L3130 w/ R1 or R4??

/ L3130 w/ R1 or R4?? #11  
We've got R1s on our L-3130 GST.

One thing about a tractor is, you cannot do any serious work without serious traction. Even with R1s it is very easy to overpower the traction with engine power whether you are loading up the FEL or pulling a stump or log with a chain.

As far as tip-over goes, I don't go over 15 degrees without getting out of there, 20 degrees would not be good.

/ L3130 w/ R1 or R4?? #12  
Ditto what Henro says. So much depends on your terrain and type of soil. Here in Vermont my neighbor has R4s on his big 5030 and is constantly swearing when the ground is wet. Can't count how many times he's had to be pulled out of muck. Also, going uphill across a grassy meadow after a rain he slips a bit, which tears up the grass wicked bad.

So after watching his problems for a couple of years I went with R1s. I don't really care if they leave tread marks in the pasture; at least I don't get stuck. About the only time I wish I had R4s is when doing road work; those R4s really excel in sandy soils and also at compacting the road after it's been crowned.

It all comes down to your conditions, though, just like Henro said. Pete

/ L3130 w/ R1 or R4?? #13  
Hi...

On the L3130... R4's vs. R1's...

...the R4's give a wider stance... and I think are not as tall as the R1's...

Putting tire chains on the front R4's may create a clearance problem when turning full-lock...

Dave...

/ L3130 w/ R1 or R4?? #14  
All this talk about getting stuck....

I'm sure there are puncture downsides... But I've never gotten my B2910 with turfs stuck.... I've gone through the swampy woods, loaded manure in foot deep mud that was slick like grease... Plowed lots fo snow with no chains...

Never had a problem...

On wet grass I know people with R1's and R4's that slip and slide all over... Turfs put way more rubber to the ground than the others but don't cut as deep.

Is there something in between like and R4 with a block tread...

I guess we're all still searching for the perfect tractor tire....

Regards,
Chris