Snow BX23 Snow Plow or Blower

/ BX23 Snow Plow or Blower #11  
Like Junkman said if you get a blower, front or rear, you will need a cab. I did not have $3K for a cab so I made one using a golf cart cover for $125. Here is the link.

link

/ BX23 Snow Plow or Blower #12  
I live in the snow belt of NY state, and run a blower behind my L3710, without a cab. Before the Kubota I plowed with a truck and before that I plowed with a tractor. After 5 winters with the blower, I'll never go back to a plow. 1 pass and you are done, no snow banks, no getting stuck and not having to plow multiple times with the major storms are all benefits to using a blower.

I take care to blow with the wind, otherwise you eat lot of snow.

I also like the fact that I still have use of the fel for cleaning out the mailbox area and in front of the garage.

/ BX23 Snow Plow or Blower #13  
I have a BX1500 with a loader and a rear blade with horsemat material on the west slope of Braddock Mt. near Frederick which gets more snow than most of the area. My driveway is about a 200 ft with a slope and I would also plow some of the neighbors driveways. I never felt that I really needed anything else to move the amount of snow that occured around here last winter. I'm sure a blower is faster, and so would hiring someone with big equipment, but it sure seems alot more fun to use a blade and a loader, and also to use them to build snow forts for kids. I do my plowing in reverse, which may be difficult with 1000 ft.

/ BX23 Snow Plow or Blower #14  
Snow forts can be dangerous if the snow caves in on them. I hate to ruin your fun, but it is something to think of. I lost a friend many years ago to a snow cave in. He was buried alive and no one knew where he went to until it was too late to save him.

/ BX23 Snow Plow or Blower #15  
Definitely snow blower, but who needs the stinky cab!!! especially when it is over $3,000 and what is the matter with you guys, can't deal with some snow on your face!!! what a bunch of @#$#% /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. Just kidding, if you've got the money then why not... I just use a pair of ski goggles and good enough to go.
Alex

/ BX23 Snow Plow or Blower #16  
I'm with 16valex. No cab isn't the end of the world. I've used a walk behind blower for years, and working with the wind is important. So is using a helmet. Yes, I said helmet. As in full-face motorcycle helmet. Looks odd, but keeps you warm and dry. Use a tinted shield when the sun is out so you're not blinded. I've had my share of snow in the face to improvise. If the neibours are standing there laughing, turn the chute at 'em! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just kidding.
But the helmet does work on the windy days.

/ BX23 Snow Plow or Blower #17  
LOL I just ran across this post.. used to do some snowblowing years ago and never thought of taking my motorcycle helmet out of the garage. What a dope! Used to get the occasional good blast in the face too. Now, I'm in the market for a tractor for my retirement next year, and was wondering about snow removal..

Are tractor mounted snowblowers built well enough to handle the occasional rock? I will be trying to clear a gravel (dirt and rocks really) road about a third of a mile long (mostly fairly steep hill - I'm near the top) in an area that gets plenty of snow. (Margaretville NY, the cultural center of the universe.) I have mostly considered blades because of the rocks that a blower would naturally pick up..

My uncle used to plow this road sometimes with a back blade, but he had a huge ag tractor with ag tires. I would likely be using something between a BX23 and an L3400 with turf or industrial tires, though I'm sure I could put chains if necessary..

/ BX23 Snow Plow or Blower #18  
Funny thing is just today I bought a used 48" Lucknow snowblower for the B6100. Needs a little work to make me feel it's 100% ready for snow. I think with the HST it should work out just fine.
48" blowers seem hard to find around here. I bought this one at a Deer John store, so it's green ( /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif). Paint job next summer. At least back to it's original blue. Or maybe nice orange, perhaps.

Bring on the snow. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif .....but not too soon!

/ BX23 Snow Plow or Blower #19  
I have a bx2200 with both a front blade and a snowblower for clearing a 300' gravel drive......rocks, gravel, and the occassional newspaper go thru the blower without any problem. Watch the windows and small animals!

/ BX23 Snow Plow or Blower
Thanks for all the help. I went to Frederick Kubota to buy a plow. Well I did ... But bought a RTV with a cab,heater,plow,wipers,lights.Dump bed. Just received chains for it also. Now if we get deep snow I will use the BX loader. Sure hope this thing will plow. Guess I will find out.
The plow and blower would have been cheaper then what i bought. Just retired so needed a present. Now sitting in my shop.. New this year is a BX23, RTV900 and a ZD28.
Kubota loves me..........I guess likewise