Chains BX - Turfs w/ chains or bars for winter?

/ BX - Turfs w/ chains or bars for winter? #1  

Junkman

Tractor
2003 Kubota BX-22
I was recently asked this question....... "turf tires with chains or bar tires without chains"? My initial response is that if you have the turf tires, then get chains and you will go any place that bar tires will take you. I have bar tires filled with beet juice on my tractor and use a weight box on the rear with 600# of lead in it. Last winter, I had no problems at all pushing snow with the bucket. I realize that many of us have blades or snowblowers also. Tell us your experiences? Bar tires without chains? Bar tires with chains? Turf tires with chains? Has anyone any experience with pushing snow with turf tires naked? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Do you have your tires filled and do you think that this helps in the winter? Since different type of snows and the amount of snow all effect the storms clean up, please give as much information as possible. Also, your general location would be helpful. Snow in Maryland doesn't come close to the amount of snow in Maine or Wisconsin. Lastly, I would like this question to be directed mainly to the people that have BX tractors. If you post your experiences with another tractor, please give the make/model/ and a description of the characteristics for those of us that don't know the difference between a B21 and a L48. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thanks...... You will have 45 minutes to complete this quiz, and no more than 10,000 words. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ BX - Turfs w/ chains or bars for winter? #2  
Junkman,
I had the 2200, bar tires, pushed 100' of my own drive and 50' of the neighbors with no problem.........but then we only had a couple of snows worth pushing, and (dont laugh you northerners) was only a couple inches each.

My drive is like going up a mountain, very steep, so getting the snow off is mandatory. We also now have a sport trac truck, 4 wheel drive, so that may help some.

I used the FEL and my drive is paved

/ BX - Turfs w/ chains or bars for winter? #3  
Junkman . I have a 3130 with R4's . For the most part it does very well in snow using my rear blade . But on compound grades , it does seem to want to slide . ( the rearblade acts like a rudder . So, On some very good advice I bought a set of St. Pierres double ring chains . . It ended the problems on the compound hills and ice . They weren't cheap,or for that matter the most expensive . But they do the job well in snow ,ice and Mud . If this sounds like an advertisement for St Pierres, It's not . Just an endorsement for a good product backed up by good folks ,and service . John

/ BX - Turfs w/ chains or bars for winter? #4  
I pushed snow with the FEL for two years with the turf tires, naked, and 250 lbs of weight on a 3pt hitch mounted weight bar. The tractor worked very well with this set up. I never push more than 5-8" of snow, preferring to split the job up if we get larger amounts of snow (we sometimes do here in upstate NY.)
Two years ago, I bought a set of 2-link V-bar chains from Tirechains.com. The chains give em increased traction going foward, but I really appreciate them in dealing with sideways sliippage on sloped parts of my driveway.
Will

/ BX - Turfs w/ chains or bars for winter? #5  
BX2200 w/ turf & chains (2 link). I snowblow a substantial yard, some surrounding lawn, including a hilly area and periodically the local sidewalk!!
Tires are not filled and no wheel weights.
Never have any traction problems and I am in central Vermont, where we get substantial snows.
Now, if I were using the FEL to clear snow, that might be different!!

/ BX - Turfs w/ chains or bars for winter? #6  
Junkman- I use my BX22 with turfs and FEL in winter and it works just fine. No weight in tires or ballast. It works fine but if you have a hill I would do ballast.

/ BX - Turfs w/ chains or bars for winter? #7  
Junkman, BX2200 with turfs & FEL. No weights, chains or ballast. Driveway about 150-175 ft with slight to moderate incline and 3 car oversized garage with large flat back up area. No problems. Live at the end of a dead end road so sometimes have to push the snow at the end of the road further back from the street plow. Pushed plowed banks further back higher than the hood on the little BX and no problems. This little pit bull never ceases to amaze me what it will do. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ BX - Turfs w/ chains or bars for winter? #8  
I bought my 2200 with Bars. I was concerned at first with them chewing up my yard. No problems in 3+ years with that happening unless I'm digging in which case it's to be expected. But I am off topic, sorry. SNOW! I live in Central PA near Middletown and the past few winters I've had a chance to really work my tractor in the snow. I not only do my medium sized property, but also my entire road. (it's a farm road so it's only like 10 houses give or take) I do my church as well. So it's gets a decent workout. I've rarely had problems with the bars. I got her stuck in a drift once, and the Presidents day blizzard of 03 was almost too much, but overall the bars bite well in every condition I've had them in.

/ BX - Turfs w/ chains or bars for winter? #9  
Technically, pit bulls are not pullers at all (not a worker dog). I would use a sled-pulling dog (Rottie, Doxer, dobbie, Mastiff, Akita.).

At least my 2-pits are not working dogs. Now, my rotties are.

I had to pop that in.
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ BX - Turfs w/ chains or bars for winter? #10  
You guys with the unloaded/unweighted turfs, are likely 4wd?
I have 2wd w/turfs, and figure I'm going to need SOMETHING (prolly chains) for snowblowing and a bit of blade work. Anyone here in the same boat as me? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif