B2400 starting problem finally solved

/ B2400 starting problem finally solved #1  

victor43

Tractor
Kubota B2400
Since last summer, when I tried to start the tractor, most times it would take up to 10 or so tries turning the ignition key on and off to finally start. With each try, I could hear the starter solenoid click. I cleaned the battery terminals, battery clamps, and ground connection to the frame. Problem not fixed. I then replaced the starter solenoid and that didn't fix the problem. Since I needed the tractor to start without fail for winter snow blowing, I had the Kubota dealer pick it up for repair. He replaced the starter switch and it started OK all winter. This spring, the problem started again. When I used jumper cables to start it, it would start OK. I assumed the 8 year old battery was bad so I replaced it. Problem not solved. I then temporarily installed new battery cables. Problem still not solved. Finally I read Kubmech 's posting on this problem (7/15/04). He explained that the increased resistance in starting circuit as the parts aged caused a decreased voltage to reach the starter solenoid. When this voltage decreased enough, the solenoid did not have enough current to engage. His solution was to install a low voltage relay which would engage and allow full voltage from the battery to engage the starter solenoid. Use of John Deere part AM107421 was recommended (Approx $18). Since I had tried almost everything else (and didn't want to have to send the tractor back to the dealer) I bought the part and installed it. Tractor had sat for about a week and started on first try. The part has been installed for over a week and the tractor has not failed to start on the first try. Installation is easy, it is almost as if this part was made for installation on a Kubota. Wires from low voltage relay plug right into the Kubota solenoid terminals and wire from ignition switch. (See Kubmech 's posting for detailed installation instructions). If you have this starting problem and cleaning the battery cable clamps, ground, battery terminals and your battery is good, I would suggest trying this part. The most you can be out is about $20. Wish I had read this posting earlier, it would have saved me about $350. Thank you Kubmech

/ B2400 starting problem finally solved #3  
<font color="blue"> Thank you Kubmech </font>

Kubmech does not post a lot these days, but his posts are top shelf always and if it were up to me he would have superstar status...

I second that thank you to Kubmech, as I am sure do many others here... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ B2400 starting problem finally solved #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Kubmech does not post a lot these days, but his posts are top shelf always )</font>

I agree. There has been threads discussing user titles based on the value or quality of members' posts rather than the number of posts, and I don't know how anyone would ever be able to do a reliable and accurate evaluation in that regard, but there are a few folks about whom there is no doubt, and Kubmech is one of them.

/ B2400 starting problem finally solved #5  
Darn it!!!!!!

I was following this thread because I had been having the same starting problem with my B2400. It was more of an annoyance than anything else but I failed to read Kubmech's solution. Darn it again!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I just dropped the tractor off at the dealer yesterday for it's 800 hour service and the starting problem was one of the other things they were to look at along with a real bad fuel leak. If I'd only been paying attention, it looks as if I could have saved myself a few dollars at least. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Boy, that makes me mad ... at myself. I hate to mess up like that. It may not be too late. Since it's a miserable day here today, I may just drop by the dealer and talk to the mechanic.

Once again, thanks for the info.

/ B2400 starting problem finally solved #6  
Once again, thanks for all the, thanks, guys. I can't take the credit for the fix. John Deere came out with that, close to 10 years ago now. Yanmar/Kubota...Nippon Denso..is, Nippon Denso...put two and two together and all this stuff just works the same. Just can't watch guys tear their hair out, when I know there's an easy fix. I still pay attention and check in quite a bit, but geeze, sometimes it looks like I could spend the rest of the night reading and posting. Which, when I have the time, that's fun. Just don't happen that often anymore. TBN sure has grown up, no suprise though, since the day I found this sight I was hooked. Sometimes, because of this sight, I was able to solve problems at the shop before I actually saw them.
Victor, glad to see your first post was because I could help you out. Just out of curiousity, did the JD dealer have that kit in stock or did they order it for you??

/ B2400 starting problem finally solved
Kubmech: I called up the local John Deere dealer, told him the part number, he had it in stock and I picked it up. I don't understand why Kubota doesn't offer a low voltage relay kit to fix this problem. I guess when the dealer replaced the ignition switch, it lowered the resistance so just enough current got to the solenoid to make it work. As the switch aged, the resistance increased causing enough of a voltage drop so the solenoid wouldn't engage. Thanks again for your help.

/ B2400 starting problem finally solved #8  
I finally got around to do the John Deere AM107421 relay kit modification to my B2400 after several years. My B2400 would not start the first several key turns. With this mod it starts on the first turn. Amazing!

The mod took about half an hour. Most of that time was spent deciding where to attach the relay. I decide to attach it to a support for one of the fan belt pulleys because it had an easily assessable bolt that also looked like it was grounded to the engine. Actual time doing the actual physical install was probably 5 minutes.

I'm posting 2 pictures with the mod. 1st picture shows the complete mod. 2nd picture shows how the relay is attached to the pulley support.

Thanks to Kubmech for discovering this mod

Attachments

• DSC_0030.JPG
    DSC_0030.JPG
    582.2 KB · Views: 6,671
  • DSC_0032.JPG
    DSC_0032.JPG
    302 KB · Views: 5,266
   / B2400 starting problem finally solved #9  
Old post, old tractor. Fix still works. Dealer quoted app $675.00 starter and Ignition switch, etc. Believe I am under $30.00 for part from John Deere, little bit of zip tie, tax, etc. If kubotamech (?) is still around, thank you.
Adding this in case anyone else is having this problem now,:):):)

/ B2400 starting problem finally solved #10  
I just bought a B2400 that had the starter issue, after a quick search I found this thread. Just ran over to the JD dealer and picked the AM107421 relay- - -she's starting like a champ now.

Thanks All ! ! !