same point in no time!!!!
I think that the most important item to remember is that you get the lower bar to seat properly otherwise you will hit the fenders.
Also I've got into the habit of unhooking the hydro hoses without moving the tractor, that is just extra insurance so I don't go dragging the BH with the hoses.

Good Luck and have tons of fun!!!!

Eric P.

/ Backhoe Removal #6  
Speaking of Hydro hoses, could they have made these any shorter???? If you have the hoe on the ground, you nearly need to be ontop of the hoe to get them hooked up. I think the instructions said to be about 12" from the hoe. There hoe must not have been sitting on the ground! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif