Do you have chain hooks welded to your BX loader ?

/ Do you have chain hooks welded to your BX loader ? #1  

Junkman

Tractor
2003 Kubota BX-22
I am doing an informal survey for something that I am thinking of developing. I need to know if you have chain hooks welded to the top of your loader bucket on your BX tractor. This only pertains to the BX series of tractors, so only that information will be of any use. If you do, and you can post a picture of where on the bucket they are located, I would appreciate seeing it. If you don't have a picture, could you just give me a rough description of where they are welded on. Also any reinforcing that might be welded on to accommodate the chain hooks. I have posted a picture of mine so you will understand what I am looking for... I will give more details of what I am thinking of at some time in the future. Just not ready to let the cat out of the bag .... thanks for your help.... Junk /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Attachments

• 499815-MVC-018S.JPG
    499815-MVC-018S.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 836
   / Do you have chain hooks welded to your BX loader ? #2  
You may be able to see where my hooks are in this pic. I had the shop put mine on top of the bucket in-line with the arms. I think that should be the strongest place when using chains to lift. BTW when I moved that tree limb I had it almost dragging the ground, that height was for the pic which was way to high to go truckin around the yard.
P.S. Junkman, thank you for the nice things you had to say about my website, you may want to check it out again, I have added more pics, mostly my pets.

Attachments

• 499846-Treelimb1.JPG
    499846-Treelimb1.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 746
   / Do you have chain hooks welded to your BX loader ? #3  
Yep, used some angle iron I had in the scrap (saw the idea here). I put mine just outside the level indicator and equal distance on the other side. I used 5/16 hooks (ordered online).

OOOOOOOOPs, went back and looked after posting this--they are 3/8" hooks, not 5/16s. Sorry. <font color="blue"> </font>

Ron

Attachments

• 499894-bucket hook.jpg
    499894-bucket hook.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 725
   / Do you have chain hooks welded to your BX loader ? #4  
Although I've never had a BX, the loader on the L4310 had the same bucket. You know, the one with the crappiest level indicator I've ever seen on any bucket of any brand. Anyway, I ended up with a setup very similar to RonR. The only difference was that I welded a flat 3/16 flat plate against the back of the bucket after I pulled a pucker in it with just using the angle and the hook. I don't know, perhaps the BX series won't pull as much as the "L" series, but they seem pretty stout from what I've seen. I don't have the tractor anymore so I can't send a pic. However, I've yanked the #*$# out of it and never bent anything after using the flat 4" x 4" plate welded to the back of the bucket where the angle goes against the bucket.

I do have one question though. I've welded dozens of hooks on buckets. I've always run down to my local Rural King store and just bought the standard hooks and used my chop saw to make them flat on the bottom. Where did you guys get the hooks that you didn't have to "fabricate" to make work? They would save me about 1/2 hour per tractor. Besides, I bought one of those really cheap "Russian" made wheels for my DeWalt chop saw and it exploded on me when I was cutting the last hook I was modifying. It left a nice 2" gouge in my right chest when it came apart. Needless to say, I took off what was left and pitched it along with the other 4 "Russian" made wheels I had bought from Harbor Freight for something like "5 for $10". The gash in my plexiglass face cover I was wearing proves that safety equipment is definitely worth using!!

/ Do you have chain hooks welded to your BX loader ? #5  
Weld-on grab hooks can usually be purchased anywhere chains are sold. Also, several internet vendors carry them. Here are some from AW Direct.

weldable grab hooks

/ Do you have chain hooks welded to your BX loader ?
I have seen them in tractor dealers that have a parts room with a show room attached. I have found that you can tell just from walking into the parts department of the tractor dealer as to what level of parts inventory that they have. If they have shelves lined with lubricants, paints, etc. for the customer to pick up and purchase, the shelves behind the counter are most likely full of parts also. If they display nothing, then they stock nothing. Just my rule of thumb from my observations.

/ Do you have chain hooks welded to your BX loader ? #7  
Not a BX, but a B7500 with LA302 loader. Looks like the same design of bucket.

Piece of 3" angle inserted just under top curl of bucket welded every few inches to curl and to bucket. Used full width to spread load over full width of bucket. Hooks are modified with pin loops cut off and bottom flattened. Welded with a 225 amp buzz box, didn't trust the MIG for adequate penetration on this heavy metal.

Hope this is some help.

Attachments

• 499983-FEL-Hooks-Rear-View-small.jpg
    499983-FEL-Hooks-Rear-View-small.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 564
   / Do you have chain hooks welded to your BX loader ? #8  
Junkman, mine are located in pretty much the same position as yours, but do not have the added metal bar...mine are welded directly to the bucket. I sometimes wish I had one in the middle, too, but I have not had any situation where I couldn't compensate with the two outside ones. (I also have a hook welded on the back of the 'hoe bucket) My dealer installed the hooks prior to delivery of the machine at my request.

/ Do you have chain hooks welded to your BX loader ? #10  
I have not welded a bucket hook for anyone except those who read TBN.

An aftermarket hook that could be put on without welding would probably sell pretty well.