Three Point Control Range UPDATE

/ Three Point Control Range UPDATE #1  

RAllen

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 2910
In a recent series of posts, I complained my real control range of my 3 point was from 6 to 8 on my 2910. One of the features of the 2710-2910 and possibly others is a control of the 3 point over a range 1 to 8.

I promised to give an update after I got my 2910 back from the dealer. Here goes:

After much discussion, a call to Kubota and checking other tractors on the lot, my problem was a combination of the control linkage being out of adjustment like BIRD mentioned and the control system being asymetrical sp???

Adjustment produced a range of 4-8 for upward movement. Control range 1-4, according to Kubota, is for DOWNWARD movement only. In other words is you are going from control range 8 downward you will still have some lift a 4 and can fine tune it down to float at 1.

I did test this and it seems that, after adjustment, I do have downward range adjustments 4,3,2 with float of 1. Think they need to explain this better in the sales and operators literature.

Rick

/ Three Point Control Range UPDATE #2  
Thanks for the information, Rick. I think I understand, but am not too sure that's actually the case; but maybe so.

Bird

/ Three Point Control Range UPDATE
Bird

I may not have done a good job explaining. Bottom line, you have eight control points on the way down. You only have 4 on the way up. Actually, going to complicate things here, you have unlimited points within a fixed range. The adjustment is more fine on the DOWNWARD'S side thus you can fine tune it over a wider control range- 1-8.

Bird, and others, please try this out and let us know.

Rick

/ Three Point Control Range UPDATE #4  
Rick- Sorry, I forgot to ask my dealer about this last week /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif. Too excited about getting the new tiller, I guess /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. But your description is pretty close to what I found with my 6 week old 2710. In the original thread I wrote:

<font color=blue>With the position control all the way down, lower links very low to the ground, when I move
the control up the links don't move until the leading edge of the control lever reaches "4".
Then raises all the way to the top of the range, "8". Moving the lever down from top
position, I see movement when the leading edge of the lever reaches aprx. "7.5" and
continue to see movement until the lever gets to "2". Then nothing to the lowest position.<font color=blue>

<font color=black>Dave

/ Three Point Control Range UPDATE #5  
Rick,

Thanks for the information. My B21 seems to act like the others and starts its lift at the number 5 or so. Am I understanding right, that positions 4 or 5 down to 2 are down postions without being in "float"?

MarkV

MarkV

I sure am no expert, going out on a limb here, but my understanding is #1 position = float. All other positions = fixed height with 2 being the lowest fixed position.

However, if your linkage is out of factory specs. by even a little bit, you may have no difference between 1 and 2 or even 3.

I have played around with my rock rake and box blade and it SEEMS to be the case. I bet there are some real tractor gurus that will chime in and tell me if I am wrong.

/ Three Point Control Range UPDATE #7  
RAllen, actually all the positions are "float" except the very top; i.e., implements can always float up but the position the lever is in will limit how far down it can float. Now of course if you have lifted an implement off the ground, then it doesn't seem like it's "floating" but if you drive across a ditch and the back wheels go far enough down for the implement to contact the ground, then it can rise with the terrain and you'll see what I mean.

Bird

Bird
Of course you are right. As you know I was talking about DOWN float.

I do know there is more down float at "1" than just horizonal. Does anyone have any idear how much down float is possible. Think it depends on top link adjustment but I am guessing perhaps -10 degrees if horizonal = 0 degrees.

RIck

/ Three Point Control Range UPDATE #9  
This doesn't make any sense to me. Bird's description is correct. There are upper and lower stops that limit travel in both directions. As you lower, as some point (apparently different on most tractors), the hitch will hit the lower limit an go no further down. When you raise it up, it will eventually hit the upper limit and go no further. You could argu that you are in "float" any time the implement is on the ground and the position control is set lower that what's needed to lift it since it can then freely travel up and down without impedement.

This float stuff sounds like double talk to me in this context.

I really think the answer to all this is quite simple - the control lever/linkage is just not a very precise mechanism. As a result there is variation from tractor to tractor in the amount of control lever travel required to cause full travel of the hitch. The adjustment precedure ensures that full up on the control corresponds to full up on the hitch. Your mileage will vary on when the hitch hits the lower stop on the way down, and when the hitch first lifts off the lower stop on the way up.

Good engineers come up with designs appropriate to the task at hand, neither under designing nor over designing. Maybe they were a bit on the under design side of the line with this particular mechanism

Hayden

As far a "down" float means. I can only tell you how my tractor proforms. On level ground, an implement grounds out at a certain point. If I hang the implement over a wall, the implement goes down a bit more past the point it came to rest on the level. You can check this out by looking at your lower 3 point arms. Without an implement, the arms go down past level. This is where I get the -10 degrees estimate. I really have no idea what it is exactly. Of course there is a down limit but, at least on my tractor, it is past level.

It may be we are all talking about the same thing but looking at it from different perspective. It make sense that there is some downward capability past level to allow you to keep the implement on the ground when topping a slight crest. This capability is limited but it is there and it makes sense.

Rick