Oil & Fuel Diesel engine emergency shut-off

/ Diesel engine emergency shut-off #1  

Sherrell

I have Kubota L3400 . It just occurred to me after reading another post that if , for some reason, the key failed to shut off the diesel engine, I don't know how else to shut it down other than pulling up to a tree at low idle and popping the clutch in high gear. Is there a better way?

/ Diesel engine emergency shut-off #2  
On my Ford 2120 there is a pull knob for emergency shutoff on the post under the stering wheel. If that doesn't work then you can shut off almost any diesel by turning off it's fuel with the fuel shutoff most of them have in their fuel line.

Andy

/ Diesel engine emergency shut-off #4  
If the engine isn't a runaway, then open the hood and smother the air intake. Starving the engine for air will stop it.

If the engine is a runaway, then get away from it. Don't get hit by flying shrapnel.

/ Diesel engine emergency shut-off #5  
On my L3700 there is a kill switch to pull. I'm surprised you don't have one. Mine is a '99 HST. Don't standard trans. Kubotas have a kill switch?

Kevin

/ Diesel engine emergency shut-off #6  
They will eventually run out of fuel. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just kidding obviously. Really you just yank the coil wire off. Oops, that won't work either. How about grab the fan and stop it? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

All joking aside, it is a good question. Other than being able to stall the engine, as mentioned earlier either fuel or air deprivation would be your only options. Older diesel tractors all used to have the "little red knob" to pull instead of the now, key activated, solenoid that does the same job now.

Again, good question especially with a hydro, since it would be more difficult to stall a hydro especially if you didn't have a loader or other attachment to aid in the "stalling".

/ Diesel engine emergency shut-off #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( for some reason, the key failed to shut off the diesel engine, )</font>

There should be some sort of shutdown on the fuel pump.
If yours shuts down with the key, there should be an electric cylinoid of some sort on the fuel pump.
If its not working you can throw the little lever on the pump by hand to shut it down.

/ Diesel engine emergency shut-off #8  
Whatever you do, do not put your hand over the air intake to smother it.....

/ Diesel engine emergency shut-off
I have read my manual thoroughly and no mention is made of any alternative means of shuting down the engine in case of electric switch failure. I suppose clipping a wire to the solenoid which I can hear clicking when the switch is turned on would be an option. Now I just have to find the solenoid. Thanks for all the input.

/ Diesel engine emergency shut-off #10  
On most of the newer HSTs if left in hi or low range will shut off the fuel and kill the engine if you leave the seat.

They will also shut off the fuel if the PTO is engaged and you leave the seat.

My older tractor had one lever to pull to shut off the fuel and one lever for decompression. Either would do the trick.