Oil dipstick heater?

/ Oil dipstick heater? #1  

carver4591

Tractor
Kubota BX 2200
Hi I have a bx 2200 and I would like to know if there is any problem with using a dipstick heater for cold weather? I have one I used to use on my Farmall super C.

/ Oil dipstick heater? #2  
Wecome to Tbn! This is just my opinion . So it doesn't mean that much . But a diesel requires heat to fire . so a warm block (as in block heater ) would help in the starting process.
A dipstick heater would basically warm the oil and oil pan ... not the entire block . Also the dipstick heater would tend to "coke " or overheat the oil that is in contact with it ,as there is no circulation .Like I said , Just an opinion . I'm sure that others will follow . Again welcome to TBN . John

/ Oil dipstick heater? #3  
I'll second Nixon's post. If it's below zero I crank up the salamander to warm things up before starting, I might also put a 500 watt magnet heater on the tranny and 1 on the oil pan. 30 minutes with 110K btu's running under it warms things up no matter how cold it is. I've seen guys do the same thing with skidders and dozers with temps below -20.

/ Oil dipstick heater? #4  
I would like to add what Nixon has to say. I had a dipstick heater on a car back in the early 80's. After about a month I noticed caking on the dipstick. It wasn't long and the heater actually burnt out from the caking and the heater would overheat. As far as helping the motor start, yes they do but I would never use one again based on experience. I would get your self a good block heater or inline water heater. Kubota does make a block heater, I would just get that as it is designed by Kubota. Yes it will be more expensive but your Kubota is not a toy, it is something you will hang on for a long time.

murph just kind of sneaking over from the blue side /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Oil dipstick heater? #5  
carver4591,
Welcome,
Now these are opinions also:
1 Dipstick heaters Don't work well or at all,
2 Block heaters work well for quick starting and fast warm up But don't heat the oil real well.
3. Reservoir pad heaters heat everything from the bottom up. Nice warm oil and engine but Don't heat the block and coolant to as high a temperature.

/ Oil dipstick heater? #6  
This thread already includes excellent advice. I have a block heater on my B2410 but my BX2200 does not have one (however it has the luxury of being in a 65 degree garage!!)

If you did decide to use a dipstick heater, you should switch to synthetic oil (which I run anyway).

Another fairly cheap suggestion is to get a battery maintainer. For about $50 you can keep your cranking power up nicely. Most come with a quick-connect system.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&productId=197012

/ Oil dipstick heater?
Thank you for all your help, this is a great forum! Brad