Kubota Super UDT

/ Kubota Super UDT #1  

BIGUN

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1500
In my BX1500 service manual on page G-16 under “Changing Transmission Fluid” it states,

“Important: Use only multi-grade transmission oil. Use of other oils may damage the transmission or hydraulic system.”

This is the only reference I have seen to the required specs for the UDT other than of course recommending Kubota Super UDT.

The other day at Sam’s I noticed they had a pail of 20W UDT for about $16 and a pail of 10W-20 for about $21. I was wondering if these are comparable to Kubota UDT and Super UDT. It appears the 10W-20 UDT would meet the “multi-grade transmission oil” requirement stated in the service manual. This is a lot more economical oil than the $70 Kubota Super UDT.

Is it any more necessary to only use the Kubota Super UDT in the transmission than it is to only use Kubota Motor Oil in the engine, or would the Sam’s 10W-20 be just as good? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Kubota Super UDT #2  
Until there is a specification number associated with Kubota Super UDT, there is no way to know if there is a identical product on the market that will replace it at a lower price. I don't see the price as much of a problem, because you don't change it that often. I know that dual franchised dealers often use other brands of oil in Kubota's without problems. The one problem that I see with this is that if there is a failure, Kubota might not cover it under the warranty if you do it. They might give the dealers more flexibility in this area in the event of a failure. All though the probability of failure is slight, the possibility is there and I am not a gambling man. Today, the lubrication materials are so specialized that you should use what the manufacturer suggests to be on the safe side. I have a friend that is a service manager at a large Dodge dealership and he has told me that they do see failures as a result of the wrong lubrication product being used. Chrysler analyzes the lubricant for all warranty claims where there is a question of why it failed. If they find a non approved lubricant, there is no payment for the repair from them.

/ Kubota Super UDT
Junkman,
I know from your post that you have been in contact with Kubota on a few occasions. Have you ever asked them if they have a UDT specification number or plan to release one in the future?

/ Kubota Super UDT #4  
I have used Chevron Synthetic THF in my Kubota since 50 hours and DELO400 multi-weight motor oil as well. I have not experienced any problems in 300+ hours since those changes.

I have a Dresser Dozer that I use Chevron products on for several thousand hours of use and when I saw the price of the Kubota oil at the dealer I decided to ask the Chevron distributor - he said the synthetic Tractor Hydraulic Fluid met or exceeded the Super UDT specifications. As I recall, it was quite a bit cheaper -

/ Kubota Super UDT #5  
I asked, but never received a reply..... They are still "looking into it". That is how they answer a question that they don't want to answer. Other times, they will find the answer and call back with the information that was requested. I have had two calls this past week telling me that they are still trying to find the engineering drawing that I requested for the Hydraulic Chute Deflector for the BX snowblower. Some products such as Super UDT are proprietary products and they don't give out that information. I am certain that there are other products out there that are as good or better, but I don't have the knowledge to determine if they are or aren't. Many times a supplier will make a generalized statement that their product is as good or better, but can they back that statement up with research? I doubt it. For that reason, I will err on the side of caution and spend the extra $50 per 300 hours that it cost and use the recommended fluid. Others might not see it this way, and they are doing what they feel is best for them in their machines. There is no right or wrong, until something goes wrong with the machine and it is caused by the wrong lubrication product being used. When this happens, if it is in warranty, you will not be reimbursed. If out of warranty, then you have to pay for it either way. After my machine is out of warranty, I might see it differently, but for now, it is only Kubota products. Before using the RotellaT synthetic in my tractor, I checked with Kubota to be sure that it wouldn't invalidate the engine warranty. They said it is fine, so I use it. I also asked about HHO (same as #2 diesel) and they said it was fine also, so I use that to. My car is the same way. I pay extra for OEM parts, but I am assured of the quality being designed for my car rather than a "fits all" product that will work, but not as well possibly. The only after market item in my car is the battery. I use only the manufacturers recommended lubrication products and filters. It isn't that much more and the peace of mind has a value too. I feel that if Kubota spent the money to develop a specialized fluid, then there must be a reason. If there wasn't, then why didn't they just take some off the shelf item and use it?????

/ Kubota Super UDT #6  
My thought is that unless Kubota SPECIFICALLY says otherwise, there is NO guarentee that they AREN'T using a "off the shelf" product and just packaging it differently. Many companies do this. Heck, when you buy Exxon gasoline, there's not guarentee you're actually getting Exxon gasoline. They've been known to import other brands if it's cost effective from what I'm told.

I've been using NH UDT for some time in my BX with no problems. In fact, my dealer recommended it to me versus getting Kubota Super UDT.

/ Kubota Super UDT #7  
There is one THF that has the Super UDT specifically listed. It is Chevron Synthetic THF.. It only comes in 5 gallon containers and do not have a current price listing for it. Just looked at its label a few minutes ago.
Good luck
GregH

/ Kubota Super UDT #8  
THF = tractor hydraulic fluid??????
UDT = ????????

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Kubota Super UDT #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( THF = tractor hydraulic fluid??????
)</font>

Correct.

/ Kubota Super UDT #10  
I thought it was THF = Transmission/Hydraulic Fluid. What UDT stands for I have no idea.

Vernon