50 Hour Service Help

/ 50 Hour Service Help #1  

dmnsmith2

Bronze Member
Tractor
03 Kubota B7800
I've been looking for some specific info on this board but haven't found everything I am looking for.

My 50 hour service is coming up and I need some help on my B7800 4WD.

Are there 2 drain plugs for the engine oil?
Is the engine oil filter different size, shape, color, etc than the tranny filters (I don't want to confuse them)?
Are there 4 drain plugs for the tranny fluid (1 for front tranny case and 3 for rear tranny case)?
Are there 2 filters for the tranny?
It seems there is only one place to check the tranny fluid, so why do they discuss front and rear transmission in the manual as if they are 2 different areas?

Also, what price should I expect to pay for the engine oil,engine oil filter, tranny fluid (super udt), and tranny filters?

This is the first tractor I have worked on so I am a newbie to this area. Any precautions or tricks of the trade I need to know while performing these operations? I have a loader and MMM on the tractor. Will these be in the way of this service? Thanks for all input and help. Much appreciated.

/ 50 Hour Service Help #2  
I have found my Kubota operator's manual to be an invaluable tool in servicing my L3430. The text is succinct and pictures are provided to help you find most everything. Unless the B7800 manual is different, I would invest some time in studying it. It will become your best resource for properly taking care of your tractor.

OrangeGuy

/ 50 Hour Service Help
Bump /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 50 Hour Service Help #4  
I have a B2910, so I can't comment on the specifics of your tractor with any authority. But you will definitely want to take off the MMM, and even though I left my FEL on for my first service, it was a lot easier with it off for the rest of my services.

Also don't forget to remove and clean out your transmission strainer. I found that it is a lot easier to get at if you remove the rear wheel. I would recommend that you get 2 "O" rings for the strainer. For no more than they cost it's a good idea to change them while you have the strainer out. It will also be easier to get to everything if you jack it up and USE JACK STANDS. That will also give you more room to get a bucket under the fill plugs. Keep plenty of rags or paper towels handy as it will get messy. I got the parts and service manuals with my tractor, so I can check and make sure that I'm putting the correct filter on. Kubota will change colors (and part numbers) of the filters from time to time, so you can't rely on that to differentiate them. There's nothing too difficult to do, it just takes some time and patience to make sure you don't miss anything. I paid $159.57 for everything to do my 600 hour service last month. But it shouldn't cost you that much because you won't have to buy new air filters, so that should knock $57 off the price. Super UDT went up to $73 since I bought it last, but the other prices stayed the same.
Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 50 Hour Service Help #5  
Do a search on "50 hour service--oil slick" in the Kubota Owning/Operating forum... There is a ton of info in that thread - The original post was related to a B2400 or B2700 but I believe it will apply to your B7800 as well.

/ 50 Hour Service Help #6  
Yes, there are two drain plugs for the engine oil. If you lay on the ground and look up you will see why. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You don't need to take any wheels off to do the routine service. The transmission screen is not required to be cleaned on the B2910 until 400 hours...I felt guilty for 350 hours so I am sure about that. And the B7800 is the same tractor...

The front axle is a separate item from the rest of the tractor's driveline and is treated separately. Check the manual for details...

Yes there are two filters for the transmission. Make sure you get them right. The price is different and the function must be also.

The front and rear axles are two different areas, that is why they are discussed as two different areas. Lay on the ground and look up and you may see the reason why this is so. Under the tractor, naturally... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Take a look at Tractorsmart.com for prices and you will get a baseline for costs....

Doing the basic service on your tractor is not much more involved than changing the oil in your car/truck. Don't get too uptight about it. You can/will do it as good or better than the dealer would. It is YOUR tractor afterall.

Just take a look at the manual now and then and get your mind set to do it. Not a big deal at all. You might even ask the dealer how much, just to feel better about it when you save most of that cost by doing it yourself.

You can do it, and it is not a big deal... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 50 Hour Service Help #7  
Hi Bill,

According to my B2910 manual, it says to clean the transmission strainer every 300 hours. My dealer told me to also clean it at 50 hours to make sure that there aren't any problems in the making. He said if there are a lot of filings in the screen to bring it in and they would find out why. You are right that it isn't necessary to remove any wheels, but I found that it is a whole lot easier to get to the strainer with the rear wheel out of the way. I've had my strainer out 3 times now, and I've never had any appreciable metal in the screen. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 50 Hour Service Help #8  
I also have a B7800 and struggled with the 50 hour service this past spring. At the time I had very little experiences with engines, tractors, etc. and I found the B7800 manual extremely disapointing. For example, there ARE two filters for the transmission (one on each side). The manual DOES NOT say there are 2, but instead simply shows 2 pictures, which could be mistaken as two different views of the same filter. I was unsure about all this and asked about it at two different Kubota dealers. Perhaps it was because the B7800 is relatively new, but both service depts. had to ask around themselves to confirm that there were two filters-the pictures didn't help them either! So, I get handed three boxes (2 hydros + engine oil filter). I ask, which is which? They reply: "it'll be obvious when you pull them off." OK

Get under the tractor and all three filters are painted that nice gray and are identical in size. Look at my three different colored and sized filters and "obvious" isn't what I muttered. Long story made short: I misplaced two of them, but don't realize this until I had re-filled the transmission oil and have to spin off and on again with almost 8 gallons of that pricey UDT spitting out at me. Looked again at the filters and the only difference I could find was that one filter screen was convex and one was concave. I now use the web to suplement the manual (which doesn't list any actual part numbers) to confirm that I get the right filters.

At times, I find the manual mimics Japanese-to-English electronics manuals. Perhaps because of language barrier, the manual seems to rely on the pictures heavily. The problem here is that sometimes the pictures are so detailed and zoomed in that you can't tell where said item is.

The manual is also made more confusing by the constant page jumping and their insistence in putting 50 hr check-up items in the 200 and 300 hr sections to apparently save 2 pages of printing. This is mostly likely why the original poster asked about the front crankcase drain plug. It is shown under 300 hrs with the rear transmission change and what the reader has to infer is: "Kubota was too cheap to include the transmission oil change in the 50 hr service, even though they require it. Instead I need to turn 8 pages forward and follow roughly 3/4 of the directions on that page, ignoring the items that only relate to the 300 hr service." So, yes there are only three drain plugs for the rear transmission.

Again, my inexperience cannot be overstated and is most likely responsible for most of my troubles, and I apologize for the long rant. Part of me, though, thinks that I am representative of the market Kubota covets (new landowner, new tractor owner), so why should I be required to shell out more money for those almost mythical "service" manuals that I read about on TBN in order to complete their required service? I love my Kubota, but I don't believe the manual is too helpful in it's original form.

/ 50 Hour Service Help #9  
I have to second that. On mine the illustrations aren't even right. The transmission screen is on the on opposite side of where the manual illustrates it. Took me 2 hours of scratching my head to figure out which filter when on which side. (because I didn't want to screw anything up) The Japanese - English translations are particularly rough in some area's. Thank god the tractor is so **** reliable! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 50 Hour Service Help #10  
I was concerned about the extent of the 50 hour service so I dropped mine off at our local dealer yesterday. They told me between $300 and $350 dollars. They are also installing power beyond connections on my loader valve for my backhoe.