Mowing Kubota Parts Again - Mower Blades?

/ Kubota Parts Again - Mower Blades? #1  

Anonymous Poster

Just how bad is the Kubota parts inventory right now? I can see how some durable items may not have high inventory levels (e.g., loader control arm), but what about normal replacement items?
I damaged a mower blade on a rock that "grew" over the winter. Not one of the nearest six Kubota dealers had replacement blades in stock. (This is for 60" mid-mount mower on BX2200.)
Considering how many BXs were sold, and that blades and belts are normal replacement items, I'd say that Kubota's parts systems problems are more than minor. The part arrived within five days, but I had to pay $8.75 shipping + $5.00 "service charge" instead of just buying the parts over the counter.
My closest dealer sold at least 25 BXs last year. No mower blades in stock the next year on a new model with record sales? Somebody at Kubota HQ didn't look very far ahead!
.....Rich S.
p.s. Love the BX2200 and my local dealer provided a good service call on the fuel tank recall. Just concerned that the Parts Dept. isn't up to the standards of Engineering and Marketing at Kubota HQ.

/ Kubota Parts Again - Mower Blades? #2  
Rich,
Did they say they hadn't stocked them or they couldn't get them for stock???

The reason I ask is because we were almost caught in the situation of having no BX blades on hand... actually our parts manager came up to me and said "Did you know the BX mowers take a totally seperate blade than the other 54" and 60" decks?... I almost messed up and didn't have any on our shelf because of an assumption - did put in a stocking order a couple days ago for them." Fortunately the oversight was caught before any customers requested them...

They were in the warehouses, but we did not have them on the shelf at the dealership. The blades arrived the next day. I would blame that fully on us, not Kubota HQ.

/ Kubota Parts Again - Mower Blades? #3  
Rich, I wish we were perfect as dealers but I think that is where your problem lies. It does happen that the parts manger doesn't get told of the of the new machines being sold. We ship parts all over the world but we still get caught with out. As a dealer and a consumer I know your frustration but I don't believe it should be with Kubota as I know there has been no shortage of those blades. If the situation be properly explained and noted to the mangement of the dealer I would lay odds you get the extra charges credited to you and a big apoligy.

/ Kubota Parts Again - Mower Blades?
I guess my comments are based on having worked, years ago, on a parts system at a major auto manufacturer. We developed algorithms using local unit sales, parts replacement rates, warehouse inventory levels, cost, geographic regions and replenishment times to determine appropriate stock levels for different dealers. Different size dealers, with different product mixes, were advised of appropriate stock levels for different parts. (No snowblower parts in MS, many in MN.)
Replenishment time factors would have put mower blades in dealer hands in time for first mowings around the country.

I thought Kubota Parts would also have recommendations for parts inventory levels down to the dealer level. New products had default values entered by Corporate Parts guys until sales activity brought live numbers into play.

....Rich S.