B2710 Power steering problem?

/ B2710 Power steering problem? #1  

nykyfyr

Tractor
Kubota B2710
The steering on my 2710 is becoming harder and harder. I looked in the owners manual for a power steering pump but could not locate one. I also can't locate anyway to check the reservoir for it. Any ideas?

Thanks

/ B2710 Power steering problem? #2  
The B2710 Work Shop Manual (WSM) contains an entire section (22 pages) on the power steering operation and troubleshooting/adjusting.

The PS hydraulic pump sucks oil from the common tank in the transmission. The troubleshooting guide gives the following causes for hard steering:

- Bad or insufficient fluid
- oil leak from pipe joint
- hydraulic pump malfunctioning
- improper relief valve adjustment
- relief valve malfunctioning
- valve housing and sleeve malfunctioning
- seals in the steering gear box damaged
- backlash between sector gear shaft and rack (piston) too small
- air in hydraulic pipes

I would check the easy stuff like fluid and lines then purchase a WSM and follow the troubleshooting procedures contained it it.

/ B2710 Power steering problem? #3  
My power steering problems with my 2710 are well documented from 2 or 3 years ago. Kubota did a lot of work on it and it is about 80% fixed. Before, when it got hot after brush-hogging at least 2 hours in 95-100 degree weather, the steering would bind so bad in medium range that it was worse than no power steering at all. Letting the tractor idle to cool down would fix it for a few minutes, then it would come back. The first time I took it in the dealer duplicated the problem and changed the fluid and the power steering unit. When I got it back and found that it still wasn't fixed, the dealer then said they "couldn't duplicate the problem" although they admittedly didn't work it enough to find out. I got the Fort Worth rep in the picture and he showed up at the dealer and after one hour of mowing he declared me a liar.

After 215 hours of lousy steering in hot weather, and after the tractor was out of warranty the same Kubota rep called me and said they had a fix. Funny, since they had said before that they didn't believe I had a problem.

Anyway, they retrofitted some hydro and steering lines and replaced a screen with a filter.

Since then, my steering binds in high range after it gets hot, but it is hardly noticeable in medium range where I usually mow. I'm very fond of the tractor and have had no other problems in 590 hours, but I'll stay mad at Kubota for their attitude about the whole thing. It was wrong for a customer who had spent $16K on a new tractor to have 215 hours of trouble, and in fact some minor quirks in the steering even now.

Hopefully, your tractor steering problems are not attrbutable to anything that can't be easily duplicated and fixed. And, I only know of 2 other tractors that had similar problems to me, both are members of this board.

/ B2710 Power steering problem?
I really hope this is not a model defect. I have put 30 hours on the tractor since I bought it (had 200) and it just started doing it. I ordered a WSM from a local dealer and am picking it up today.

To me, it mechanically sounds like its lacking fluid. The cheesy manual that came with the tractor indicates that the power steering is fed by the reservoir for the transmission; and that level is up to speed.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

/ B2710 Power steering problem? #5  
I have 934 hours on mine and have never seen or had this problem.

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I just realized that when I first bought it the transmission reservoir was pretty low on fluid. My local dealer sells Kubota and John Deere but gave me JD transmission fluid to top it off with (said that is all they had). The manual indicates that you should use only Kubota fluid and also not to mix fluid. I knew better but having a new toy and really wanting to get some seat time I went ahead and used it. That's what I get for not having any patience.

So I'll bet that this may very well be the problem (bad fluid).

Looks like my first step will be to change out the fluid and filter.

/ B2710 Power steering problem? #7  
I have just over 600 hours on my 1999 B2710, and I have a very slight binding or rough feeling to the steering when the tractor gets hot when mowing the yard. Does not do it on black top or when going real slow, just when turning at speed when cutting. I think it has just as much to do with the bouncing of the tractor changing the weight on the front end. As it does with the heat. Has been that way for the past 3-4 years. I have a friend with a two year old one that just started doing the same thing this spring. I use super UDT and I only notice it when its hot out. If it doesn't get any worse I guess I can live with it. If Kubota had a fix and it was free I would do it. Let me know please!

/ B2710 Power steering problem? #8  
Von, yours sounds like my '99 B2710. It only did it a few times, only in hot weather, running fast, with the brush hog on in the pasture.

/ B2710 Power steering problem? #9  
nykyfyr
I have had similar problems as Alan L. with the power steering on my B2910.
One of the fixes was to change the Transmission Oil and Filters. Be sure to use Super UDT.

Picked up a five gallon bucket of UDT fluid, two filters and a WSM ($170 bucks /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)

I'll be servicing in the next day or two and will let you all know how it worked out.