L35 Clutch engagement noise in high gears only ?

/ L35 Clutch engagement noise in high gears only ? #1  

leisalu

Tractor
Kubota L35
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifI have a L35 with 500 hours. In the higher gears like 4th and 5th the machine makes a noise when I engage the clutch in either forward or reverse and take off. It sounds like a chatter when I take off and then goes away when the machine is fully engaged and rolling. It only does it when engaging the clutch and taking off Does not make any noise in lower gears upon clutch engagement. Kind of sounds like it's coming from the rear end but I may be wrong, Anyone have any ideas on what this may be ???

/ L35 Clutch engagement noise in high gears only ? #2  
If your clutch is not slipping, My guess is the pilot bearing (bushing), in the fly wheel /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

If you have oil or grease on it, it may also chatter, most noticed while engaging in higher gears. KennyV.

/ L35 Clutch engagement noise in high gears only ? #3  
This doesn't sound right to me. I have never heard anything like what your describing coming from my L35. I would definitely get this checked out. It just may need a pressure adjustment on the clutch. I believe this can be adjusted without a major breakdown of the clutch assembly.

P.S.
This may be stupid for me to ask you but you do know you do not have to use the clutch to switch gears or even start moving? I thought this may be worth mentioning to you. Please post back when you find out what the problem ended up being. Good luck to you.

/ L35 Clutch engagement noise in high gears only ?
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thanks for the response to my noise on the L35 while taking off or shifting. It makes this chatter sound while using or not using the clutch while shifting. The clutch does not slip. It only does it while taking off or initially while shifting when the machine is under a slight amount of torque. Do you still think it may be the pilot bearing and how hard is it to get at this ? Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks !

/ L35 Clutch engagement noise in high gears only ? #5  
If you are getting this sound while NOT using the clutch, then I don’t think it’s the pilot bearing…??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Pilot bearing is mounted in the center of the fly wheel, the transmission input shaft plugs into this bearing. When it gets worn it will allow the input shaft enough movement that it tips the clutch disk, causing the pressure plate to grab and chatter…

In order to get to it, you must split the tractor. Not an impossible task, but not a pleasant one either /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I would not want to do it as a diagnostic approach. I guess I am not following as to when you are getting this sound? KennyV.

/ L35 Clutch engagement noise in high gears only ?
Upon closer inspection I find that this noise is coming from under the seat towards the rear of the tractor. Could be the rear end final drive and that's a guess. Sounds like a dry bearing or something loose with some play. Makes the noise when starting out in a higher gears only and once moving is quiet. Reminds me of like a bearing chatter. Totally quiet and not there in lower gears. Does it in forward or reverse and with or without using clutch. Anyone have any ideas on what this may be ?

/ L35 Clutch engagement noise in high gears only ? #7  
leisalu
Could that noise be the brakes? Try lightly taping the brakes while it is making the noise and see if it stops. Remember, you have brake discs right there in the rear end.
Lewis