How to remember!!!

/ How to remember!!! #1  

16valex

Silver Member
Tractor
bx23
How to remember!!!

Folks,

I've been reading a lot of posts here, I'm currently own a BX23, and I have to say that it's one hell of a versitile machine...

So far so good, but the stupitest things that I keep forget from time to time are the ROP and the brake. I had bumped my garage not once but three dawn times already, and the DW said " that's it three times and you're out". What is your secret to remember to lower the ROP before entering the garage?? And the brake, I occationally left it engaged for hours before realized to disengage, what kind of damage I may face, having the brake on for long period of time?

Thank you for reading
Alex

/ How to remember!!! #2  
Re: How to remember!!!

The solution for you is to get a higher garage door opening. As for the break, it wasn't set tight enough to do any damage if you were still able to move the tractor. Everyone that owns one of these machines has done what you have done, but some won't admit it. I learned about the ROPS late in life. In the beginning, I was conscious of it... it was only after I had the tractor for a while that I became so comfortable with it that I forgot. Same with the brake. Now I don't use the brake unless it is in a place that it can roll. I avoid those places as best I can. If I have to park on a hill, I put the tractor 90 degrees to the slope. Problem solved.... I hope... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ How to remember!!! #3  

You can always dangle a tennis ball from the garage door so that you are consciously reminded to duck when you enter it. That would remind me until it became learned. My rops are not foldable and I have a quarter inch of clearance. When I loaded my rear tires no one mentioned that they get taller. I nearly took out the garage with that one.

/ How to remember!!! #4  

Once you hit it good and do some damage that you must spend hours repairing, you will remember much better! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Second time backing into the garage, I was watching the back hoe, THROUGH the ROPS, and totally forgot about it. When I heard the cracking, during the half a second or so it took me to realize wjhat was going on, and then not being able to stop the tractor because I was unfamiliar with the controls (vs. my old Ford 4000), I had pushed the entire door frame back about 3 inches. I kicked myself for a while, and fixed it up as best I could, using the FEL to hook the frame at the top and pull it gently back out, while banging a hammer against the various pieces where they "slid" apart. I had to go through this a few times and the frame still isn't right, but the door closes OK. You have to look close to notice the damage, but it's there, and a reminder to me every time I look at the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
My plan to to get a car port with sides and door that is tall enough to allow the tractor to fit inside at its tallest.

I don't think you can hurt the brakes because they are wet disk. I asked my dealer about adjusting them, according to the manual, and was told they have never had to adjust the brakes on any Kubota, they just never need it. I don't know that this would be true if you continuously leave the brake locked, but you probably aren't causing much wear with these wet disk brakes.

Chris

/ How to remember!!! #5  

Alex,

After doing the "brake polishing" routine a couple times, I set the brake so that the tractor won't move without releasing the brake. Well, it might move, but the hydro sounds a bit different. Since then, I've not forgotten.

As for the garage door, my ROPS is not folding and I have to push my door up about an inch as I pass under it. It's just become part of the routine. Which is fine for me until my wife takes the tractor out and forgets to check the clearance. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The tennis ball dangling from the raised door idea may be just the thing to remind you to check the ROPS.

/ How to remember!!! #6  

About the door, after I hit it the first time /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif (no damage) I now keep a vise grip plier on the seat of my BX23 when its parked inside.When I go to start it, they remind me to push the door up all the way and clamp it at its highest point, my ROPS clears the frame with no problem. On the brake I have the same darn problem I forget to release it, I wonder if you could hook up a back-up alarm and make it serve both purposes??????

/ How to remember!!! #7  

After doing this a couple of times, my wife suggested using a wind chime that hangs on the facia board of the garage. It looks good to her, gives her pleasure to hear, and stops me from doing $400 damage to the garage door that I did the last time.

/ How to remember!!!

Folks,

thank you all for your humble and humorous suggestions. I don't feel the only air-headed here. I really like the ideas of wind chime and tenis ball dangling.

I also feel better that I didn't ruin my brake system. As for the brake reminder, I'm thinking about a mod that would light up a yellow light on the instrument panel every time the brake is pushed down, maybe some of you on this forum would beat me to the design and I will be glad to purchase it with a reasonable price /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Thanks again for all the great ideas.
Alex

/ How to remember!!! #9  

I have done this with the use of a micro switch. I had just taped it in place for a test run. I am experimenting with a few differant type switches and hope to find the best solution shortly. If it ever stops raining, I intend to figure a way to make it permanent and to detail the operation on these forums.

/ How to remember!!! #10  

i don't have a folding rops, and my tractor just fits under the door IF THE DOOR IS UP ALL THE WAY SO I DEVISED A SYSTEM /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif where i have a bungee cord attached to the rafter and when i pull out i hook the other end to the door so it stays up ALL the way. to make sure i don't forget i i have a sign hanging that hits me when i pull out. have not damagged the dorr yet and the sign really make a nice coversation peice /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif see attachment. simple but works

Attachments

• 494097-door sign.jpg
    494097-door sign.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 161