The Bigger The Tractor, The Less You Use It.....

/ The Bigger The Tractor, The Less You Use It..... #1  

JimMorrissey

Veteran Member
Tractor
'05/'06 L39 TLB
So, what do you think about that statement?

I realize there are variables that determine use for individuals, but I'm wondering if there are any generalizations that can be made from this.

Jim

/ The Bigger The Tractor, The Less You Use It..... #2  
<font color="blue"> So, what do you think about that statement? </font>

Well, I'd have to agree. I have a 89 HP Kubota with a 15' flexwing mower. To cut my property, it takes about 5 hours. If I had a CUT and a 60" rotary cutter, it would take me over 15 hours -- so yes, I would use the bigger tractor less.

/ The Bigger The Tractor, The Less You Use It.....
That's not actually what I was trying to get at, although I see your point. I realize a larger machine is more productive /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm just wonding if the bigger rigs sit more often due to their physical size and the "hassle" involved with changing 400 lb implements and such. Perhaps they are less dynamic? A smaller machine will take a bit longer to do the job at hand (within reason), but overall it may be used more often for a greater variety of tasks.....

Jim

/ The Bigger The Tractor, The Less You Use It..... #4  
That's what quick-attach loader adapters and telescoping links were made for. I am putting more hours on my bigger tractor at a much faster rate (though I have to admit the weatherproof cab and air conditioning certainly don't hurt /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

/ The Bigger The Tractor, The Less You Use It..... #5  
I had a Minneapolis Moline Big Mo 500 TLB in the past. I rarely used it because it was more of a monster than I cared to deal with. It could dig a hole about 13' deep and the hoe bucket was so wide, that with very little trouble, it would dig a how wide enough to put a casket into. One of the reasons for this is that it, like my truck, also came from a cemetery. Whenever I used it, it would go through 5 gallons of gasoline very fast. I didn't like the feel of the machine traversing over rough ground, with the front swing axle that could pivot 2.5 feet up or down from center line. Overall, it was a great machine if you wanted to do serious digging or loader work, but was an overall nuisance to do any small work with it. I had originally purchased it in 1982 when I built my home and it served me well. After seeing the BX22 at the Woodstock Fair, I decided that the smaller BX was more practical for my use and promptly sold the "monster" on e bay. It sold with "buy it now" for $2500 in 48 hours. Some may say that I sold it too cheap, but I also realize that it wasn't that desirable with the the associated parts shortage for a 1964 machine. Big tractors are nice if you have the work for them, but the smaller tractors are easier to do that small job when it comes. I think nothing of pulling the BX out for a 15 minute job.

/ The Bigger The Tractor, The Less You Use It..... #6  
<font color="blue"> I have a 89 HP Kubota with a 15' flexwing mower. To cut my property, it takes about 5 hours. If I had a CUT and a 60" rotary cutter, it would take me over 15 hours -- so yes, I would use the bigger tractor less. </font>

I would say the larger machine has more specialized uses than a smaller tractor, and that is why it gets used less.
I use my NH TC18 eighty to ninety percent of the time, but the Ford 8N gets used when I am brush-hogging or I need to use my box blade or pull something that the smaller tractor can't handle. The smaller tractor is the prefered one, mainly because of easier handling a smaller tractor.

/ The Bigger The Tractor, The Less You Use It..... #7  
CUT have been around in earnest for about 25 years and I have never seen one with more than 5000 hrs on it but there are a whole slew of 25 years old AG and even utility tractors with way more hours than that. The mechanic at a shop I go to owns a JD 1120 with 16 000 hrs on the meter,original motor,no major overhaul, only a couple of sets of new fuel injectors, granted this one is more than 25 yrs old, its a 1974 I think ,but still....
If your statement was true we'd be all discussing our Sears 5HP garden tractor /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ The Bigger The Tractor, The Less You Use It..... #8  
I had my father's Massey 165 with the big rear wheels and FEL for 2 weeks to do jobs around the yard. As it is only 2wd and no loaded rear tires, plus his diff lock doesn't work due to pin siezure, he had some tractor issues to deal with. Because of all this it was rather limited in functionality. However, it is a tall tractor, and rather large. So after using my B6100 for 2 months now, personally I'd much sooner have a CUT for 99% of what I'd like to do. Even comparing a 4wd CUT to a 4wd full size, I'd rather the CUT for it's versatility. Slower, yes. But I think, more fun. Besides, slower can be a good thing, as slower = more seat time. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ The Bigger The Tractor, The Less You Use It..... #9  
I think this will depend on what kind of property you have and how you use the tractor. I know when I bought my BX23 I did think about getting a bigger tractor but with only 1/2 acre I figured after a certain point a bigger tractor would be total overkill. If I got a bigger tractor once I finished some of the bigger jobs I have to do I would probably have no justification to keep it. Having a smaller tractor I can somewhat logically have a justification to keep it around longer because the ease of use of the smaller tractor will make me more likely to pull it out for even very small jobs. Plus the cost savings of the smaller tractor over the bigger one means I can spend that money on more implements which will allow the tractor to do more work. For instance if I had gotten a B series Kubota tractor using it to mow the lawn to me is total overkill - sort of like using a combine for a lawnmower. With the BX if I put a mower deck on it it still borders on total overkill ( my lawn will be easily mowed with a push mower) but I could justify it if I could find a BX mower deck at a decent price.

/ The Bigger The Tractor, The Less You Use It..... #10  
Holds ture.
It may take tad longer w/less horse power but its easy to get in and out of tight places,which means less arms strong..or back power..to get the job done.