Pallet Forks - What's your experience?

/ Pallet Forks - What's your experience? #1  

RIRICH

Pallet Forks - What\'s your experience?

I have a few "more" questions to throw out. What type of experience have people had with pallet forks on B7500/2410 tractors? I've researched the variables "clamp-on", "replacement for loader," for weight and price and have read through the post. I'm leaning towards the loader bucket replacement type , but I'm interested in feedback on both or any others I my be overlooking. One quetion that comes to mind is, How does the bottom of the bucket hold up with the clamp-on forks? Thanks in advance.
Rich

/ Pallet Forks - What's your experience? #2  
Re: Pallet Forks - What\'s your experience?

Rich,

I'm interested in the same question, and I bet there has to be difference in weight capabilities between the different styles. If your fork-lifting needs are relatively light, the clamp-on ones look real handy. However, the ones that have a bar that engages hooks on top of te bucket look even quicker/handier, and (possibly?) have a little more lifting capacity. I presume that the ones that replace the bucket have the most lifting capacity, but at what price in terms of convenience? It would almost seem that it would be easier to have the forks mounted on a separate FEL frame, and use the FEL quick-change to swap between one and the other (if you needed the lifting capacity).

The GlueGuy

/ Pallet Forks - What's your experience?

GlueGuy, Here's some info for ya.
3pt forks, wt 90#, cap 1200# - $200
clamp -on, cap. 1000#, no wt avail. (for now) - $300-400
loader replacement type, wt. 220#, cap. 1200# - $500
I figure the clamp-on have to go about 100#. I do agree with you about the ones with the chains, but then you also have the forks that use the loader that attach on top with a bar. I'm still checking around a local dlr's trying to track someone with the clp-on's. It's almost like trying to pick out the tractor!!! Maybe if there are a few people interested someone will cut us a deal?
RICH

/ Pallet Forks - What's your experience? #4  

Rich,

You may also want to look into the 3 pt. type pallet forks. You could get a hydraulic set that hooks to your 3 pt hitch that would give you the greatest lifting capabilities. The clamp on and hook to the bucket types are handy for brush and light pallets, but with the forks that far forward, you create alot of leverage and will want plenty of counter wieght. Another thing to keep in mind is that when lifting a load, with clamp on forks, you can roll your bucket in a way that sends the load heading at the driver. Ask Harv./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

MarkV

/ Pallet Forks - What's your experience?

MarkV, 3 Point Hydraulic forks? What are the particulars? who make them? Sounds interesting.
Rich

/ Pallet Forks - What's your experience? #6  

Hi everyone /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif ,

Coincidentally (with the posting of this question), I spent yesterday using my forklift attachment unloading pallets/steel frame members from a flatbed trailer and my pick-up.

Short version; I love it!

Longer version; I choose the "quick-attach" (and it IS!) bucket-replacement forklift with adjustable forks and load-guard made by Rankin, over the JD factory version because of what I consider a better guard. The "guard" on the JD is simply a vertical extension of each fork, with the load free to fall-on-you between them (duh!).

The guard on the Rankin is just what you would expect, a metal frame 40" high, extending across the full 52" frame.

This safety feature is one of the reasons I decided AGAINST the clamp-on type of forks.

The lift/reach ability of loader forks have to be considerably better than 3-pt forks, if you are going to be loading/unloading pallets (or other bulky items) rather than just "moving" loaded pallets around at surface level.

Reaching a pickup bed, and side loading a flatbed trailer (over the tires?), and centering the load (you can't ALWAYS "push" a load to the center with the forks) are obvious problems. Another aspect to consider is that some objects allow for insertion of the forks at a higher point, so that the load 'hangs-from' rather than "sits-on" the forks.

This allowed me to pick up a load that my loader wouldn't "lift", but WOULD " roll-back". I inserted the forks thru some steel girders that were heavier than my max. lift capacity, and it wouldn't budge it. I tried the rollback, and the load came clear of the trailer bed by a few inches, ...enough for me to pull the trailer out-from-under. I then drove the tractor to where I wanted the load, and lowered it -- done! (funny how it came DOWN easy, ...just wouldn't go UP /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif . (If my forks had been at the bottom of the load, I couldn't have driven the wheels past the forks, nor could I have picked up the load under the "balance-point", which was behind the tires, as I approached from the side.)

Bottom line, I recommend bucket-replacement forks with a guard, for a safety reason, with greater strength possibly a bonus (the Rankins I have are rated for 2000#/ don't know about clamp-ons). The lift capacity should be about the same (I doubt that the Quick-attach frame/guard w-forks weighs much (any?) more than the bucket w/forks. In my case, it is certainly lighter than the Long 4n1 bucket I use, even W/O any forks on it (550-600#) /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif !

And I recommend loader forks over 3-pt forks, for lift ht./reach considerations. If these functions are not important to you, 3-pts. might be fine.

I realize that the original question was asking about certain models/brands of tractors. I don't know anything about those, but hoped that these general observations might be of interest to someone ( my rig is a JD4700).

ps; I also have chains to prevent the forks from "swinging" freely away from the frame, ... this allows me to control the angle-of-attack of the tips at all times.

HTH /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Larry

/ Pallet Forks - What's your experience? #7  

Rich,

I am sorry I don't have any information on brands for you. I know one forum member has a set but the old mind just can't come up with the name. As I understand, the hydraulic type of 3pt forks give you a much higher lifting ability than the 3pt itself. Like a regular fork lift, the forks ride up and down on vertical rails. I do think Larry is right that the reach would be better with loader forks. Guess it just depends on what you have to do.

MarkV

/ Pallet Forks - What's your experience? #8  

<font color=blue>you can roll your bucket in a way that sends the load heading at the driver. Ask Harv.</font color=blue>

Thanks, Mark! I had almost forgotten about that day. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

Actually, I will never forget that day. In fact, I've been thinking about some ways to prevent that from happening the next time I have a brain fart while lifting a fork load too high. You can bet I'll post it when I come up with something.

Other than dropping lethal objects on my head, I still like the clamp-on forks. They are very quick to install and remove (90 lbs apiece), they do not swing out at the bottom, as is the case with the hook-on-at-the-top kind, and they store away very compactly.

That doesn't mean I haven't seen their downside. Any fork setup that is added to the front of the bucket has visibility problems. I frequently have to jump off the tractor to go see if I'm lined up well. They don't have enough rise on the vertical part to suit me sometimes, and you can knock them askew (pivot sideways) without even knowing it.

If I were going to be doing a lot of actual palette work, I would probably opt for a set of 3-pt forks, unless of course you need to lift them up high as opposed to just carrying them around.

Like so many implements, it's a matter of what you need it for, how often you'll be using it for that purpose, budget, etc. Earlier, I answered some questions about my forks in this post, and posted this picture, just in case you like watching old re-runs. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Pallet Forks - What's your experience? #9  

Hi Harv, /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

VERY GOOD POINT, about the fork visibility issue!

Not having used clamp-ons, I didn't think about this issue. But with seeing the fork-tips being a very big part-of-the-game, both for effective work, and for not-causing damage, and with those tips hard-enough to see with a bucket-replacement set-up, I'm sure this aspect would put me even more in the "replacement" camp, if I had used both.

The "knocking-askew" that you mention does not happen to my set-up, since the forks are difficult to move out of position, when the anti-swing-out chains are on, at the bottom of the forks.

Considering all that has been posted, if there are no specific choice-limiting factors (cost, of course, storage space, no-need for max. lift/reach performance, etc.) I think the "pluses" of the replacement rig make it the first choice for all-around performance and safety!

/ Pallet Forks - What's your experience? #10  

Whoops!, hit "post", when I meant to add a final thought, ...

The quick-attach bucket-replacement fork rig seems, to me, to be like the 4n1 bucket, ...not a must-have, but definitely the way to make the "most" of your tractors potential!

I'll post photos when I officially "debut" SUPERBABY /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif !

Larry