Snow BX23 Snow Plow or Blower

/ BX23 Snow Plow or Blower #1  

jpalasek

Tractor
Kubota ZD331 Toolcat 5600
I am a new member here. Not new to Tractors had a L2900 for the last 5 years. Have a case 1840 skid loader and a ZD28 to cut grass. Traded in the 2900 for a BX23. Wanted a smaller tractor to get around the house and had a need or want for a back hoe. Now I am thinking of moving snow. Live in Maryland Frederick area and was wondering if a blade or blower would be better. Have about 1000 ft Drive with some hills.

/ BX23 Snow Plow or Blower #2  
Buy the blower and a cab. I like spending other peoples money. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif About $2200 for the blower and $3500 for the cab. It will take too long with the blade and you won't be able to handle the next blizzard that is coming this winter. Order what you want now, because they disappear quickly from dealer inventory. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ BX23 Snow Plow or Blower #3  
I see you're in Frederick. I don't know how you feel about it, but I saty as far away as possible from "BackYard Power". The guy that bought it from Richardson's is an idiot ! Try your luck at Hickory Intl or Balto Turf Eqpt. MUCH nicer people to deal with.

Good Luck, Tim

/ BX23 Snow Plow or Blower #4  
How much snow do you get? I don't know that Md gets enough to justify a blower. The blade will do more than you can imagine. Angle that thing and you can probably run the entire length of your driveway in no time

/ BX23 Snow Plow or Blower
I bought it at Frederick Kubota. Great people to deal with. I did buy my 2900 from Richardsons but Back Yard Power is way out of line. Would like to get a cab but can't find one to fit the BX23

/ BX23 Snow Plow or Blower #6  
I have been faced with the same question for my BX22. The snoblowers are expensive. I'm thinking of a rear blade to compliment the loader for snow removal. I am looking at two blades which are around $300 each. One is a worksaver DC-5 the other is KingKutter 5' blade. The tractor dealer is pushing the worksaver, but the KingKutter is a bit heavier (191 lbs vs 126 lbs). Does anybody have any experience with either of these blades?

/ BX23 Snow Plow or Blower #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am looking at two blades which are around $300 each. One is a worksaver DC-5 the other is KingKutter 5' blade. The tractor dealer is pushing the worksaver, but the KingKutter is a bit heavier (191 lbs vs 126 lbs). Does anybody have any experience with either of these blades? )</font>

You can get a 60" Midwest rear blade without tilt for $300 delivered, and it is much higher quality and a bit heavier than the other 2 you're looking at. Their 60" blade with tilt is around $400 delivered. And you can get them in Kubota grey.

/ BX23 Snow Plow or Blower #8  
I believe that Lauren in Canada has modified their BX22 cab to fit the BX23. Here is a discussion of the cab for the BX22.... web page

/ BX23 Snow Plow or Blower #9  
I have had a BX1500 for one winter in NE Massachusetts (on the NH border). I used a backblade and FEL for snow removal on my 800' dirt/gravel driveway.
Following are some random thoughts on the subject:
My theory when purchasing was that with a FEL you can move any amount of snow, albeit slowly. The FEL works well for breaking and stacking the town plow drifts at the street. It's also good for close-in work such as around cars, doors, etc.
The backblade works well on smaller amounts of snow (3-6 inches), which we have here most often.
If you get a backblade, make sure to get skid shoes, or if you're on blacktop, many TBNers have used a strip of horsemat or other rubber to prevent gouging. I have no experience with the rubber strip option.
I did "build" (cobble together might be a better word) an extension for the blade, so rather than about 12" tall, it's more like 20" tall.
My driveway is level (as in, you're at the same altitude the entire length), and I use turf tires with no chains. Sometimes I even forgot 4WD until I hit a large pile.
All of this worked quite well - I plan to go into this year's snow season the same way.
And none of this is to say I wouldn't like a snowblower. They do, however, cost a lot, and at the time I purchased I wasn't sure of its overall performance on my relatively ungraded driveway.
From what I understand from the folks here, if you have a snowblower, you'll want a cab. Without the blower, it's not as big a deal - and a lot more money saved.