Block heater in BX tractor :dealer install or me?

/ Block heater in BX tractor :dealer install or me? #1  

AKFord

The dealer has given me a price of $43. 98 for a block heater and hose (why a new hose I don't know, I didn't get a chance to ask since he faxed me the info) and he is charging $69. to install it. Has anyone installed one of these in a BX 1500 or one of the other BX tractors? I have never worked on a diesel, though the frost plugs should be the same concept as a gas engine. I cannot imagine what a new hose would be for unless he is installing the type of block heater that goes into the upper or lower radiator hose. Does this sound like a reasonable price to anyone out there? I am quite handy and qualify as a "Saturday Mechanic" but I don't know what kind of pain in the rear these engines are to work on. I don't know if I should save myself the $69 and install myself or if the labor/pain in butt factor is worth the money, which I highly doubt as it doesn't seem like a difficult job. Any input would be appreciate, thank you.

/ Block heater in BX tractor :dealer install or me? #2  
I assume that you are a new buyer of the tractor. If that is the case, the dealer should install it for free as a good will gesture. It will take under an hour to do. I would only go with the block heater as the ones that go in the hose aren't nearly as good. It is an easy job to do yourself and the part will cost about $30.00 plus $5.00 shipping from www.Tractorsmart.com. Here is one post from a long time ago.... BX Block Heater.... and here is another..... I am sure that there are others, so just do a search and you should find them.

/ Block heater in BX tractor :dealer install or me? #3  
I don't have one on my BX2200; wish I did though. A long time ago, a friend and I replaced the engine on my Volkswagon diesel Rabbit pickup (o.k. guys, not TOO much laughing /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ). We took the block heater out of the old engine and put it into the new one. The block had several round holes bored out (I presume for weight reduction) which were filled with small lightweight plugs. Knock out a plug and you've accessed the cavity where the coolant flows around. (Drain coolant before doing this.) Insert heater in hole, tighten, attach wire, refill coolant. It really was simple. Then again, the engine was on a hoist, not bolted to the motor mounts & surrounded by a thousand wires, tubes, and other parts.

If this is a new purchase, the dealer really should do it for you. If not, that's what any mechanic would probably charge.

/ Block heater in BX tractor :dealer install or me? #4  
I installed my block heater in my BX2200 myself. My dealer didn't have any in stock at the time of purchase but did offer to install at no charge. On my BX it took about an hour to install. There was a soft plug that had to be taken out and the heater went in. I teflon taped the threads and have had no leaks in four years. If I remember right, I think it was a 17MM allen wrench to remove the soft plug. I bought the wrench at Sears hardware. I think it was about $10.

/ Block heater in BX tractor :dealer install or me? #5  
$69 to install? are they NUTS. It will be over $100 total for the heater. Or you can buy it as Junkman stated from tractor Smart for approx $30 (as I did in the spring).

It is easy to do just watch the wires that are right by it. They are easy to catch when you have a big hex wrench in there (to remove).

/ Block heater in BX tractor :dealer install or me? #6  
Hello everyone,
About the block heater,what junkman said is on the money.I just installed one on my BX22. All you need is the large allen wrench and some teflon tape.I didn't drain the the block just made a fast switch.I waited till I had to do my fifty hour service. While I had the side cover and loader off I did the alternator up grade too. The upgrade on the alternator was a little time consuming because no one told me I had to drill the bell housing.(no bushing in my machine)

/ Block heater in BX tractor :dealer install or me? #7  
Don't remember who had it last, but there was a MM Allen wrench that was being passed around by one member to the next to install the heater. This was about a year ago. One member bought it and then passed it on to the next person, who passed it onto the next, and so on and so forth, until it stopped somewhere. Possibly this post will get it moving again. Junk....

/ Block heater in BX tractor :dealer install or me? #8  
Uh, if the wrench resurfaces about October, I'd like to borrow it. Plan to install one prior to winter.

THANKS.
Ron

/ Block heater in BX tractor :dealer install or me? #9  
Here is another thread on the block heater. According to this last post in the thread, the tool was last in the hands of Tom, NY_Yankees_Fan. You might try to send him a PM and see if he still has it............ Junk....

/ Block heater in BX tractor :dealer install or me? #10  
Ron

The last member to have the wrench was B21NUT (John D). I asked him to send it back to me in April but I have not heard from him. I sent him a private message tonight. I will let you know if I locate the wrench.

John

Attachments

• 486207-17mm stub.jpg
    486207-17mm stub.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 153