Installing a block heater in a B2710

/ Installing a block heater in a B2710 #1  

nykyfyr

Tractor
Kubota B2710
Just bought a block heater for my Kubota and will be installing it this weekend. The instructions are a little vague, but I think I can handle it. Anyone have experience with the heater in their B-series tractor?

Thanks!

/ Installing a block heater in a B2710 #2  
Here are some threads on the subject.
Click Here
Click Here
Click Here
The last thread is how I installed my block heater without draining the radiator. Give it a try the worst that could happen is you have to refill the radiator. Make sure tractor is cold when you try this. Should set overnight to make sure there is a vacuum in cooling system instead of pressure.
You will need a 17mm Allen key wrench to remove plug.
Get some locktite thread sealant and have the heater ready to put in as soon as you get the plug out.

/ Installing a block heater in a B2710 #3  
I installed one on my B2710. It's a pretty simple job if you have the right tool. Go to Sears and get a 17mm allen wrench.

On the left side of the engine just below the manifold and just above where a hose goes into a block there will be a hex plug. Use a 17mm wrench to remove it. It will typically be somewhat difficult so you will probably have to use a good size cheater bar for additional leverage.

Once the plug is removed the block heater goes into its place. You might need a large socket to tighten the heater. Don't forget to use teflon paste or tape on the threads.

Simple.

/ Installing a block heater in a B2710
Wow, I really love this site. Thanks for all the good info!!

/ Installing a block heater in a B2710 #5  
I had mine installed by the dealer with no leaks.

How long before you start your tractor are you suppose to plug it in?
-Terry

/ Installing a block heater in a B2710
My dealer told me about an hour and to never leave it plugged in. Depending on the temp, I might supplement the block heater with my salamander.

/ Installing a block heater in a B2710 #7  
<font color="blue"> How long before you start your tractor are you suppose to plug it in?</font>

The goal is to raise the engine temperature.

Once the temp comes up, then additional energy is just used to maintian temperature. So if you plug in early, you just waste money keeping the engine warm till you crank it over.

So the key is timing. The colder it is outside, the more time it will take to get the engine up to temp.

If wasting money is not an issue, then several hours is not a big deal. Or just leave the thing plugged in all the time.

Myself, when it is really cold (0 deg. F or lower) I like to leave the heater on for an hour or so. Less as the temps climb, but always a half hour min. probably.

You will know when you start the tractor if you did not wait long enough. Cold starts sound different...

/ Installing a block heater in a B2710 #8  
I did not opt for (nor think about getting) a block heater for my new B7800. I live in the northern VA area & it usually doesn't get bitterly cold (to me that is 10 deg or below) but occasionally does.

At what point does one consider getting a block heater? I haven't done any research or asked my dealer what the cost is. At what point are the glow plugs not effective in cranking the tractor over... ie. I want to go move snow but the engine won't start...

Thanks for helping out a new tractor owner

/ Installing a block heater in a B2710 #9  
Had I read the one of the related threads then I would have received at least one answer to my "how cold does it need to be to need a block heater"...

RonjHall responded in an earlier thread: Thanks Ron

If you are storing your tractor inside and the temperatures stays above 10 degrees Fahrenheit you may not need a block heater. Most of today’s compact diesel tractors start easily.

/ Installing a block heater in a B2710 #10  
Inside /outside 10 degrees F is the same. Wind chill doesn' factor in either.

Make life easier - install a heater - use it for an hour or two before starting.

My diesel truck starts at -25 centigrade but it's sure not an option I wish to use.

Egon