Greasing the BX23

/ Greasing the BX23 #1  

Tractor_Jim_CT

Silver Member
Tractor
BX23
When my BX23 was dropped off on Saturday, as part of my tractor review, I was instructed to grease the fittings where appropriate. My question is where can I buy the appropriate grease gun and what should I look for. What to look for to know it's time to apply grease.

Thanks BXers

/ Greasing the BX23 #2  
I went and bought a good grease gun at NAPA. Save the instructions. At the time I bought mine, there were 2 or 3 "grades" of manual (non-pneumatic) guns available. I got the middle grade and also purchased a flexible hose for the thing. Seems to work great. I'd pass on the cheapest guns available. Been there, done that, glad I got the one at NAPA.

/ Greasing the BX23
Is there a standard size bit that fits the end of the hose on the grease gun to fit the grease area fittings on the BX23?

/ Greasing the BX23 #4  
I opted for a cheap grease gun at Wally World and it hasn't let me down once. I purchase a few cartridges of quality grease while I am there. I put a few pumps into the fittings when I remember... about 1 a month... it seems that there is always plenty of grease in the joints when i do them and I have never found any water coming out of the joints. Just make sure that you get them all.. The book says every 10 hours of loader work, but that is hard to determine.. Just use your gut feeling when it is time to add grease. Always have a few paper towels and rags while you are performing the task. It can get messy quickly. I have never needed any adapters to get to all the fittings. Just common sense when and how much.

/ Greasing the BX23 #5  
Nothing like an air powered gun, I have a cheap one and it works great. ($20-30)
An air compressor is one of the best accessories for your new tractor that you can get. A required item in my opion...
Have fun with your new baby!!!
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Greasing the BX23 #6  
When I got my BX23 I knew I already had a grease gun somewhere at home but could not find the thing so I just bought another one and got a tube of good Moly grease at the tractor dealer to fill the gun. The gun I got I think was a Plews brand which you should be able to find at any good auto parts store. They had 2 or 3 different guns to choose from at the tractor place - I ended up getting the one that had a short 10 inch or so tube sticking out of it - then I bought a 10" hose to replace the tube and got the appropriate end for the hose and that has worked great for me since. Having the hose on the end of the gun makes it easy to snap the end onto the grease fitting and have it stay there. One or two pumps on the handle until I see grease start to work it's way out is all it takes on each fitting. I find I use a lot of paper towels though - I try to be careful about not letting big gobs of grease build about around all the pivot points. If you are going to use an air powered gun remember that you will have to haul an air hose out every time you need to grease the tractor.

/ Greasing the BX23 #7  
There are rechargable battery operated grease guns available. I was looking into buying one to replace my pump style gun which was leaking out of the fitting connection. I bought a new tip for $3 instead of the $200 for the battery operated unit. After greasing the BX23, I'm glad I didn't spend the extra. It wasn't difficult or take long at all, but you will probably want to get the flexible hose.

/ Greasing the BX23 #9  
In addition to the sage advice already given...the tractor is easy...pretty much only one place to grease...the hydro pedal. (at least on my BX22) Now, the FEL and BH have a whole bunch of places that take grease!